Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

[2014/08/29] New steam profile field added. Add your steam ID now. Join the FFHacktics steam group.

Arena battle videos and discussion  (Read 121674 times)
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 174
doriantoki [Posts: 82] Logged
  • View Profile
  • [November 22, 2011, 05:03:34 PM]
Re: Arena battle videos and discussion
« Reply #1080 on: November 22, 2011, 05:03:34 PM »

FFM Edit: I suggest not to put apostrophes into spoilers since it bugs them up for some reason. Fixed it for you =p

I'm not sure what's going on with the spreadsheet.  Am I seriously the only one who's having issues with the Oracle spells?  I can't figure it out.
  • View Profile
  • [November 22, 2011, 07:33:36 PM]
« Reply #1081 on: November 22, 2011, 07:33:36 PM »

Well, welcome to the worst matchup possible?

Oh, I just wanted to address this.  I disagree.  You took round two.  And for the others matches, there was a lot of back and forth.  So even with all the magical defense, your team still did very well.  The only thing that turned the match was Charm.  But that can apply to ANY team.  So I don't think it was a bad matchup, at least, as bad as you would think.
☯☯☯☯
FFMaster [Posts: 2459] Logged
  • View Profile
  • [November 22, 2011, 09:31:28 PM]
« Reply #1082 on: November 22, 2011, 09:31:28 PM »
Does your spreadsheet still have Pray Faith/Doubt Faith? You are patching on a clean ISO every time right?

☢ CAUTION CAUTION ☢ CAUTION CAUTION ☢
ALL THE THINGS Official Caretaker.
RavenOfRazgriz (Global Moderator) [Posts: 2958] Logged
  • View Profile
  • Universal Century Gundam Online "Project Icarus" Private Server
  • [November 22, 2011, 10:40:27 PM]
« Reply #1083 on: November 22, 2011, 10:40:27 PM »
Short on time, will try to watch the non-my matches later:

Oh, I just wanted to address this.  I disagree.  You took round two.  And for the others matches, there was a lot of back and forth.  So even with all the magical defense, your team still did very well.  The only thing that turned the match was Charm.  But that can apply to ANY team.  So I don't think it was a bad matchup, at least, as bad as you would think.

Um.

2x High-HP Units that double-turn Flare, have Always: Shell, use Charm to both Cancel Charging and turn mages against each other.
1x Moderate-HP Priest with Initial: Reflect to make her invulnerable to most low-CT Spells and Sinkhole to stop the few that get through Reflect, as well as herself being a lightning rod for getting all aggro magic targeted on herself.

Sure, the Archer really didn't do jack shit, but to say this isn't "as bad as I would think" is pretty... false.  This is close to as Hard-Anti-Cannons as it gets, to the point where something trying that hard to beat Cannons should be winning with a fairly solid 2-0 and is likely at a very huge detriment if they fight anything not focused on magic, even if it's still all-Female.  It's similar to Thank You for the New Shoes in that way - that team has huge Axe with high Move that make its other matchups much better, but they should always 2-0 a team like Bombardment Cannons.  The fact the games had a back and forth and the match went to a third game only really states how fucktarded my DPS is, since you're running an almost completely hard-counter and were still at a very realistic risk of losing.  I was fully expecting to win that third game despite it being a smaller-end map with chokepoints my casters hate after that first round, said risk is so realistic.

I'm not calling shenanigans, people make these kinds of teams and verifying they can actually beat what they're hard-countering is important.  It's more of the "Why in the fuck did this go into 3 games?" kind of statement, where I feel going 2-1 is a compliment to my team's raw power more than showing a particular flaw beyond "It's four magic users with long CT Spells."  Though, I think those Oracles might need to lose Beguile, I dunno, so that might be showing a particular flaw.  It's hard to say exactly what's flawed on those Oracles though since they still had the wrong Spellbook, so I don't know exactly what set of Statuses they had available in those matches.  You can just learn a unit's skills in-game you know, so if the Spreadsheet is giving you trouble on learning Primary/Secondary skills, just don't teach them through the Spreadsheet and grab them in-game instead, for future reference for when you do matches involving Oracles or if you just want to stick to doing that to prevent errors.  Also, never use Palette 5 (Purple), shit bugs the game, and I don't know why everyone (including FFMaster >_>) still uses it.

