Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Nyzer [Posts: 1102]
  • View Profile
  • [October 08, 2019, 02:06:33 PM]
Re: Jobs and Etc. Ideas Proposal Thread
« Reply #80 on: October 08, 2019, 02:06:33 PM »
Well, the bigger concern is making a reaction skill like that in the first place. Not only is there no such reaction trigger, there's also no such mechanic for stopping a unit's Move mid-walk.

But yes, it would be stupidly broken. Especially as an innate. (Not that innate Reactions even work.) Lots of fields have areas that are only a few panels wide anyway, and you'd basically be able to completely block them off with just one unit.

You ought to be able to make it work anyway; Priests have a 3-4 range on their spells, along with 1-2 extra panels if said spell has area of effect. If your melee unit is directly between the enemy and your priest, that should be able to block them off for a turn. Especially if you have multiple melee units, or make use of chokepoints in the terrain, or take advantage of the CT system that allows your priest to set a spell on the ground, then step back, or to set the spell on your knight before they step forward.

If you really want your Squires to be able to better hinder enemy progress, you'd do better to give them a melee range Slow or Immobilize.

Or, if you actually do have the skill to make up new mechanics, recycle the unused Dark status into something that reduces unit Move by 2 (a status effect that affects a stat seems WAY more viable than an entirely new reaction AFAIK) then give the squires an ability that inflicts that. Maybe turn Counter Tackle into Counter Hinder as well if you also want a reaction out of it; all you need to do is put this skill in Tackle's ability slot.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 02:43:30 PM by Nyzer »
    • Modding version: PSX & WotL
  • Stone of Light [Posts: 5]
    • View Profile
    • [October 08, 2019, 03:04:45 PM]
    Re: Jobs and Etc. Ideas Proposal Thread
    « Reply #81 on: October 08, 2019, 03:04:45 PM »
    You ought to be able to make it work anyway; Priests have a 3-4 range on their spells, along with 1-2 extra panels if said spell has area of effect. If your melee unit is directly between the enemy and your priest, that should be able to block them off for a turn. Especially if you have multiple melee units, or make use of chokepoints in the terrain, or take advantage of the CT system that allows your priest to set a spell on the ground, then step back, or to set the spell on your knight before they step forward.

Yeah, no doubt I just suck at the game. The battle that really made me think of this was the one with Weigraf at the windmill in Chapter 1. You are sort of forced in a corner there and given l i t t l e room to move your more squishy units away from the action. However, perhaps it was the patch that I was playing with that was really the problem. I don't know that Weigraf had "Stasis Sword" in vanilla.

If you really want your Squires to be able to better hinder enemy progress, you'd do better to give them a melee range Slow or Immobilize.

Or, if you actually do have the skill to make up new mechanics, recycle the unused Dark status into something that reduces unit Move by 2 (a status effect that affects a stat seems WAY more viable than an entirely new reaction AFAIK) then give the squires an ability that inflicts that. Maybe turn Counter Tackle into Counter Hinder as well if you also want a reaction out of it; all you need to do is put this skill in Tackle's ability slot.

Thanks for the alternatives. I don't currently have the skills necessary to implement new mechanics yet, so I'm thinking applying Slow would be the best way to do it. (Immobilize seems a bit much).
    Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]