Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen/RetroArch is recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Nerfing SwordSkills  (Read 393 times)
Pages: [1]
RetroTypes [Posts: 3]
  • View Profile
  • [May 28, 2019, 12:20:32 PM]
Nerfing SwordSkills
« on: May 28, 2019, 12:20:32 PM »
So you beat FFT:WotL. Now what? DD? Too easy, we're all Dark Knights with secondary SwordSkills, we murder everything in our path with ease..

I've officially joined this community for one purpose: making a patch that normalizes most classes in FFT. And that, unfortunately, means nerfing most SwordSkills. I get it, they're supposed to be OP, right? But for the sake of replayability, and having more fun, they have to get brought down to more standard levels. They should still be powerful, and have their unique talents and usefulness, but they shouldn't be the best option every time. With that in mind, here's the beginning of my idea of a more balanced FFT:WotL, the product of a few days of brainstorming and messing with FFTPatcher (and WAAAYYYY too many tabs open to these forums lmao) combined with many hours of playing FFT over the years. Keep in mind this is a (probably very) basic vanilla mod, I'm learning as I go here lol.

Anything highlighted is stuff I've already managed to get functionally working in-game via FFTPatcher

Lots more to come, like I said this is just a few days' worth of work and I want to accomplish these before trying to tackle changing the whole game haha. Let me know what y'all think!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 03:33:25 AM by RetroTypes »
    • Modding version: WotL
  • The Puppet ---Master---
    Elric (Overseer) [Posts: 4268]
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
    • http://steamcommunity.com/id/Bones42
    • [May 28, 2019, 08:31:08 PM]
    Re: Nerfing SwordSkills
    « Reply #1 on: May 28, 2019, 08:31:08 PM »
    You will need to remove abilities to make new ones. There are no extra slots left in WoTL. Unless there is maybe 1 or 2 im forgetting, but i doubt it since the unused ones in the psx version were used to make Dark Knight in WotL.

Several patches have done similar to what you are proposing. Not trying to dissuade you, but maybe check them out and get some inspiration from them

• Modding version: PSX
  • <@Angel> Teach a man to fish and he'll open up a fishery to compete against yours.
    Journey of the Five Youtube ChannelThe Lion War Current Status

Jot5 Leader :: Eventer :: OtherTLW Leader :: Eventer :: Other
    RetroTypes [Posts: 3]
    • View Profile
    • [May 29, 2019, 06:00:41 AM]
    Re: Nerfing SwordSkills
    « Reply #2 on: May 29, 2019, 06:00:41 AM »
    Yeah I'm replacing each classes original abilities with the new ones as I go, any left over I can use later on lol. And I've seen the other patches, all are great in their own way but not quite what I'm looking for. Plus, I enjoy doing this! If I can make my own personal version of the "best" FFT and also learn stuff, and maybe even share it with others along the way, well, count me in lol.
    Pages: [1]