Psst! You mixed up quote and spoiler tags. >_> Don't worry. I got your back. -Celdia
T.L
TrueLight [Posts: 260] Logged
  • View Profile
  • [November 22, 2011, 11:27:58 PM]
« Reply #1084 on: November 22, 2011, 11:27:58 PM »

• View Profile
  • [November 23, 2011, 02:31:23 AM]
« Reply #1085 on: November 23, 2011, 02:31:23 AM »
Um.

You haven't made any statements that has changed my mind.  Not saying it's impossible, but I still stand by what I said.

2x High-HP Units that double-turn Flare, have Always: Shell

Innocent is a better defensive strategy (that is, initial Innocent).  The Thieves have Heretic, yes, but a low faith unit with initial Innocent is a better strategy right off the bat.

Use Charm to both Cancel Charging and turn mages against each other.

This is a crapshoot strategy and I know it.  There are better strategies against this, such as Reflect, Sinkhole, or even Silence.  To be fair, the Priest uses two of the above, but can only effectively keep down one Wizard.  And I said, Charm is hardly an anti anything, since the percentages are so low.  I would argue more versus the fact that your team is all female, not that it's a particularly powerful strategy versus mages.

1x Moderate-HP Priest with Initial: Reflect to make her invulnerable to most low-CT Spells and Sinkhole to stop the few that get through Reflect, as well as herself being a lightning rod for getting all aggro magic targeted on herself.

She ate Bahamut pretty good on multiple occasions.  Which still does a shit ton of damage, so she's not protected.

Sure, the Archer really didn't do jack shit, but to say this isn't "as bad as would think" is pretty... false.

I still stand by this.  This isn't an anti-Santa team, nor was it meant to be.  Remember that Blade Runners came before Santa did, and in a similar twist, they murdered another team that had female units.  My initial intent with Blade Runners were very high evasion thieves that pestered the opponent to death.  It's just that when there's a female in the enemy team, it becomes the most obvious advantage.

This is close to as Hard-Anti-Cannons as it gets

No, for the reasons mentioned above.

to the point where something trying that hard to beat Cannons should be winning with a fairly solid 2-0 and is likely at a very huge detriment if they fight anything not focused on magic, even if it's still all-Female.

Uh ... I've tested this team against my own teams, and Blade Runners basically wins whenever there's a female involved in the opponent team, and she happens to get charmed.  Going back to what I initially said, however, if the charm misses, they're dead.  The Thieves are built for survivability, both magical and physical.

It's similar to Thank You for the New Shoes in that way - that team has huge Axe with high Move that make its other matchups much better, but they should always 2-0 a team like Bombardment Cannons.  The fact the games had a back and forth and the match went to a third game only really states how fucktarded my DPS is, since you're running an almost completely hard-counter and were still at a very realistic risk of losing.

You're contradicting yourself here, as this argument actually works in my favor.

I was fully expecting to win that third game despite it being a smaller-end map with chokepoints my casters hate after that first round, said risk is so realistic.

Right.  Just listen to my commentary, all it takes is one charm to completely reverse the match.  To be honest, if Blade Runners perform that well consistently, I will be surprised, to the point where I would consider lowering the charm hit rate, since it's such a ridiculously debilitating status.  If you think about it, most teams are built to work well with each other, when you charm the competition, the said is true in reverse, in that the ally is suited to dealing just as much damage to his or her team mates.

I'm not calling shenanigans, people make these kinds of teams and verifying they can actually beat what they're hard-countering is important.  It's more of the "Why in the fuck did this go into 3 games?" kind of statement, where I feel going 2-1 is a compliment to my team's raw power more than showing a particular flaw beyond "It's four magic users with long CT Spells."

