Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
My Patch (Unamed)  (Read 22748 times)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Bad code, beware! The NOPs are coming to eat you!
formerdeathcorps [Posts: 1322]
  • View Profile
  • [April 02, 2010, 05:42:45 AM]
My Patch (Unamed)
« on: April 02, 2010, 05:42:45 AM »
OK, so here's a beta of my patch.  The link to the PPF is here: http://www.sendspace.com/file/tfxdrf.  For sprite reasons, you MUST patch this to a FFT ISO that has been extended with the .457 version of ShiShi but has no other changes in it.  The link to .457 is http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=3446.

Changes (from vanilla, not 1.3):

Item and Equipment Changes (from Vanilla):

Mechanics Changes:

Skillset Changes (if something is not noted, there is no change from vanilla--unless otherwise noted, stats are from vanilla):

Special Skillset changes:

Monster Skillset Changes (* means monster skill):

Known Bugs:
If the first 6 squire/engineer/death knight... skills are not mastered, you will not be able to use swordmaster or lancer skills properly, regardless of whether you have learned the skills from the swordmaster and lancer skillset.  This is not fixable without a serious amount of ASM that only the Japanese were able to do.
Renamed units do not have their names reflected in TEST.EVT.  I suspect this is impossible to fix, though I'll see if I can restrict renaming to just generics.
The formation does not correctly display Rad/Lavian/Alicia.
Units with oil and darkness will not take 2x damage from fire.  Can fix this, just really time-consuming.
Red Mages have slowdown on all their spells.  I can fix this; it's just painful to resort all the ENTDs (for the umpteenth time).
Unicorn doesn't heal normal units.
Units with astra will not be targeted or healed by the AI until they die even though units with the modified wall status do take damage now.
Miluda's sprite after you beat her at the Thieves' Fort reverts to her knight sprite, except the entire thing looks buggy.  I suspect this is a EVTCHR problem.
If you do not master the Xth skill of squire (or whatever else base class), where X is between 1 and 6, you will not be able to learn the Xth skill on lancer and swordmaster.  This is one of the reasons they are actually unlocked by spillover JP and have such high requirements in squire.
Berserk allows counter magic but not spell-casting.
A good number of attacks have messed-up attack animations (throw spirit = blue knife, dash = punch, raised hands for greased bolt...mostly because I didn't do much fixing with the animation tab yet).

ASM Requests:
Remove the NS and non-elemental flags off of all healing, fixed damage, and life drain spells.
Make Arrow Guard block gunshots.  Make Blade Grasp not block gunshots or arrow shots (if possible without messing up counter).
Hard-code counter magic to not work if berserked
Compress status timers so I can give timers to curse, confuse, berserk, and the like.
Change Faith and Brave Up to add 10 brave/faith per turn.
Cap MP absorption by current MP.
Make blind override concentrate (and transparent, if the accuracy of both is coded together; otherwise, I'd rather not have it this way) and have it halve maximum accuracy rather than double enemy C-EV.

Progress:
Finished all mechanics.  What was written above will be the mechanics for the game, more or less.
Finished all ENTDs though I may adjust difficulty or add in special battles and names via player request.  If you want to see yourself as a hero or villain, please post!
Finished event editing up to Chapter 2 + Vormav's battle (thank you 1.3).

What Remains to be Done:
All the event editing of all the other chapters.
Spriting
Making my own SCEAP.DAT
Finding a Name (other than RP Patch)

Progress:
Mechanics: 95+%
ENTDs: 66% (missing custom random battles and story battles to be redone)
ASM/Hex: 50%
Text: 75+% (Character names wrong for Chapter 3/4 + character bios haven't been done right)
Events: 33% (up to Chapter 2 with some other odds and ends)
Sprites/EVTCHR: 5% (no custom sprites made yet)
Maps: 0%

I'll post the storyline changes if anyone shows interest.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 10:50:30 AM by formerdeathcorps »
The destruction of the will is the rape of the mind.
The dogmas of every era are nothing but the fantasies of those in power; their dreams are our waking nightmares.
ALL THE THINGS Official Caretaker.
RavenOfRazgriz [Posts: 3030]
  • View Profile
  • [April 02, 2010, 06:16:33 AM]
Re: My Patch (Unamed)
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 06:16:33 AM »
Recommendation:  Put each set of changes in Spoiler Tags, so we can expand them one at a time and the post doesn't look like a giant wall of text/list.

