• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 05:00:23 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Journey of the Five Battle Logs

Started by Jumza, March 29, 2013, 01:16:44 pm

Jumza

I did it! I beat Ch1! I won't go into detail because I did a play-by-play on IRC with some of the JoT5 guys. And that took forever XD. But It was so fun, I suggest everyone to keep going on they're own playthroughs or pick up the game and start one!

I would like to credit 100% of my success to Climhazzard and Invigorate.
  • Modding version: PSX
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

Desocupado

April 02, 2013, 12:08:49 pm #81 Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 12:17:12 pm by Desocupado
Random battles at the beginning are way too hard... Nintendo hard.
Maybe less enemies is in order. (from 6-11 to 4-7) i.e. they don't outnumber the player by so many units

Or maybe the characters could start with a bit more job xp (a couple of classes unlocked)

Pride

I havent seen many of the random battles yet, but there are "easy" ones. Like Bariaus Hill has one random with a squire, chemist, knight, and possibly one more squire.
Check out my ASM thread. Who doesn't like hax?

RavenOfRazgriz

Quote from: Desocupado on April 02, 2013, 12:08:49 pm
Random battles at the beginning are way too hard... Nintendo hard.
Maybe less enemies is in order. (from 6-11 to 4-7) i.e. they don't outnumber the player by so many units

Or maybe the characters could start with a bit more job xp (a couple of classes unlocked)

I thumbed through the Random Battles and a few of the ones I meant to be easier had higher enemy unit averages than I remembered.  A couple more units appear at random or just don't appear in most randoms anymore.

Note that some of them were intentionally Nintendo Hard and those didn't change, but they were the minority and are generally out of the way to encounter to begin with.

Expect a v1.3 release later today when Elric gets home with his new keyboard to do some stuff on his end with.

Durbs

We can use the same save though? Just to be sure?

Celdia

I know I'm lagging behind everyone else but I thought I'd update all the same.

So after some puttering around in random battles for a bit of gil and JP to unlock new jobs, along with some troubleshooting to decide that I didn't want to actually buy Cloud's Counter Deathblow reaction [I instead opted for Meteorain which is certainly useful in its own way] I ended up with Ramza as a Chemist, Cloud as a Ranger and Link as a Knight. I'm hoping those jobs actually lead into something useful. Ramza already has Priest and Wizard unlocked but I'm not making use of those skillsets yet.

Araguay Woods: The RNG has finally forgiven me [though I doubt this will last long] and Sleeper Hold is probably my favorite skill yet. Four successful 53% hits and a 79% out of six separate attempts and I absolutely dominated this map, including taking the time to crystal grind the two units without Focus Bands which netted Ramza the skill Cure, Shock, Sapling and I think Jump +1. So he's well on his way to being my first mage unit. Nothing much else to say. It's a 4 v. 5 and as such not really all that hard. I could've just ran in and tanked every attack, spammed nothing but Attack and Potion and still come out on top. Certainly my approach saved me some gil though.

Dorter: I missed one tiny window of dialogue when the club-wielding thugs jumped up and whacked everyone. That whole event is another beautiful piece of work though. Getting Agrias puts me in a spot of not knowing what to do with my team now. Very happy to see her added to the shop/bar/soldier office screens.

Nothing else to add right now over here.
  • Discord username: Celdia#0

MiKeMiTchi

Agrias can be seen to the shop screens now? Awesome! Nice one, Elric!
Jot5 GFX Designer :: Spriter :: Mitchi

gil

Any help for Zirekile Falls? I cant find a way to survive Nature Wrath and the Toughskin.  :|

tkul

Seems like snake is the secret to the patch. Hide + assassinate. Use the rest of the 5 to string the enemy out, focus down the ahriman while snake sneaks around assassinating all the important stuff. Even with >30% hit rates he succeeds like crazy.

Celdia

Quote from: gil on April 04, 2013, 02:57:17 pm
Any help for Zirekile Falls? I cant find a way to survive Nature Wrath and the Toughskin.  :|

You can pretty much outrun the Toughskin. If you move up the falls and keep your units on differing terrain heights, its ranged AoE attack can't really hit more than one unit at a time. Just focus on taking down one unit at a time. Between Link's Whirlwind and Cloud's Braver you should be able to take down just about any of the floating eyes or squids in one turn with maybe another attack from anyone else. Just bring some potions to deal with the reaction damage from Nature's Wrath. Once the Toughskin is the last thing alive it becomes a battle of attrition at worst. Just don't gang up all around it. That Sonic Spin can put on quite a bit of hurt.
  • Discord username: Celdia#0

Durbs

Quote from: gil on April 04, 2013, 02:57:17 pm

What actually helped me was yes, partly a lucky Sleeper Hold by Snake, but also Black Magic. Tornado did wonders for me, and shock nicely took care of the squids. What I did in the beginning was move invisible Snake in front of the bridge to stop the 2 squids from going across it (wasting their turns in the process), and have Ramza (since he was the one who I had using Black Magic) cast a few spells.

gil

Thanks Celdia. I kind of tried these things but not with success.  I guess I will try some more or restart and try more like Durbs said.

Thank you both :)

Durbs

Quote from: gil on April 04, 2013, 04:52:21 pm
Thanks Celdia. I kind of tried these things but not with success.  I guess I will try some more or restart and try more like Durbs said.

Thank you both :)

Yeah, don't feel bad. Monsters in JotF are kind of ridiculous. It took me quite a few tries too.

Barren

• Modding version: Other/Unknown
You dare cross blades with me?

RavenOfRazgriz

Looks like you had a rough time of things.

Hopefully you've updated to v1.3 for the next fight or it might be more than a little difficult.  (It'll still be a challenge but it'll be worse if you haven't updated.)

Barren

Quote from: RavenOfRazgriz on April 05, 2013, 10:13:08 pm

Hopefully you've updated to v1.3 for the next fight or it might be more than a little difficult.  (It'll still be a challenge but it'll be worse if you haven't updated.)

I actually did download v1.3 so that fight was tough but fun regardless
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
You dare cross blades with me?

Durbs

Quote from: RavenOfRazgriz on April 05, 2013, 10:13:08 pm

Pff. So he changes it AFTER I bang my head on the wall dozens of times. +_+

RavenOfRazgriz

No, no, Durbs.   I had already changed it when you played on v1.2.

Theversion on the v1.0 and v1.1 releases was even harder, and that one was already nerfed quite a bit from the InDev version.

Durbs

Quote from: RavenOfRazgriz on April 06, 2013, 02:48:55 pm
No, no, Durbs.   I had already changed it when you played on v1.2.

Theversion on the v1.0 and v1.1 releases was even harder, and that one was already nerfed quite a bit from the InDev version.