• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 10:12:18 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

FFT's on iOS

Started by Dominic NY18, May 18, 2011, 08:53:42 pm

Dominic NY18

May 18, 2011, 08:53:42 pm Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 01:31:21 am by Dominic NY18
So I'm sure some of us know about the upcoming iOS version of War of the Lions, but there hasn't been much info revealed since the game was announced almost a year ago at E3 (nothing besides announcements of delays anyway). All we've known is that it was slated for release "this spring." Now we've finally gotten an update:

FFT: WOTL iPhone Release Date

The big takeaways:
- The game is now slated for a late June to mid July release (they're aiming for June).
- The iPad version might be a little delayed though because they are making a high-res version for it. Here's an example of two touched up portraits:

Frankly, I don't see the iPhone/iPod Touch version can't also have higher res visuals that would take advantage of the Retina Display. They did it for both versions of the FFIII port.

dinosaur

omggg the portraits looks amazing.

Now we have to learn how we can import our hacks to the iphone :3

LastingDawn

I recall hearing this. Did that FFIII port ever get released? And if so, will we see an FFIII Port to the PSP as well?

The menus and everything from what I saw looked to be pretty cleverly designed, this may yet be a success especially if it doesn't have the slow down of the PSP version. Also it's good that they're so quickly remaking an Ivalice Alliance game, it hints that will be one of the ten IP's that SquareEnix will focus upon.

"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

Cheetah

May 19, 2011, 01:37:33 am #3 Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 01:55:18 am by Cheetah
OH NO, Square-Enix is clearly spying on us as they have stolen our brilliant idea of making our portraits/avatars high-res. Next they will make the portraits start blinking and then we will be in real trouble.

FFIII for iPhone is definitely out.

I am excited that they are continuing with this port. I just wish they would include the sound novels like we are attempting to do in Complete.

No but seriously those portraits are gorgeous.

PS: Frankly I think we should start comment profusely asking for the Sound Novels to be included, I know I'm obsessed. However I can't figure out how to comment on the thread. I want to write this:

"Long time fan of the game.

I was really disappointed that the Sound Novels were cut from the WotL rerelease in the US once again.  It is one of the only pieces of FFT content not to be included in the US version of the game and it has been my dream to see these included in an official release. So I'm hoping they make it in this time, it would be a very unique addition to the game."
Current Projects:

RedWorld

June!? But I want it NOW!!! ;A; (Though I don't have an iPhone OR an iPad. OTL)

I was reading some stuff I found on my blog and there was a news report in German. I translated it via Google and it said that it wasn't coming out. I fumed. *sobbu* But this just proves that it's coming out. c:

But anyway, I would love to see the rest of the hi-res portraits! They look so awesome! ;A; Upload more when you get 'em!

In the meantime, I will sulk in the corner, crying about how I don't have the necessary products to play it with. T_T

"Dear God, what's it like in your funny little brains? It must be boring." - Sherlock Holmes

LastingDawn

I agree Cheetah, the Sound Novels contain some pretty interesting parts of Ivalician History, especially Wyuvle (Oielvert), M-Fiction is also an interesting one because it is the game's only other real mention of Hero King Mesa who led Humes out of the Cataclysm, even if it is supposedly false, it also contains mention of the Palamecian Empire.

Art of War

Dominic NY18

I can't figure out how to comment on the page either. It'd be nice if the sound novels were included, but I doubt it. I'd like to see high-res artwork for all versions of the game, but that's probably because I don't have an iPad (and don't plan to buy one any time soon either).

FFIII came out for iOS in March. It's pretty much the only game I've been playing on my iPhone for the past few weeks. It looks great on the iPhone 4's Retina Display.

MagiusRerecros

Part of the problem with making the iPhone version hi-res though, is that only the iPhone 4 has the Retina Display; anything older probably wouldn't be able to handle the hi-res version of the game. What I think they should do is release two versions for the iPhone, a hi-res version for the devices that can handle it, and a standard-res for everything else.
Move Zig. For great Justice.

Also, Algus sucks up to level 5 donkey balls.