I've not got the time to look over everything right now, but I saw a line that pretty much said some Lucavi has a move that inflicts 100% Crystal.  Get that the hell out of there, that's pretty much going to send any player for their reset button instantly whenever it goes off, ESPECIALLY if the Soldier Office is no more (meh as well).
  • View Profile
  • [April 02, 2010, 06:31:35 AM]
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 06:31:35 AM »
Spoiler tags added.  As for the auto-crystal thing, the only 2 enemies capable of it are Ajora and Elibdis.  If only 1 unit crystallized in your fight against Ajora, you're probably not going to start over just because it's the final battle.  Elibdis will probably keep it just because his battle is optional and he's meant to be difficult.

The dogmas of every era are nothing but the fantasies of those in power; their dreams are our waking nightmares.
Asmo X [Posts: 1689]
  • View Profile
  • [April 02, 2010, 06:41:12 AM]
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 06:41:12 AM »
Crystalised characters do not strike players as a "difficulty" issue. It strikes them as an "infuriation" issue. If you want your patch to be scoffed at, go ahead and leave instant crystalisation.
  • View Profile
  • [April 02, 2010, 07:47:12 AM]
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 07:47:12 AM »
Talked it over with some people.  Seemed no one liked the crystal idea.

The crystal spell targets only one unit (so it's not an auto-reset like 1.3).  The fact that I'm not using 1.3's boosted stats means Ajora doesn't have crazy amounts of HP, so if you know what you're doing, Ajora shouldn't have time to crystallize your entire squad.  Plus, there's no game after Ajora so you're not really losing anything from that.  I'll probably keep it unless people complain Ajora is impossible to beat because of her crystallization spell.
As for Elibdis, you're probably right about that.  I'll replace it with voodoo (fixed 999 damage) in the next version with all my event edits for Chapter 2.

Zenius [Posts: 419]
  • View Profile
  • [April 02, 2010, 08:07:55 AM]
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 08:07:55 AM »
Since when was there a multi-target Crystal spell in 1.3? o.O
Or is Banish multi-target and I just don't know about it?
  • View Profile
  • [April 02, 2010, 09:18:07 AM]
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 09:18:07 AM »
re: ajora. If she targets Ramza with this skill it is an instant game over, correct?
Unreliable as a Mime.
The Damned [Posts: 2168]
  • View Profile
  • [April 02, 2010, 02:16:52 PM]
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 02:16:52 PM »
Yeah, even if it wasn't for Asmo's (rhetorical) question, I would have to agree that Instant Crystal anywhere, even end-game, is just asking for trouble. Even if you give a random flag or give a prohibitively large MP cost (which makes it not worth adding), then I don't really see how the computer wouldn't just whore it out. The computer may do questionable actions at times, but it tries its best to seize advantages and there's really nothing more advantageous than Instant Crystal, especially considering that Altima could use this instant crystal attack and then move to heal herself with said crystal. I don't really see how you'd be able to beat her even with vanilla stats if has the potential to get 999 HP back every turn.

Besides that, as someone whose monsters are loaded with innates, I find it rather pointless for you to give them innate "Move +X" and "Jump +X" abilities when you can just up their movement stats.

I currently have no other comments. Provided I can get my crap together, I may start trying it out as early as tonight, but I'll probably to wait next week to get back to you with anything else.

"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"
Timbo [Posts: 537]
  • View Profile
  • [April 03, 2010, 04:50:43 AM]
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2010, 04:50:43 AM »
Way to go FDC.
Archael
  • [April 04, 2010, 06:52:22 PM]
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2010, 06:52:22 PM »
Quote from: "Asmo X"
Crystalised characters do not strike players as a "difficulty" issue. It strikes them as an "infuriation" issue. If you want your patch to be scoffed at, go ahead and leave instant crystalisation.

crystal status adds difficulty on the most extreme way possible

frustrating? yes, especially if it's on an obligatory storyline fight

doesn't add difficulty? BS

losing a unit forever adds to the difficulty of X fight greatly
Guess who is back?
Shade [Posts: 1078]
  • View Profile
  • [April 04, 2010, 07:28:41 PM]
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2010, 07:28:41 PM »
Quote from: "Voldemort"

Agreed.

