• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

June 01, 2024, 05:32:10 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

New FFT Patcher Tutorial

Started by Special-T, March 28, 2008, 12:35:33 am

Special-T

March 28, 2008, 12:35:33 am Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Special-T
I had some difficultly getting started / using the program when I first came here, luckily we have nice people that frequent the forum / IRC channel that were willing to help me with my endeavors.

Unless a tutorial already exists I would like to create one (which would include pictures / examples etc)

I would hope (if the tutorial is good enough) that it would eventually be included in the download with the actual files to help others get started.

Well below you will find a mock up of what I plan on including in the help file. It's an image that includes numbers for each area / drop box it also corresponds to the psp in-game images listed below.

In addtion I have include an excel spread sheet that will detail what each field is used for. It's not complete because sadly I still don't know what all the fields are for. So anyone that knows the answers to some of the questions contained in the excel spread sheet please post them here so I can update them. Thank you!

Or you can download the Excel file from mediafire HERE

Xifanie

March 28, 2008, 04:41:47 pm #1 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
Well, the effort is appreciated but the average person can understand that changing the amount in the "Bravery" field changes the unit's bravery.
The only confusing ones are boolean ones (Zodiac Monster, Load formation, etc.) which you haven't given a single hint about them (surely because you don't know about them).
I wouldn't say the pictures are a BAD idea, but as there as still many unknowns, later versions would require a complete re-screenshotization.

So basically only text is the way to go, yet you have to know the information in order to write it down.
I'm definitely the one who know the most about what FFTPatcher currently contains (not shishi sprite editor or TacText though).
I'd need to compile all the information but it's in my brain... and I can't just copy/paste as I don't have a USB hub. :(
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Special-T

March 29, 2008, 10:36:20 am #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Special-T
Quote from: "Zodiac"Well, the effort is appreciated but the average person can understand that changing the amount in the "Bravery" field changes the unit's bravery.
The only confusing ones are boolean ones (Zodiac Monster, Load formation, etc.) which you haven't given a single hint about them (surely because you don't know about them).
I wouldn't say the pictures are a BAD idea, but as there as still many unknowns, later versions would require a complete re-screenshotization.

So basically only text is the way to go, yet you have to know the information in order to write it down.
I'm definitely the one who know the most about what FFTPatcher currently contains (not shishi sprite editor or TacText though).
I'd need to compile all the information but it's in my brain... and I can't just copy/paste as I don't have a USB hub. :(

yeah I guess your right, adding the in game screen shots are probably unneccesary. Well I don't want to through any more on your plate but if ever you get time I think it would be helpful to have a tutorial.

Also if you want to use the FFTpatcher screen with the numbers (for your tutorial if you get time) your more than welcome.

Zuka

December 26, 2008, 10:47:05 am #3 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zuka
Quote from: "Zodiac"I'd need to compile all the information but it's in my brain... and I can't just copy/paste as I don't have a USB hub. :(

You know I know a guy... lol

DarthPaul

December 26, 2008, 11:45:30 am #4 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by darthpaul
Wow a USB hub for the brain would be the best thing since internet pr0n.........which I didn't get back after returning from hiatis.
Oh pitiful shadow lost in the darkness, bringing torment and pain to others. Oh damned soul wallowing in your sin, perhaps...it is time to die

enigma43

January 20, 2009, 02:43:30 pm #5 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by enigma43
Hey, could someone please explain how to patch FFT Patcher to the iso?  I can't figure out where you're supposed to save the patch when you click patch--it just keeps saying its not a recognized iso image...:oops:

DarthPaul

January 20, 2009, 03:01:24 pm #6 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by darthpaul
There is a patch function under psp or psx depending on your ISO.
Oh pitiful shadow lost in the darkness, bringing torment and pain to others. Oh damned soul wallowing in your sin, perhaps...it is time to die

enigma43

January 20, 2009, 03:38:16 pm #7 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by enigma43
Yeah, so i have the psp, and when i click psp patch war of the lions ISO i dont know what to put into the ISO box.  I'm a real noob at this...

DarthPaul

January 20, 2009, 04:18:17 pm #8 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by darthpaul
.........When it asks you you put the ISO in the box and it should patch all fo your changes onto it.

Archael

January 20, 2009, 05:26:23 pm #9 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
Guides are always good to have... no matter how easy to use a program is... there's always gonna be questions from SOMEONE.

enigma43

January 20, 2009, 05:55:58 pm #10 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by enigma43
Ugh, no my problem is that I don't know how to create an ISO file to be opened/saved by FFT Patcher...i'm trying to say i know where to open it on FFT Patcher, but the ISO file doesn't exist to open yet. I have UMD Gen, I opened my umd file onto the computer, and i located the fftpack.bin in UMD Gen, but i don't know what to do from here...i've looked through the forums and played around with this for about a week, but i'm stuck.  Any idea what i need to do?  btw thanks for wasting your time on me, i see how busy you are on the website and i really appreciate your help.

DarthPaul

January 20, 2009, 05:57:50 pm #11 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by darthpaul
It's probably a .bin then.

Vanya

January 20, 2009, 05:58:47 pm #12 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
Convert to iso. should be easy to find a program to do it with a google search.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
¯\(°_0)/¯

enigma43

January 22, 2009, 03:30:27 pm #13 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by enigma43
Argh... I did it, but i don't know how and i cant do it again!!  i set my mem stick to read the UMD, opened the umd on UMD Gen, located "FFT pack.bin", extracted it, but when i do that the entire folder, SQ, gets extracted. I loacte the extracted .bin file in SQ, used magiciso to convert it to iso (but after its done, it says the type of file is an archive, not .iso), and i try to "patch war of the lions iso", but it still says that the file is not a recognized iso image...what am i doing wrong?  Please help! this is the first time I've ever done this kind of thing!(im guesing thats obvious by now lol)

CidIII

January 22, 2009, 05:56:39 pm #14 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by CidIII
You don't convert FFTpack.bin to an .iso.

And, I hope you made a copy of your original.

And, this question should be in the WoTL hacking section.

First of all, what are you trying to do edit sprites or just gameplay?
I refuse to play Final Fantasy Tactics again until I am able to do my FF6 patch! And, FFT 1.3 doesn't technically count as FFT: so there!

CidIII

January 22, 2009, 06:24:02 pm #15 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by CidIII
-For Sprites-
1. Open FFTPatcher
2. File > New PSP Patch
3. PSP > Utilities > Extract fftpack.bin > Choose directory
4. Edit whatever sprites you want with Shishi's
5. Go back to FFTPatcher
6. PSP > Utilities > Rebuild fftpack.bin > Choose directory you extracted to
7. Take the new fftpack.bin and replace the old one in UMDGen
I refuse to play Final Fantasy Tactics again until I am able to do my FF6 patch! And, FFT 1.3 doesn't technically count as FFT: so there!