Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]
Queen of Palemoon
Celdia [Posts: 1645]
  • View Profile
  • http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198029710324/
  • [September 10, 2011, 09:08:01 PM]
FFT: Minimal - A Difficulty Hack ( v .01 )
« on: September 10, 2011, 09:08:01 PM »
So while I was taking a break from working on CCP more than a few ideas floated past me that I thought might be interesting in a patch, but none of them fit for CCP. I just compiled a list of random things and after a while felt like a combination of those might make for an interesting difficulty hack. I have also shamelessly borrowed from other patch ideas for some of the formatting of things here, so if you see something familiar don't be too surprised. So without further ado, let's get into the meat of what will be my next hack- FFT:Minimal.

Minimal is a difficulty hack based around limiting player options. There are less jobs, less skills and less equipment choices available to the player but the AI will not be held back nearly as much. Not quite sure what else to preface this with so I'll just resort to lists of changes since I'm good at those.

- Players only get access to eight job classes (base-8), plus Mime for reaching Job Level 6 in all eight of the base classes.
- All of the base-8 are accessible from the start of the game.
- None of the base-8 have any innate skills.
- None of the base-8 skills require MP. CT is required on most skills (possibly all except item skills - I'll have to check.)
- All skills cost 200 JP to purchase.
- All Equip X support skills have been removed.
- Weapon types have been reduced to the following list: Sword, Axe, Mace, Longbow, Knife, Pole, and Staff.
- Permanent Brave/Faith alteration has been removed.
- Equipment costs have been standardized by chapter.
- Most status effects have had their CT durations increased greatly, whereas Death Sentence has been reduced from 3 to 2.

I'll put together a list of the ASM hacks I've applied at the bottom of this. That should cover most of the other smaller changes and things to watch for. For now though, this extremely early release will focus on the base-8, so I'll try to cover those a bit more in detail here.

So there are the new classes. As you can see, they each have only one Reaction, Support and Move skill and some of those that persist from Vanilla aren't all exactly the same as they were. Since I started typing all this my brain has gone kinda numb so I'm just gonna list the ASM hacks here and post the PPF for now.

Another technical note: this does NOT use a restructured ISO and still contains only the vanilla sprites (except for some palette swaps on the Archer which doubles as the Ranger for now - they should be very distinguishable.) Hopefully this will cut down on some of the issues I was having with making PSP eboots of CCP among other issues.

For now v.01 only implements the base-8, new equipment costs per chapter and new loot rewards for event battles until the end of Chapter 1. ENTDs are otherwise mostly unedited. The opening battle at Orbonne has had all but one unit removed so players can more quickly start Chapter 1. You will start with a team of 6 generics, each with a different class and equipment. Ramza starts as a Fighter and the only job not represented as an option at Gariland is the Chandler (which was left out since you start with no items.)

As always, questions, comments and suggestions are welcome and encouraged. If they weren't I wouldn't be posting this, now would I? :3
Concepts and Balance Guru, Resident Violist
Zaen [Posts: 403]
  • View Profile
  • [September 11, 2011, 03:09:19 AM]
Re: FFT: Minimal - A Difficulty Hack ( v .01 )
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 03:09:19 AM »
So I was trying this out.. In the opening battle, I got to my first turn with Ramza, and as I was looking around at skills, I checked out Big Swing, and the game crashed as soon as I selected a square. Any idea why this might happen?

"Oh, God!! The Hokuten!!" ~Guard, Sand Rat Cellar
Choto [Posts: 823]
  • View Profile
  • [September 11, 2011, 04:13:15 AM]
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 04:13:15 AM »
I'm glad axes made the cut :) looks good!
Queen of Palemoon
  • View Profile
  • [September 11, 2011, 10:43:27 AM]
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 10:43:27 AM »
@Zaen: I had that same thing happen to me when I was first testing the skills to see if they worked at all. Crashed psxfin 1.13, I loaded it back up, used the skill again and there was no crash. I have no idea what that's about. While testing in ePSXe 1.7.0 though I've had no problems. I can only assume its a conflict with one of the other hacks (either ARH 1.2 or the Weapon Routine Redesign since that skill is affected by both) that the emulator just doesn't care for but I didn't find it to be a consistent problem. Since I can't recreate the error I'm not sure how to handle it. If worst comes to worst I can loosen the restrictions on that skill later so it doesn't get affected by those hacks.
Concepts and Balance Guru, Resident Violist
Zaen [Posts: 403]
  • View Profile
  • [September 15, 2011, 12:03:04 AM]
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 12:03:04 AM »
Hmm... ok. I've been using ePSXe 1.6.0 due to conflicts in the past, but I might feel persuaded to try again soon with the updated version.

"Oh, God!! The Hokuten!!" ~Guard, Sand Rat Cellar
Durbs [Posts: 617]
  • View Profile
  • [October 23, 2011, 01:02:38 PM]
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2011, 01:02:38 PM »
I like the idea of moves using CT vs MP. The more you act, the longer your turn takes to come. Neat. Will special characters get revamps too?

"Evanescence... what a sad word..." -Agrias Oaks

Queen of Palemoon
  • View Profile
  • [October 23, 2011, 01:56:48 PM]
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 01:56:48 PM »
For my initial idea, special characters were going to be set to never join the player as anything other than a guest. However, since I posted this I've had a different idea of where I wanted to go with it. I'm probably going to keep the cut down jobs and equipment types but the final product will be very not-Vanilla. I just haven't had any time to dedicate to this other than some brainstorming.
zaiahboy21 [Posts: 30]
  • View Profile
  • [May 07, 2012, 04:54:22 AM]
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 04:54:22 AM »
everytime i play the first fight it crashes, it gives me an op code error?? anybody know how to fix this?
Pages: [1]