Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
We need MOAR Monsters  (Read 46895 times)
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]
ALL THE THINGS Official Caretaker.
RavenOfRazgriz [Posts: 3022]
  • View Profile
  • [April 30, 2017, 09:19:19 PM]
Re: We need MOAR Monsters
« Reply #240 on: April 30, 2017, 09:19:19 PM »
On the one hand, that Cthulhu Sprite looks pretty cool and not too far off from being finished.

On the other hand, actually using that sprite means giving Cthulhu an HP bar.  And everyone knows, you never give Cthulhu an HP bar.
Physics student
Rfh [Posts: 277]
  • View Profile
  • [May 01, 2017, 01:43:25 AM]
« Reply #241 on: May 01, 2017, 01:43:25 AM »
I've seen many Altima based attemps of spriting, but they didn't go further than their concept. Now you can be in the history. Keep working on it, Conman  ;)
Victor FrankeinSprite
CONMAN [Posts: 280]
  • View Profile
  • [May 01, 2017, 02:29:08 AM]
« Reply #242 on: May 01, 2017, 02:29:08 AM »
I've seen many Altima based attemps of spriting, but they didn't go further than their concept. Now you can be in the history. Keep working on it, Conman

Thanks Rfh!  I'm still working on it!

On the other hand, actually using that sprite means giving Cthulhu an HP bar.  And everyone knows, you never give Cthulhu an HP bar.

I've considered this dilemma Raven.  While I have never played it, I believe there is a lovecraft table top game which gives the player "Sanity" Hit points.  This sort of made me consider the idea of having like a handful of rounds before the party goes mad and a game over, or warp back to world map occurs.  Something like having an incremental variable go up on Cthulhu's turns as a count down.  If I recall correctly, Cthulhu probably exists outside of this dimension to some degree (maybe I'm mixed up, I've been on a lovefcraft audio book tear while spriting) and can't really be killed.  If damaged enough Cthulhu would return home for slumber.

On a side note, I recall a sahagin sprite floating around forever ago that would be great to pair with cthulhu.  I don't think it was finished, but fish people are the appropriate henchmen (or to be used as Dagon).
ALL THE THINGS Official Caretaker.
RavenOfRazgriz [Posts: 3022]
  • View Profile
  • [May 01, 2017, 02:35:59 AM]
« Reply #243 on: May 01, 2017, 02:35:59 AM »
I've considered this dilemma Raven.  While I have never played it, I believe there is a lovecraft table top game which gives the player "Sanity" Hit points.  This sort of made me consider the idea of having like a handful of rounds before the party goes mad and a game over, or warp back to world map occurs.  Something like having an incremental variable go up on Cthulhu's turns as a count down.  If I recall correctly, Cthulhu probably exists outside of this dimension to some degree (maybe I'm mixed up, I've been on a lovefcraft audio book tear while spriting) and can't really be killed.  If damaged enough Cthulhu would return home for slumber.

This is all very easily doable, yes.  You can easily have an event that increments, say, every one of Cthulhu's turns that points out how many turns are left before the player characters simply go insane, then Game Over them if they take too long.

On a side note, I recall a sahagin sprite floating around forever ago that would be great to pair with cthulhu.  I don't think it was finished, but fish people are the appropriate henchmen (or to be used as Dagon).
I'll try to acquire this for you, hold.
The Kindly Shopkeeper
Lijj [Posts: 2039]
  • View Profile
  • [May 01, 2017, 02:49:21 AM]
« Reply #244 on: May 01, 2017, 02:49:21 AM »
I'll try to acquire this for you, hold.

Good job on Cthulu!

Here's the fish henchman:

Victor FrankeinSprite
  • View Profile
  • [May 04, 2017, 05:06:17 PM]
« Reply #245 on: May 04, 2017, 05:06:17 PM »
Thanks for the Sahagin!  I was hoping it had come along further than I had last seen it, but I think I may try to use it (at least piece-meal) in the future.

I've made a little more progress on the sheet. The arms/hands need some refining, but I'm happy to have hit them all.  Started to mess with the back legs.  I keep looking at the back of the head and then get distracted with something else.  I keep messing with one of the wings and then completely undoing my tinkering- I may simply fix up the one terrible back wing. 

I started to mess with a port. Right now it's just really a squid and ghost head fusion with a couple tweaks.  Honestly, after that, I just kind of stared at it...like uhhh.. where am I going with this?
May I kill him?
Pride [Posts: 817]
  • View Profile
  • [May 05, 2017, 01:00:12 AM]
« Reply #246 on: May 05, 2017, 01:00:12 AM »
The community also needs a bear sprite because bears are cool enemies :3

• Modding version: PSX
  • Check out my ASM thread. Who doesn't like hax?
    Victor FrankeinSprite
    • View Profile
    • [May 13, 2017, 04:31:28 PM]
    « Reply #247 on: May 13, 2017, 04:31:28 PM »
    The community also needs a bear sprite because bears are cool enemies :3

Bears are cool but werewolves>bears  :lol:

Still plugging away at this bastard!  Honestly, I know if I divert my attention away very long, this sprite won't be finished.  There is always so much excitement when starting a sprite... and the grudging tedium... so too with cthulhu.

Getting pretty close.  Major focus now is back legs and probably another look at the back of the head.  Gave up on making new wings.  I did enlarge the awkward back left wing that always looked too small.  Some parts still look funky, but are covered by back wings, so that's cool.  The port is kind of meh, but I'm not sure what else to do with it.  Perhaps the port needs to be a little darker.

edit: Totally forgot to mention this.  The "Kanzen" sprite type seems to have some hardcoding limiting it's use to the Altima 2 sprite slot.  Therefore, short of some asm, this sprite has to replace the final boss! Which is fine for me but.... 

I sort of assume the same applies to the "arute" sprite type as well.  This is a little unfortunate as I had hoped to at some point replace this altima with "God of Magic" Kefka at some point.
    « Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 05:10:40 PM by CONMAN »
    • Modding version: PSX
  • Vanya [Posts: 3956]
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
    • [May 16, 2017, 03:10:14 PM]
    « Reply #248 on: May 16, 2017, 03:10:14 PM »
    There is nothing less than absolutely awesome about this sprite. Fantastic work so far, keep it up!
    I'm contemplating making a mini hack for my girlfriend just so she can fight this glorious sexy beast.
    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!!

• Modding version: Other/Unknown
  • ¯\(°_0)/¯
    Victor FrankeinSprite
    • View Profile
    • [May 16, 2017, 05:08:59 PM]
    « Reply #249 on: May 16, 2017, 05:08:59 PM »
    Thanks for the compliments Vanya!  I've taken this pretty close to the end.  I don't think I can put too much more into this.  Here is an update
    Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]