• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Help installing "The Lion War" with slight modification

Started by Stone of Light, October 08, 2019, 10:48:08 am

Stone of Light

October 08, 2019, 10:48:08 am Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 02:17:53 am by Stone of Light
So, I'm returning to FFT once again. I've never beat the game and had recently started back playing a re-balancing patch (LTF) but have decided that I'd rather start over and beat the game mostly vanilla using the new "The Lion War" patch. The only thing I want to modify is to make Gain JP UP innate for all classes. After doing some research, I'm gathering that is how I should go about it:

• Install "The Lion War" patch onto a clean iso.

• Searching through the ASM Request thread, I found a patch that says it should make Gain JP UP innate. However, I think it's not quite right. The patch is listed below:

BATTLE.BIN
    Address: 1179a4
    Change to 00000000

So, I went to look into the BATTLE.BIN documentation at the wiki and that address doesn't seem right. I'm guessing it should have been 17e9a4, which is the address of the instruction that branches if Unit doesn't have Gained  JP Up. I'm assuming the intent behind the patch was to "nop" the branch so that Gain JP Up would just always trigger. This seems to make sense to me but I wanted to check to make sure that I'm not missing something before applying the patch.

But basically, I should be able to install that patch (or a corrected version) to the iso with "The Lion War" patched onto it by using FFTorgASM.

• Finally, use FFTPatcher to create a patch that removes "Gain JP-UP" from all Skill Sets and apply that patch to my iso.

Am I missing anything here or are there any changes to "The Lion War" that I would need to take into account when making these changes?

Edit: Or for step 3, could I just get away with unchecking "Learn with JP (Player)" under the Gain JP-UP ability entry?
  • Modding version: PSX

Glain

0x1179a4 in BATTLE.BIN would be the correct address, because the game loads that file into RAM at address 0x67000, so the location of its code in RAM is offset by that same amount.  That instruction would be at RAM address 0x17e9a4 at runtime.  (In fact, BATTLE.BIN isn't even big enough to have an offset 0x17e9a4)
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Stone of Light

Thanks! Yeah, I had just saw that in one of the ASM tutorials a few hours ago. Obscure bits of info like that is why I decided to ask this question. I went ahead and applied the patches as described in my post and everything seems to work as intended. Looking forward to finally completing this game.

Nyzer

If you unchecked Learn with JP, it would probably remove the ability from the Learn list, but then prevent you from ever Mastering a base job, because it thinks it's still out there for you to learn on hit. Only, now, you can't.

You could probably still learn it from a crystal, but that's a whole 'nother can of worms to open, given the circumstances.

Stone of Light

I ended up both unchecking Learn with JP and removing it from every skill set that I saw it in. However, I'm not sure that covers all the classes, since (if I'm not mistaken) "The Lion War" adds a few new classes for WotL specific characters. I'm guessing the ability wouldn't be removed from those classes. I guess I can just ignore it if it shows up.

Nyzer

Well, if you miss one, you can just take another look and patch it again. You won't be able to just see the proper skillset names right there in Patcher since the Resources.zip file hasn't been released, but you can see the JP Boost ability present in every skillset it exists in.