I'm confused now.  I agree with this statement, but it doesn't even seem like you're disagreeing with me anymore???  Or are you just writing down a string of thoughts as they come to you?  Sometimes I do that as well, and come to a different conclusion, than my initial thought.

Though, I think those Oracles might need to lose Beguile, I dunno, so that might be showing a particular flaw.  It's hard to say exactly what's flawed on those Oracles though since they still had the wrong Spellbook, so I don't know exactly what set of Statuses they had available in those matches.  You can just learn a unit's skills in-game you know, so if the Spreadsheet is giving you trouble on learning Primary/Secondary skills, just don't teach them through the Spreadsheet and grab them in-game instead, for future reference for when you do matches involving Oracles or if you just want to stick to doing that to prevent errors.  Also, never use Palette 5 (Purple), shit bugs the game, and I don't know why everyone (including FFMaster >_>) still uses it.

Just to address the last point, yes palette 5 needs to go.  I usually just copy a team into the spreadsheet without giving it much thought, so sometimes it creeps by.  If you want my opinion on the oracles, even though the spreadsheet was whack, they actually got some solid use out of Life Drain.  Petrify definitely needs to stay, and I like your other choices (Silence Song, Sleep and Don't Act).  I agree that Beguile, just in general, is not preferable to Petrify, or even Sleep.  Zombie I could see getting some use.  I don't know if they'd ever forgoe an attack spell for Blind, however.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 02:32:24 AM by doriantoki »
  • View Profile
  • [November 23, 2011, 05:02:06 PM]
Point, Shoot, Reload, Repeat
Barren [Posts: 1708] Logged
  • View Profile
  • [November 23, 2011, 05:49:23 PM]
« Reply #1087 on: November 23, 2011, 05:49:23 PM »

He who fears being conquered is sure of defeat
Queen of Palemoon
Celdia [Posts: 1561] Logged
  • View Profile
  • http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198029710324/
  • [November 23, 2011, 07:36:00 PM]
« Reply #1088 on: November 23, 2011, 07:36:00 PM »
Queen of Palemoon
  • View Profile
  • http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198029710324/
  • [November 23, 2011, 08:22:08 PM]
« Reply #1090 on: November 23, 2011, 08:22:08 PM »
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 08:33:28 PM by Celdia »
:D
CT5Holy [Posts: 908] Logged
  • View Profile
  • [November 23, 2011, 08:34:24 PM]
« Reply #1091 on: November 23, 2011, 08:34:24 PM »

Blanket has been updated in team submissions thread.

Winner of the 1st FFT 1.3 AI Tourney
T.L
TrueLight [Posts: 260] Logged
  • View Profile
  • [November 23, 2011, 09:06:55 PM]
« Reply #1092 on: November 23, 2011, 09:06:55 PM »
  • View Profile
  • [November 23, 2011, 10:58:27 PM]
« Reply #1093 on: November 23, 2011, 10:58:27 PM »

« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 11:01:10 PM by doriantoki »
Blue Mage
AeroGP [Posts: 196] Logged
  • View Profile
  • [November 24, 2011, 01:25:26 AM]
« Reply #1094 on: November 24, 2011, 01:25:26 AM »

« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 01:25:53 AM by AeroGP »
Quote from: Tycho
“There are a number of different factors impacting server connectivity on Xbox 360,” the spokesperson said. “It is a particularly complex server architecture and we continue to work with Microsoft to improve connectivity.”

I don’t want to bolster any “violent gamer” tropes, but that statement makes me want to improve the connectivity of my front two knuckles with their esophagus.  I wonder how Brenna would respond if I told her that “fidelity” was complicated.
  • View Profile
  • [November 25, 2011, 01:26:15 AM]
« Reply #1096 on: November 25, 2011, 01:26:15 AM »

« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 01:26:54 AM by doriantoki »
Point, Shoot, Reload, Repeat
Barren [Posts: 1708] Logged
  • View Profile
  • [November 25, 2011, 03:33:17 PM]
Queen of Palemoon