Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen/RetroArch is recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Pages: [1]
Neophyte Ronin [Posts: 145]
  • View Profile
  • [May 01, 2012, 10:48:06 PM]
[Old] Concerning Secret Elixir Battles
« on: May 01, 2012, 10:48:06 PM »
From my understanding, in Vanilla Tactics, as you progress through the chapters, enemy formations mature and become diverse.  Mandalia Plains features Black Chocobos, Vampire Kitties, and Gabbledegacks in Chapter Four, for example, even after the initial formations consisted of Red Caps, Yellows, and Red Panthers.

In Plus Edition, Encounters are fixed and only change according to point of entry.  Beginning in Chapter Four, there are also instances featuring hard-as-nails enemies.

If you manage to pull off the impossible and show off your unit at its best, you get acquainted with an Elixir or two.  That compensates for all those times beforehand, when human enemy units would stumble upon and collect them right before your eyes.  If you're really spot-on, you might be able to drag a few of the monster carcasses with you.  However, Dome's modified monsters (ones with hidden stats) cannot be poached, just so you know.  These are nowhere near the fights where a single opponent is twenty levels superior to your unit.  No, they're much further down the spiral, and yet they are appropriate practice before delving into the Deep Dungeon.  Thankfully, thematic as they are, figuring out the gimmick puts you that much closer to victory.

The question is: are these fights relegated exclusively to battlefields available only to Chapter Four, or...

...do we have to pour through prior battlefields from every angle until the new formations are found?  The phenomenon seems centered on Chapter Four, when new tough formations arrive, so I figured I'd ask before I go hiking across the world again looking for something to kill.  Is this phenomenon widespread or not?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 10:57:56 AM by Dome »
Dome [Posts: 4890]
  • View Profile
  • [May 01, 2012, 11:05:50 PM]
Re: Concerning Secret Elixir Battles
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 11:05:50 PM »
You should be able to get the elixir battles only during chapter 4

"Be wise today so you don't cry tomorrow"
matticus23 [Posts: 7]
  • View Profile
  • [May 09, 2012, 03:03:25 AM]
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 03:03:25 AM »
You should be able to get the elixir battles only during chapter 4

Are these battles a one-time thing or can you earn multiple elixirs by encountering the same battles more than once?
Dome [Posts: 4890]
  • View Profile
  • [May 09, 2012, 06:45:10 AM]
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 06:45:10 AM »
You can do them as many times as you want

"Be wise today so you don't cry tomorrow"
matticus23 [Posts: 7]
  • View Profile
  • [May 09, 2012, 12:50:11 PM]
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 12:50:11 PM »
You can do them as many times as you want

Excellent :)
Neophyte Ronin [Posts: 145]
  • View Profile
  • [May 09, 2012, 02:29:13 PM]
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 02:29:13 PM »
Yeah, just don't be ridden ragged and be forced to use one or two just to finish the battle.
Surprised to see me?
Otabo [Posts: 818]
  • View Profile
  • [May 09, 2012, 04:31:22 PM]
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 04:31:22 PM »
Yeah, I had to do those battles quite a few times to boost my Elixir stock (I'd been saving them all game and haven't used a single one) just for DD, because I knew for a fact that'd I'd be using them down there.
Pages: [1]