It's only BS when it would not be a final boss fight.

Upupupu...

Zetsubou
ALL THE THINGS Official Caretaker.
RavenOfRazgriz [Posts: 3030]
  • View Profile
  • [April 04, 2010, 09:11:12 PM]
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2010, 09:11:12 PM »
Quote from: "Shade"
Agreed.

It's only BS when it would not be a final boss fight.

It's also BS if Ramza can be hit by the move, causing you to auto-lose the fight to something you have absolutely no way of preventing or predicting.

Or if the boss has some stupid bajillion level of HP like 1.3's Altima or something, if only because of the sheer amount of damage she can take and put out even without an auto-Crystal move (Bahamut AoE Lifebreak anyone?).

I don't think it'd be too unfair on a vanilla-growth Altima 2 with preset Level 99 (for HP reasons) or something, though, as long as she can't autowin the fight by hitting Ramza with it since you're FORCED to use him.
  • View Profile
  • [April 05, 2010, 12:59:13 AM]
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2010, 12:59:13 AM »
Changes:
Materia Blade is 2H (since the WP is now 20).
Iga Knife/Orochi is 2H (since the WP is now 20).
Sasuke Knife has 17 WP (14 was too low).
Removed all weapons with WP>16 from being throwable by players except the rising sun shuriken.
All level 2 and 3 spells are now deadlier, but cost more JP.  Black Mage 4 spells have been replaced by ifrit, titan, and ramuh (which now deal less than the 3 spells, but charge faster and have better AoE without hurting allies).  Summoners did not gain any spells (they had too many in vanilla), but titan gained a 25% confuse proc and a JP increase, while salamander gained ifrit's 25% oil proc.  I may consider giving summoner books since early summoners (until job level = 4 or higher) really don't have attack spells from their base class.
Black Mage received oracle's dispel magic and lost poison (parity reasons with WM's esuna).  Oracle received bio1 instead of ultima as their learn from monster spell (fits better with the concept of a status caster).
The asura/chirijiraden display bug was fixed.
Wave fist is now wind elemental.  Probably will rename this to air render.
Fury now adds berserk and haste.  Couldn't get berserk + critical to actually trigger bonecrusher except when the HP actually retained the critical status.
Red Mage now takes normal elemental damage from all magic unless damage is nulled or absorbed.
Nerfed the MP damage dealt by the generic version of magic break and magic absorb since MP growths and curative abilities were nerfed.

As promised, crystal won't be decided until people actually test that Ajora battle.  If this is really an issue, we can make Ramza 3 immune to crystal, but that also means that Ramza 3 might not die when his death timer reaches zero (because there's a 50% chance of crystal and a 50% chance of treasure box; if you get that 50% crystal and you are immune, nothing happens).
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 12:57:09 PM by formerdeathcorps »
Unreliable as a Mime.
  • View Profile
  • [April 05, 2010, 01:12:44 AM]
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2010, 01:12:44 AM »
Won't giving Ramza 3 immunity to crystal only work when he's in his Squire class?

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"
  • View Profile
  • [April 05, 2010, 01:18:12 AM]
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2010, 01:18:12 AM »
Quote from: "The Damned"
Won't giving Ramza 3 immunity to crystal only work when he's in his Squire class?

Yes, unfortunately you're right.  That won't work.

Let's not forget Ajora also mass AoE damage and status with grand cross and all-ultima.  I'm not so sure he'd pick crystal to 1 unit if he can kill/incapacitate 2+ units.  I don't think the AI knows that adding crystal to Ramza results in game-over; if it did, wouldn't you expect the AI to always attack Ramza first in every other battle (so Ramza would always crystallize first)?

