• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:01:02 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

RP Section

Started by formerdeathcorps, January 04, 2011, 05:04:45 am

formerdeathcorps

January 04, 2011, 05:04:45 am Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 05:06:05 am by formerdeathcorps
How many of you would be interested in a roleplay/writing section for this forum?  This could mean anything from (collaborative) fan-fiction to a structured game (D&D, FFT board game) to a nations campaign (you command countries rather than people) to anything in-between or even outside (like original or non-FF derivative works) the above bounds.

If interested, please post what your RP experience is, as well as your preferences, if any.
The destruction of the will is the rape of the mind.
The dogmas of every era are nothing but the fantasies of those in power; their dreams are our waking nightmares.

Celdia

While I'm not personally interested in running a game, I do have extensive tabletop RP experience and if this is a place to just list interest and background then here goes.

I've been running various versions of D&D for over ten years across countless one-shot games and full campaigns with more people than I care to remember. I've run White Wolf games (Vampire, Mage and Werewolf and cross-setting games) not to mention playing in several others (Changling, Mummy, Wraith, Hunter and I think I'm forgetting a few). I've got a little background in Ars Magica, older versions of D&D and AD&D, Palladium, Paranoia, Twilight 2000 (which is an odd inverted d20 kind of system where 1 is good and 20 is bad. That one fucked with me something awful.) I know I've played a little bit of the Star Wars d6 system and while I own the books for both Tri-stat and d20 BESM (Big Eyes, Small Mouth anime-style RPG) I've never gotten enough people together interested in running a game of that. This of course doesn't count the various miniatures combat games of homebrew tabletop games I've tried making as well. These have been done both in person and in various online formats (the slowest but easily most descriptive of which was Play By Email. I do not recommend that style of game.)
I've run medieval, high fantasy, modern, and future settings games - most as vanilla RP games and some extending as far as erotic roleplay with some dice tossed in for good measure. I like to think that if it can be done with pen, paper and dice, I've done it but I know that's still far from true.

Aside from that I spent several years in online chat room freeform RPs before ever successfully running a tabletop game, but as that was in my formative years, the experiences there are welcome to stay in the past. Preferably forgotten.

If you're interested in something gaming related here's a link to a game history blog I was writing for the most recent D&D game I ran: http://dmpain.blogspot.com/ For chronological cohesion, start from the bottom and read up. I hate that I can't change that format. Like I said, while I'm not looking to start a new game right now, if you have any questions about gaming or more specifically D&D 3rd/3.5 Edition, feel free to ask me. I love to talk shop. ^_^
  • Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: Celdia#0

Lijj

I lack any exp on how to start anything like this but have, long ago, drawn characters and a roster of monsters for a table top.
I like the idea of going geopolitical in the land of Ivalice.

Pride

While I'm not an avid player in any sort of RPs, I do think this is a great idea and gives people a chance to play these types of games over the forum. It would give me a chance to participate in one (I don't like things done over irc) ^_^
Check out my ASM thread. Who doesn't like hax?

Tigerspike

I'd be interested in something like that.  I've played some D&D in the past and enjoy role-playing, I think that it would be fun.
Oh come now. That doesn't even make sense. How can flimsy paper possibly beat the raw density of stone?

MysticKnightFF5

I'm used to hosting RPs, so I can help, and I love playing other's :D

philsov

what's the minimum number of RPers required in order to get a sustainable RP possible?

If we get that amount from regulars, I'll endorse it. 

It'd fall into the same category as General or Spam, though -- we are still a hacking site, not a social site.  If someone spends all their time there they'll be shown the door.  I'm sure everyone who's posted thus far is well aware of this, but it's something that needs to be mentioned.
Just another rebel plotting rebellion.

MysticKnightFF5

An RP min is 2-3 people and a GM, so 4.

PX_Timefordeath

Meh, we can always open a Forum Game board. But forum games haven't really been successful, and most of them are in spam.

formerdeathcorps

Quote from: philsov on January 04, 2011, 06:20:34 pm
It'd fall into the same category as General or Spam, though -- we are still a hacking site, not a social site.  If someone spends all their time there they'll be shown the door.  I'm sure everyone who's posted thus far is well aware of this, but it's something that needs to be mentioned.

I'm fully aware of that, but considering how much stuff we have in Spam and how much time is wasted on iRC, I highly doubt RPing is/will become the major competitor to hacking in terms of time consumption, especially since it's much more of an acquired taste than either of the above.
Nor would I argue that RPs are entirely irrelevant to hacking, you can convert a RP to a story in a hack you want to make.  (Plus, you're more likely to have a team for hacking that story.)

On average, you just need at least 3 people to start, but it's not fun without at least double that number.  I'm well aware that interest tends to sap long before a RP is finished, but that's not an excuse not to try.
As for spam RPs, that's not what I'm referring to here, though obviously some ideas (like the Unending BS Combat seen in iRC) do belong in Spam.

AS for me, my experience is mostly with writing, so my RP style tilts more towards collaborative fan-fiction, but I've played D&D before.
The dogmas of every era are nothing but the fantasies of those in power; their dreams are our waking nightmares.

philsov

QuoteI'm fully aware of that

Yes, but if people have non-hacking friends who want to RP with them, they're boned.  Just a heads up :)
Just another rebel plotting rebellion.

formerdeathcorps

Kill_Bones

I've been in a LOT of RP's, though only textbased ones, not anything like DnD. I'm definately interested in this idea.

Full credit to Mayhem over at RPGuild for my sig

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."  

-Abraham Lincoln

Quote from: Dome on February 19, 2011, 04:36:46 am
Sorry Eternal, I don't have balls....