Alma Gets a Job:
One of the most popular FFT spriting endeavors is to put Ramza's head on a different sprites body. Following in this tradition it is time to give Alma a bit more attention and give her a real job. Take Alma's standard head and find her a new body. One of the standard FFT female jobs is perfectly acceptable or she can have any other kind of job. Making Alma a standard chemist could be amusing or she could be an Assassin from Assassin's Creed, creativity is key. Making alterations to Alma's head such as giving her a crown or some sunglasses is also perfectly acceptable. Additional guidelines and submission format can be found under the Submission Requirements header.
This is a beginner's level spriting competition and even if you have no spriting experience this is a great chance to give it a try. Feel free to post multiple versions of the same entry to get feedback and improve upon it, just insure that the final version meets all Submission Requirements.
Submissions are due by midnight of the 20th of July. On the 21st all entries will be organized and a public voting poll will be opened for every community member to cast a vote. The poll will have a clearly indicated end time of the 24th to celebrate Alma's Birthday. The poll will be blinded and all users are allowed one vote, please respect the voting process.
Exact awards for the top three entrants are still in development. Expect at minimum some kind of permanent recognition for your accomplishments. Do not expect a particularly tangible award, such as something you would receive by mail. Submission Requirements:
1) A minimum of 1 front diagonal frame.
2) A job title for Alma to go with the sprite.
3) Cite all sources used including the name of the source sprite and the original artist. Reference "SQUARE" for all original FFT sprites.
4) 100% Zoom in either BMP or PNG format.
5) Post your submission in this thread and it will be officially entered.
6) Loosely follow the general FFT style such as dimensions and palette choice. However, submissions are NOT limited to 16 colors.
7) Submissions need to follow the general competition topic and as such should be at least theoretically recognizable as Alma.
8) Follow general forum rules, such as no nudity.
9) There is NO limit on the number of entries per member as long as they are significantly distinct.
10) If there are multiple valid versions of the same submission posted in the thread, the latest version will be considered the competition version. Judging Criteria:
1) Creativity: This covers both the job idea and the physical design of the sprite. Find original, intelligent, and witty ways to follow the general theme of the contest.
2) Artistic Ability: The more original elements incorporated into the sprite the better. However, make sure to balance this with the visual quality of the sprite. General pixel art ability, design, and palette choice are important here.
3) Valid Submission: There are clear expectations for submission, please try your best to follow them. Important Dates:
Opening of Competition: 7/4
Submissions Due: Midnight 7/20
Voting Begins: 7/21
Winners Announced: 7/24 Alma's BirthdaySubmission Examples (Ramza as model): Minimal Submission:
Simple Headswap. A submission of this quality will likely not fair well. However, a creative job title or a slick palette change here could help.
Job Title: Evil Squire
Sources: Ramza Ch1 (SQUARE), Delita Ch1 (SQUARE) Average Submission:
Headswap with added elements from other sprites and palette. With this mix of elements the sprite should still be relatively quick and easy to put together, but should also allow for a lot creativity and gives people an opportunity to show off their skills. Note that this rating is based on being all original work, this example sprite is the work of Vanya.
Job Title: Defender
Sources: Ramza CH2&3 (SQUARE), Zalbag (SQUARE) Superior Submission:
Using pieces from lots of different sprites or custom elements and palette. Really show off your mad skills. Note that this rating is based on being all original work, this example sprite is the work of Kagebunji and Cheetah.
Job Title: Hunter
Sources: Ramza Ch1 (SQUARE), Male Archer (SQUARE), Male Knight (SQUARE)