Dominic NY18

True, but using FFIII as an example, it can be played on older iOS devices since the minimum for it is iOS 3.0, but it takes advantage of the Retina Display. Going by that, I don't think there needs to be two separate iPhone versions to allow the game to be high-res. It should be able to detect which device you have and if it's an iPhone 4/4th Gen iPod Touch, it'll run at a higher resolution.

Dominic NY18

July 04, 2011, 02:12:53 pm #9 Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 02:13:20 pm by Dominic NY18
FFT WotL Update

Well, it's been slightly delayed again. It's slated for release later this month. It will be supported on the 3GS and newer devices.

The bad news is the multiplayer's been stripped out of the game. The game being on iOS devices would have made it more accessible. And I was looking forward to being able to fight against other people. Hopefully the co-op missions will be made accessible in the single player mode. And the new equipment was only available through multiplayer, so I'm wondering what they'll do about that.

On the other hand, the game will have retina display support, so at least one of my hopes were fulfilled. And best of all, the slowdown problem has been solved :D

LastingDawn

Indeed, it sounds as if this will be the definitive version of WotL, a shame they had to cut the multiplayer (which may be, as we guessed long ago have been the actual reason for the slowdown), but its a small loss, I am wondering how they will do the Rendevous then.

Art of War

Dominic NY18

I doubt they actually do it, but since it'll be on the App Store, there's a chance they can add in the multiplayer in the future. Even better if it could connect via Game Center, since it'd make it easier to arrange a game with a friend.

Dominic NY18

August 01, 2011, 10:02:51 am #12 Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 10:50:03 am by Dominic NY18
It'll be available on the App Store this Thursday (1800JPY/ 15.99USD/ 12.99EURO)

Release Info

Also, there's a gameplay video. The one thing that stands out is the camera is now completely dynamic. Fair warning though, it's an early build of the game so there's no sound on the spell effects.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVWlGsh9rCY

Eternal

Whoa, very nice. Everyone here who can should totally get this.
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

RedWorld

The gameplay is simply amazing! <3 If I ever get an iPod Touch or an iPad, this will totally be on it! ^w^ But until then, I still cry in my corner. ;w;

"Dear God, what's it like in your funny little brains? It must be boring." - Sherlock Holmes

Joseph Strife

Quote from: RedWorld on August 01, 2011, 01:01:57 pm
The gameplay is simply amazing! <3 If I ever get an iPod Touch or an iPad, this will totally be on it! ^w^ But until then, I still cry in my corner. ;w;

I couldn't express my feelings better
Gaffgarion: It's in the contract!
Ramza: Does your contract says: "When you find a former squire, that now is a Holy knight that has kidnapped a princess, in a bridge by a waterfall fighting a brigade you are supposed to kill everybody that helps him!"
Gaffgarion: ... Sure!
Ramza: ... Let me see your contract...
Gaffgarion: ... No...

Cheetah

That is alot of money to plop down for this game again. I'm totally stoked that they brought it over and I should support it. I'm not sure about the slow down either, it is still looking like an issue.
Current Projects:

st4rw4k3r

screw the slow down, this game looks great. The graphics look prettier :O
Love the Graphics
Ignore this, "slow down"

Dominic NY18

Yeah, I just watched it again and there was some slowdown, though it wasn't nearly as bad as the PSP version. Keep in mind though that the video was from a pre-release build of the game, so here's hoping the final release runs perfectly.

Cheetah

Well I have played through the first few battles now.

Good News:
1) No skills slowdown!
2) It's FFT

Bad News:
1) The interface is clunky beyond all get out. There is a little "Okay" button in the lower right that is used for everything. It beeps every time you click it, even when just stepping through dialog. Would have been much nicer to just click on screen for more things. Maybe there are some options in there for that but I haven't gotten it working smoothly yet.
2) The interface layout is pretty atrocious as well. It is rather difficult to play. It might get better with time though and I think the team is pretty devoted to improvements.
3) I have it on my iPhone 4 and I'm not seeing the sexy new improved portraits.
4) So skills aren't slowed, but game play is far from smooth. Running in events look particularly clunky, and the game stutters slightly at times. This is all through the eyes of a long time FFT player though so I'm apt to notice all these small things.
Current Projects: