Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

FFVI Hardcube  (Read 9011 times)
Pages: [1]
Odal [Posts: 124]
  • View Profile
  • [June 11, 2011, 08:45:23 PM]
FFVI Hardcube
« on: June 11, 2011, 08:45:23 PM »
Edit - 17 May 2015

So apparently this Romhacking.net site has been around for forever and I never heard of it until last week.  Oh well, got my patch uploaded there rather than random file sharing websites.

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2402/

« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 12:30:26 AM by Odal »
  • View Profile
  • [June 19, 2011, 12:21:39 AM]
Re: Odal's FFVI Hardtype
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 12:21:39 AM »
Still working on the WoR.  Here's a preview for Phunbaba.  Things may still change though.

-Video deleted-
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 12:30:55 AM by Odal »
Likes to move it move it.
philsov [Posts: 4598]
  • View Profile
  • [June 27, 2011, 04:41:10 AM]
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 04:41:10 AM »
Genji Glove Fix - In vanilla Genji glove was supposed to cut the damage of each swing in half.  It only did that when there was one weapon equipped (which didn’t make sense).  This has been fixed to properly do this.

So... the only benefit genji gloves provides regarding attack is stat boost from another weapon instead of a shield?  I think I'll just stick to gauntlets then O.o

Just another rebel plotting rebellion.
  • View Profile
  • [June 27, 2011, 02:14:31 PM]
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 02:14:31 PM »
Ooo, my bad, that's a typo.  It's a 1/4 damage reduction, not 1/2.  That makes quite a difference.

I'm still not sure if which is better though.

From http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps/197336-final-fantasy-anthology/faqs/13573

The final part about Genji Glove is what the calculation is in vanilla.  So with the bug fix it may be more like:

Step 1f. If the attack is a standard fight attack and the character is
    equipped with a Genji Glove, and two weapons:

Damage = (Damage * 3 / 4) + (Damage * 3 / 4) (Not sure what "ceil" means in the original calculation)
  • View Profile
  • [July 04, 2011, 03:19:43 PM]
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 03:19:43 PM »
New version out.  Though the list looks shorter, I assure you this took a while to go through the AI of each monster in the world of ruin and make them more aggressive as well as buffing them up stat-wise.  I am currently in the process of trying to balance it all out, so I would not consider this an official release of the patch.  It is very likely that there are monsters which are obscenely powerful while others are not powerful enough.

Aside from monsters, the biggest things to note are that there are very few items which absorb elements anymore, including the elemental shields.  Encounter rates are much higher in the World of Ruin (with increased experience gained to compensate), and even moreso in Kefka's tower.

Also, endgame spells are limited as follows:
Ultima - Terra
Meteor - Celes
Merton - Relm
X-Zone - Terra, Celes, Relm.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 03:53:25 PM by Odal »
Mediator
Eternal [Posts: 3072]
  • View Profile
  • https://steamcommunity.com/id/eternal248/
  • [July 04, 2011, 03:21:38 PM]
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 03:21:38 PM »
Just to note, upping the encounter rate will only lead to more EXP being gained, which means more levels, which means less challenge in the long-run.

• Modding version: PSX & WotL
    • Discord username: eternal248#1817
  • "You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
    • View Profile
    • [July 04, 2011, 03:31:38 PM]
    « Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 03:31:38 PM »
    Of course.  But I'm trying to make the game a challenge even at 99.  I'm not saying you wont feel the need to grind, but if the player does need to grind, at least it'll be pretty quick.
    « Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 03:33:07 PM by Odal »
    Kaijyuu [Posts: 1336]
    • View Profile
    • [July 04, 2011, 06:59:34 PM]
    « Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 06:59:34 PM »
    Unless the battles are short, you really should significantly *lower* the encounter rate. This is one of those old games where you can get in a tedious battle every 3 steps. It can really get obnoxious.
    • View Profile
    • [July 04, 2011, 09:56:42 PM]
    « Reply #8 on: July 04, 2011, 09:56:42 PM »
    Actually the mechanics are as such that it'd be very unlikely to get a battle in 3 steps ever.  It's possible but the chance is very small.  And then when you consider that you have a relic to cut the encounter rate in half if you hate it that bad, there's really not much reason for me to lower the encounter rate.  Either you get rare encounter rates and retardedly difficult/long battles, or battles which I'm trying to balance out to be a few minutes at the longest but more frequently.

From the gamefaqs link I posted earlier in the thread:
    The game keeps a counter that increases each time you take a step. Walking on
    the overworld map adds 192 to the counter for each step taken; walking in
    caves, towns, etc. where monsters can be encountered adds 112 to the counter
    for each step. Each step, a random number is picked from 0 to 255; if this
    number is less than (counter / 256 ) then a fight occurs. When a random
    encounter occurs, the counter is reset to 0.
    Unfortunately I don't know the numbers for the increased encounter rates, since this guide was about vanilla and pretty much everything in vanilla was normal encounter rate.
    • View Profile
    • [May 21, 2012, 09:40:40 AM]
    « Reply #9 on: May 21, 2012, 09:40:40 AM »
    I haven't given up on this project!  There have been lots of changes since the last update.  Currently looking for people to volunteer to test it out before an official release.  PM me.   You know you wanna :D

<3<3<3
    Let's Player
    Alaris [Posts: 66]
    • View Profile
    • [May 22, 2012, 06:29:16 AM]
    « Reply #10 on: May 22, 2012, 06:29:16 AM »
    Just to note, upping the encounter rate will only lead to more EXP being gained, which means more levels, which means less challenge in the long-run.

