• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:40:52 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grim Grimoire Beta 0.7- Last Updated: 2/25/16

Started by Eternal, February 12, 2013, 01:48:41 am

Eternal

Necromancer exists in this mod already. :)

They're playable in the current version and are partially based off of Necromancers from Tactics Ogre. Feel free to give 'em a try!
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

snowday

Just read through the changes on the first post, although outdated, looks great!

One thing I'm wondering, I understand the removal of the Ultima skills since they were really strong but, any other way to reuse that animation somewhere as a different skill? It was really cool. Same for magick frenzy, doublecast, etc. would be nice to see these nerfed rather than removed entirely. (Maybe doublecasted spells only have 75% of their normal accuracy?)

I haven't played the original FFTA2 since the year it was released where I played the crap out of it, but here are the things I remember disliking:

-Overall difficulty was too just too damn easy
-Gil becomes pretty frivolous, this happened in FFT and FFTA as well though.
-Too easy to abuse auctions
-Goes for all FFT games, but I dislike how unique characters sprites/portraits don't change based on their job. Obviously that would take a lot of work, probably not in your department either, but I think that would be an amazing addition to the game.
- not enough random rewards. Each playthrough you end up with the same stuff, it would be interesting if each battle had a chance for a rare item or random loot, causing you to build your characters differently each playthrough.
- I liked the FFTA story and characters better  :mrgreen:

Its difficult since I don't have much of an idea for what is currently possible for the game in terms of hacking/editing, but man I've so many ideas for new classes and mechanics over the years. This style of game has so much potential and it makes me so sad square just kinda gave up on it, glad people are keeping it alive here!

Eternal

Ultima's animation is indeed used, so no worries about that! Magick Frenzy and Doublecast do still exist in somewhat varying forms as well. :)
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"

kylelopezwms

Are monsters catch/playable? I loved this feature in the first game, but each subsequent release, the monsters have been getting snubbed more and more T-T
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

kobzord

Hi there,

Sorry to ask, but I see that the last patch is dated as 2016, yet your comments shows news from 2018.
Is there another patch version besides the 0.7?

Thanks and keep up the good work!
-Kob

Blue Mage Fanatic

@ kylelopezwms
I highly doubt Eternal will do anything with Monsters beyond altering their stats and skills. I don't know if it's even possible to make Monsters recruitable since there isn't even a Capture command/function within Tactics A2. It kinda sucks, but that's just how it be.

Plus it'd be a wasted function since your party members will almost always be stronger than monsters in terms of raw stats thanks to equipment, and have extreme flexibility with Job Combinations and being able to freely mix and match passive skills. No reason at all to go through the hassle of even attempting to implement the feature, really.

Gonzool

Excuse me, is this project still alive? I just wanted to know, since I was considering helping with betatesting.

Eternal

Hey Gonzool, I'm still working on it, yes. Lately I've been working on FFXII modding, which has taken up what little free time I have. However, I'm basically done with my FFXII project (minus some future updates) and I'm working on re-examining this mod and continuing work on it. My FFXII project was serious, so I'm looking forward to getting back to working on the fun, non-serious jobs in this mod. :P

Gonzool

Oh that's good to hear! Your mod seems really innovative. Take your time. Meanwhile, I'll test the latest patch. :)

Jigi

• Discord username: Jigi

maroon

choogiesaur

Hi,

Just wondering if the version in the OP is the latest version? Or is the latest download elsewhere?

Cheers :)

DifficultSession

Is there something weird with the EXP gain in this mod?

Normally if you fight enemies that are below the level of your clan mates you get an EXP penalty but it seems like even if I'm 20 levels above them I get the same base 60 XP rate per battle. This causes some strange quirks like the level of my team having a wild level range of level 40s with level 25s for example. It never evens out due to the lack of this penalty. Is this intentional?

I've been enjoying the mod so far though and the new changes to the classes are definitely some fun flavour.

Toang

Hi,I really like your mod and you worked hard to make it.
I just started modding and trying all the tools in Current List of FFTA2 Editors and Modules,but it seems very limited.
So can you show me how to use and access hex to mod it.Tks u.

matchet

Someday, grim grimoire will reach v1.0 and get all planned stuff done, all fixable bugs and crashes if any, solved. Or at least I'm a very patient (or at least a faithful naive) person.

For now what is achieved is memorable at its least, and can only applaud Eternal for his continuous hard work through the years, and hopipng him for not losing his motivation on this awesome project

Crashmstr

Hey there! FFTA2 is one of, if not my favorite game of all time and I don't know why I didn't think about possible hacks to replay the game before but here I am!
It's awesome to see you still working on this, and I'm sure you've heard this a lot, but I was curious to know what the progress towards 1.0 was. As far as I can see, .7 is still the latest version?

What you're doing looks awesome and I really look forward to what the next release will bring so I can try it out.

steffanb

Thanks a lot. I'll try it out

Bonesy

considering Eternal has not posted here in two years you may be SOL
  • Discord username: Bonesy#9386