^ Bro~ken. [/singsong.]
As for the initial list, I have to admit that I'm only liking half of the ideas. I'll explain why--I'll try to be concise for once:
- Hymn of Encouragement: Heavily intrudes upon Time Mage's territory when Time Mage needs all the help it can get and Priest is already useful.* I say thee nay.
- Hymn of Death: Just seems out of place, really. I could maybe see Death Sentence if this were a higher type of Priest, but even then that wouldn't really be a generic class.
- Repetitive Hymn: Just seems really out of place, even moreso than the above. From the name (yes, I know names are tentative, still) to the status that it attempts to inflict, it's just...not meshing for me. That said, I could see Berserk saying as something of a Cantor thing, but that's only because Berserk is a relatively "neutral" status.
- Hymn of Faram: I'll put this bluntly: Hell no. We really don't need the problem of Holy** popping up once again when we can just get rid of it. I may be overreacting because of the "very high" damage description.
- Hymn of Lucavi: Similarly, I also reject this because I think that Cantor should simply have no business having damage options, much less broad damage options. One or two selective detrimental attacks, sure, but I don't want them doing moderate damage to anything that isn't already Undead personally.
Speaking of which, I will present an idea that I'm going to be using for Bard--am I the only person that's keeping that class in a make-over patch? it sure seems like it--my patch currently. (Oh noes! Spoilers! Snape kills Dumboldore!)
I'm going to tweak this idea a bit because I'm not sure what changes you've made to status in your patch, if any, whereas I've already changed a lot of things, so I'm pretty sure one of the things I wanted won't work in your patch at the moment:Requiem
OR Hymn for/of the Dead
: A song that only affects the Undead, it attempts to put them to rest for good and allow them to finally move on. (Only affects Undead, meaning it has to use formula 40 and can't do damage like how Requiem in FFV did damage--it still annoys me that this is the only Undead-affecting formula, but I digress. Attempts to Randomly Add Sleep, Don't Act, Don't Move, Stop to Undead. Perhaps it can even add Dead, though only if it becomes Single Target at that point.
Other than that, the only other thing I can suggest--I'm currently distracted by getting rready for work, so forgive me--is that Esuna seems to be missing for some reason:Hymn of Forgiveness (I can't spell Contritrion right now)
: A single-target, highly-accurate Esuna-song. Easy.
P.S. Are you going to be using the song-animation for some of these, LastingDawn? I'm assuming you're going to be giving all the Hymn's Persevere at least, no?
*Lol, I know this isn't the place to talk about it, but I think you mispelled "Bard" in your first post Archael7. Priests have ALWAYS been useful. In fact, they've been a litte bit too useful, only outpaced by Chemist, Monks and Ninja in my eyes.
**The problem with Holy (IMO, though I shouldn't need to say that) is that not only does it outpace Flare for some reason, I guess because it's "elemental", but it also inflicts damage, that can be easily strengthen, versus an elemental that wasn't really defended against by anything (the AI would use) in vanilla. Between Holy and curative spells, Short Charge also made Holy a lot better than what Black Magic had to offer, especially since Black Mage was already outpaced by Summon Magic.