With the advent of Season 5, there will be a shift in the ruleset to introduce new concepts while making sure some previous team combinations are no longer possible.
1) A team will consist of 4 units, leveled in their own class at level 35. These can be any male/female generic or any monster -- yes, all families are available, but one specie is tentatively banned, see below.
2) The Br and Fa of all units must be between 40 and 70. The maximum brave for the entire team is 240, and the minimum faith for the entire team is 220.
3) Zodiac selection will be any of the standard 12.
4) There is no JP cap whatsoever. Generics have free reign over everything that is normally available (ie, there is no teleport2). Mages are free to have full spellbooks, fighters can have damage split, and everything inbetween. However, there are banned abilities, to be discussed below.
5) Limit one of anything and everything. Every action ability, reaction, support, movement, and piece of equipment can only be found once per team.
5a) Innates count. Ninja means no one else can have two swords. Mime means you cannot have a monk/martial arts, mediator/monster talk, or thief/concentrate.
5b) Throw and Draw Out skillsets can only appear once per team.
5c) This item quantity limit does not apply to Item, Throw, and Draw Out quantity/ability use.
5d) Regarding monsters, there is a limit of one monster per family.
5d1) Monster action/RSM selection does not interfere with human selection. You are free to have a human with critical quick and a bomb on the same team.
6) Equipment is limited to everything that is buyable from normal shops, minus thief hat and bracer, plus defender, holy lance, and ultimus bow. No poaching trophies, no DD move finds, or other stealable rares.
7) Fights are best two out of three, on randomized maps, with an even spread of medium, large, and small sized categories. Maps with an overabundance of depth 2+ water (Gate of Limberry II) and overall poor positioning (END) will be removed from the pool.
Cure 4 - 2 AoE full party heal
Meteor - AoE is too large
Bahamut - AoE too large
Leviathan - AoE too large
Zodiac - AoE too large
Chirijiraden - Banned via equipment selection
Masamume - Banned via equipment selection
Elixir - Banned via equipment selection
Flare 2 - Obliviates too much other magic
Nameless Dance - Map wide unevadeable but random status effects
Monster Skill - Enables too many too powerful abilities
Magic Attack Up combined with Draw Out
Vampire - Blood Suck is broken in this context due to loss of control and its plague-like spreading (this was a potential problem last season, but with the removal of elemental weaknesses the threat is more real)
There will be no modification of abilities or items for fine-tuned tweaking. It is a very slippery slope and would take months to complete. The stuff that's too strong gets removed, and the stuff that's too weak will stay thusly.