AHHHHGGGG... DO NOT UP ENCOUNTER RATE!

STANDARD ENCOUNTER RATE IS ALREADY SO HIGH....

Brrr....

Sorry about that... nightmares of playing in ET's HT patch... *Shudders* Encounter Rate hurts...

• Modding version: PSX

• Episode 42 is out! Click above to watch!
    • View Profile
    • [May 22, 2012, 09:38:01 AM]
    « Reply #11 on: May 22, 2012, 09:38:01 AM »
    In the few play-throughs I've done since then, the increased encounter rate is really only noticable in Kefka's tower.  I dun care what you all say, that place should be tough... it's the final area! :o

Alaris, I was the one who commented on your vid saying you should grind up exp more since you ran from battles so much.  I don't know how you can like FF games when random encounters seem to bother you so much :(

Guess I could double the exp gain from random battles, change the encounter rate to the lowest (just above none), and then people can breeze through the game like nuhbuddy beness.  Seems kind of bland when there's already so many ways to avoid battles if you absolutely have to... chocobos, smoke bombs, warp stones.  Also the charm bangle to cut encounter rate in half, if you do the emperor's banquet right.
    Let's Player
    Alaris [Posts: 66]
    • View Profile
    • [May 22, 2012, 07:11:39 PM]
    « Reply #12 on: May 22, 2012, 07:11:39 PM »
    Well, I do run from random battles a lot in FF6 HT (ET Version), but that's HONESTLY because I don't like to show all those random battles onscreen.  I don't honestly think the viewers would enjoy it. 

Put simply, however.. FF6 has a very high encounter rate to start with.  I generally can't go more than 3-6 steps without a fight.  And it drives me insane.  In most other FF games I've played, the encounter rate is lower, and I'm not getting into a fight so often.

But, if you say it will be better off, then by all means, do it.  I haven't seen the current Encounter Rate of your version of Hardtype.

• Episode 42 is out! Click above to watch!
    • View Profile
    • [May 27, 2012, 01:42:02 PM]
    « Reply #13 on: May 27, 2012, 01:42:02 PM »
    Well, in my hardtype, I'm trying to balance it so grinding is not needed until maybe late game where it's almost impossible to avoid at least SOME grinding due levels being a bit staggered when you get your characters.  And even with that, I'm trying to make it as painless as possible with a way to get exp. eggs.

I guess you could do a lot of running and avoiding battles and then do grinding in small doses along the way to keep your levels up if you wanted.  That's more frustrating imo though.

As for showing random battles on-screen, well people can fastforward, or you could edit them out, or you can pause recording (depending on your software) while battles are going on, but that's a bit more clunky. 
    • View Profile
    • [August 10, 2012, 01:33:03 AM]
    « Reply #14 on: August 10, 2012, 01:33:03 AM »
    Yay for updates!  See updates in original post.
    • View Profile
    • [November 16, 2013, 03:51:34 AM]
    Re: FFVI Hardcube V0.3
    « Reply #15 on: November 16, 2013, 03:51:34 AM »
    New update.  Probably easiest to keep up with it here:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/554041-final-fantasy-iii/67832528
    • View Profile
    • [May 18, 2015, 12:28:54 AM]
    Re: FFVI Hardcube
    « Reply #16 on: May 18, 2015, 12:28:54 AM »
    So apparently this Romhacking.net site has been around since forever and I never heard of it until last week.  Oh well, got my patch uploaded there rather than random file sharing websites.

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2402/
    Frostbitten
    theultrawolf [Posts: 193]
    • View Profile
    • [November 13, 2015, 08:22:30 AM]
    « Reply #17 on: November 13, 2015, 08:22:30 AM »
    Have you ever thought about editing FFVI Advance? There hasn't been to my knowledge any good ROM hacks of that game and I know tools exist for it that are similar to the tools used for FF3 editing. I made a FF3 patch myself a while back and someone asked me the same question.

• Toshiko
    Angel (Empress) [Posts: 1245]
    • View Profile
    • にゃにゃめにゃにゃじゅうにゃにゃどのにゃらびでにゃくにゃくいにゃにゃくにゃにゃはんにゃにゃだいにゃんにゃくにゃらべてにゃがにゃがめ
    • [November 13, 2015, 03:38:34 PM]
    « Reply #18 on: November 13, 2015, 03:38:34 PM »
    The problem with VI Advance is that even if you fix the audio (restore to SNES quality), there's still a ton of other things Square broke in porting it to GBA - VI is the most broken SNES Final Fantasy, and they broke it even more. For this and other reasons, I don't really think it's a better base than the SNES game, to be honest.

Now, if you really do want to work on Advance anyway, I suggest using every bugfix patch for it on RHDN and working from there.

• * Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
    <@Elric> I agree to that as well
    At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?
    Frostbitten
    theultrawolf [Posts: 193]
    • View Profile
    • [November 14, 2015, 07:13:02 AM]
    « Reply #19 on: November 14, 2015, 07:13:02 AM »
    Yeah, I figured that might be the case. Square seems to enjoy releasing sub-par ports, with the exception of Tactics Ogre from what I've seen. And I did notice while playing FFVI-A that the music was off a bit, but you would think with more room for editing names/descriptions that it would have a lot more going for it in the modding department.
    And eh, I'm not TOO interested in making a patch for Advance myself, mainly because as I said, I couldn't find a lot of tools for it, but it would be awesome to get some good patches rolling out for it.

• Pages: [1]