• View Profile
  • [April 05, 2010, 02:04:01 AM]
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2010, 02:04:01 AM »
Quote from: "Voldemort"

I didn't say it didn't increase the difficulty in any way, I said it strikes players less for that particular feature and more for the feature that they instantly and permanently lose a character they've spent x amount of time building plus all their equipment. It's not like the character is lost just for that particular battle. You seem to be glossing over this completely just so that you can worship at the altar of difficulty again.
Unreliable as a Mime.
  • View Profile
  • [April 05, 2010, 02:29:55 PM]
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2010, 02:29:55 PM »
Asmo, you know that Voldemort and Shade don't seem to believe in Fake Difficulty. Just let it go (all three of you). We don't need another argument that goes for two pages because one side or another seems not get the argument at all.

Quote from: "formerdeathcorps"
Let's not forget Ajora also mass AoE damage and status with grand cross and all-ultima.  I'm not so sure he'd pick crystal to 1 unit if he can kill/incapacitate 2+ units.  I don't think the AI knows that adding crystal to Ramza results in game-over; if it did, wouldn't you expect the AI to always attack Ramza first in every other battle (so Ramza would always crystallize first)?

It's difficult to tell, honestly.

A lot of the time, Ramza IS singled out, but because of storyline reasons/positioning. He's usually in front of everyone else too.

However, the computer, even in 1.3 outside of Kanbabrif (or whatever his name is--regardless, as I understand it, that fight isn't anything close to a winnable most of the time), doesn't have access to Instant Crystal, so most of the time their wins come from just adding Dead (or Petrify...or Blood Suck, even though that's only a problem one fight in the entire game--yes, I know there's Vampires at Doldobar now; I beat them in my last run before I lost interested) to everyone.

In fact, you just pointed something that makes me think that Altima/Ultima WOULD use the crystal thing a lot more than I thought--maybe not on Ramza (immediately), but between her Teleport 2 and the fact that you instantly lose one unit for the remainder of the fight without being able to do anything about it's not like you can hide from her....

You pointed out that All-Ultima and, to a lesser extent, Grand Cross have significant AoEs. Normally I've played that last part of the game thusly by spacing my people out, sacrificing Alma when necessary.

So...do you think that computer would honestly waste an All-Ultima on someone that it might not killed (fixation with Alma aside; you can't always count her to be up without get drawn into an AoE and even then...) or just instantly kill them via Crystallization? Like I said, the computer isn't as dumb as it seems sometimes and I'm sure it knows what Crystal does to some extent even if you set it to Random or something.

I agree that it would need testing, I suppose, despite saying that it shouldn't be in the game in the first place. It is your patch, after all.

That said, the thing that makes it difficult to test is that it's the very last fight in the game. Unless someone has a file right before Altima (I currently don't), I don't see how anyone is going to be able to test it anytime soon and I'm sure, for reasons that Asmo rightly pointed out, people would be somewhat weary to play all the way through your version of the game just either get into a battle's really frustrating for all the wrong reasons or just plain unable to be won.

Guess who is back?
Shade [Posts: 1078]
  • View Profile
  • [April 05, 2010, 03:08:25 PM]
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2010, 03:08:25 PM »
Quote from: "The Damned"
Asmo, you know that Voldemort and Shade don't seem to believe in Fake Difficulty. Just let it go (all three of you). We don't need another argument that goes for two pages because one side or another seems not get the argument at all.

Actually I DO believe in it. Just diffrent way then Asmo X.

Anyway I can't see another way to make instant crystalization fair because when ramza crystalizes it's game over expect giving immortality flag to Ramza for that battle.

Upupupu...

Zetsubou
Archael
  • [April 06, 2010, 12:53:30 AM]
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2010, 12:53:30 AM »
The AI is aware of what Crystal does

I am 50/50 on whether it knows that Ramza crystallizing = victory

I've seen evidence that goes both ways

Random flag is meaningless in finding out, because all it does it disable the skill for the AI on random turns... so don't even talk about random flag and AI in the same sentence!!!! !1
Timbo [Posts: 537]
  • View Profile
  • [April 08, 2010, 11:49:08 PM]
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2010, 11:49:08 PM »
Just wondering about your Gold Chocobo.  Namely how did you do it?  I've been reading that you cannot add any new monsters, that all you can do is replace them.  Also, is your Gold Chocobo Mountable?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6