Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen/RetroArch is recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Parted Ways 2.0 Ability Details  (Read 3026 times)
Pages: [1]
Mediator
Eternal [Posts: 3073]
  • View Profile
  • https://steamcommunity.com/id/eternal248/
  • [October 04, 2014, 05:01:10 AM]
Parted Ways 2.0 Ability Details
« on: October 04, 2014, 05:01:10 AM »
For those of you who enjoy analyzing my PW 2.0 threads for balance/thematic feedback, it's greatly appreciated. That's why I'm posting this topic: for you all to scour my skill ideas and hopefully provide some feedback as I'm making them. Listed below are the skills I have intended for each generic job and a basic description. Feedback is, of course, welcome!

Thoughts and feedback are welcome- Alchemist and Performer have been left out because their skills are still being finetuned and balanced. :)

• Modding version: PSX & WotL
    • Discord username: eternal248#1817
  • "You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
    Zero Dozer [Posts: 35]
    • View Profile
    • http://steamcommunity.com/id/zerodozer
    • [October 04, 2014, 05:35:43 AM]
    Re: Parted Ways 2.0 Ability Details
    « Reply #1 on: October 04, 2014, 05:35:43 AM »
    Heh, the job list is pretty much different, feeling as if you will need to have one of each to be able to multitask various things.

That said, I love the way you intend to put Dia and Aero into the game, it has a nice feel to it.
    --Sky Pirate--
    Vaan [Posts: 171]
    • View Profile
    • http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198117608824/
    • [October 04, 2014, 01:47:01 PM]
    « Reply #2 on: October 04, 2014, 01:47:01 PM »
    • Necromancer's Reraise removes half of the current or total hp? And does that act like Wound in FFXIII-2 where it reduced total hp?
    • Harbinger's Execute instantly kills, but is it evadable/blockable?
    • I feel that Corsair's status inflicting skills should not target all units, perhaps a small area. Also does it work like FFTA2's Nameless Song where using that skill would give out a random status differently to all targeted units out of its possibilities or is it going to be like, for example snake eyes, going to poison all units or regen all units?
    • Berserker's Throw Stone will be random between 1 and the damage cap or will it be based on a formula thats uses stats and a random number?
    • Shouldnt Valkyrie/Templar's Recruit work like Orator's Invitation from Vanilla? Otherwise I think it should be named Entice or Charm.

“    One of these days I’ll fly an airship of my own. I’ll be a sky pirate, free to go where I will.    „
       ~ Vaan
    Selius [Posts: 37]
    • View Profile
    • [October 04, 2014, 06:50:06 PM]
    « Reply #3 on: October 04, 2014, 06:50:06 PM »
    1. Putrify says ally unit: I don't understand the point of making it kill a non undead ally. Flavor? pointless.
    2. Too many mage jobs. You could stand to condense a couple and make more hybrid jobs like old Geomancer and Samurai were. (shoulda said this in the job topic but wtv)
    3. Sage's spell costs are gonna have to be ridiculous to not be the de facto mage.
    4. Quick - what kind of success rate? I can foresee stacking horoscopes for best affinity purely on this.
    5. No one's gonna use Corsairs for anything but utterly cheesing jackpot.
    6. Eruption - What does 255% fire damage mean?
    7. Dragonslayer should be an instant death effect, not doom.
    8. Infuriate sounds like an "add berserk" skill. maybe name it something like  Encourage or War Cry

Overall thoughts: my party will be 4x sage with seer subs, and a tank of some sort (probably agrias with valkyrie sub.
    Mediator
    • View Profile
    • [October 04, 2014, 07:32:32 PM]
    « Reply #4 on: October 04, 2014, 07:32:32 PM »
    Thanks for the feedback so far! I'll write a more in-depth post when I get home, but Selius, Putrify uses Death's formula, which inherently damages non-undead units and heals undead units.

Sages are potent but they'll be slow age their spells pricy. I'll get to the rest when I get home!

• "You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
    Mediator
    • View Profile
    • [October 04, 2014, 09:56:04 PM]
    « Reply #5 on: October 04, 2014, 09:56:04 PM »
    Okay, now that I'm home I can properly reply to the feedback!

@Zero:

Dia and Aero are some of my favorite spells in the series. Of course they'd make a comeback!

@Vaan:

-Reraise deals 50% of a unit's max HP worth of damage to always inflict Reraise on the target. It works on allies only to prevent abusing it on enemies. It's meant to be used in situations where a heavy blow will almost certainly kill a unit, or early on in a battle where allies are close to a healing unit.

-Execute is not blockable/evadeable. It'd be kind of useless if it were.

-Corsair skills calculate the status on each unit individually. Poison/Regen, for instance, only Poison -or- Regen will target a unit. The game then moves on to the next unit and calculates it again.

-Throw Stone is based on PA, so it'll act like it did in Vanilla, albeit more potent.

-"Recruit" sounds thematically better for a Templar or Valkyrie. :P

@Selius:

-Putrify uses Death's formula to assure that it heals Undead units. That's the only reason it'll slay living allies.

-Most jobs in PW 2.0 are Hybrids, even if they at first don't appear so. Most physical jobs also have magical options. Sentinels have Protect/Shell, Harbingers have Immobilize/Disable/Slow, Elementalists have varied abilities, etc. Likewise, many Mages have abilities that benefit from being used by physical units, such as Poisonstrike/Atheistrike on Magus, Blind on Devouts, etc. PW 2.0 is definitely more skewed towards MA, but it's just a personal preference- which is funny, since Vanilla was definitely more physically inclined.

-Sages are slow and their spells cost a lot of MP. Sure, they'll have great MA, but they won't be able to cast a lot without help. Seer secondary helps, but that's a turn left to regenerate when any other mage could probably be casting still.

-Quick's success rate is not determined yet, though it'll be less accurate than Vanilla Quick.

-Corsairs are meant to be potentially very broken depending on luck. If someone is willing to spend upwards of 1500 JP to get Jackpot (which will likely be the cost of it) for a -chance- to Doom half of your own units and the enemy units, so be it. If I find it's too abusable, it'll be dealt with, of course.

-255% Fire damage basically ensures that even if you halve Fire damage, you're dying. Brutally.

-Dragonslayer being Add: Death instead of Add: Doom was something I'd considered, but like Exorcise, it uses time as a way to balance it. Exorcise causes Death on an Undead unit, but that unit will always come back in 3 turns. Dragonslayer will always Add: Doom on a unit, but it causes Death to take place 3 turns later.

-Infuriate. It boosts Fury. Common sense prevails here. :P

Unreliable as a Mime.
    The Damned [Posts: 2168]
    • View Profile
    • [October 15, 2014, 09:42:54 PM]
    « Reply #6 on: October 15, 2014, 09:42:54 PM »
    As usual, I am jealous of your simple formating. I should really try that for once. In the meanwhile, I'll try to be as thorough about this as possible given both my absence and trying to get things done in as few posts as possible. So even if I have nothing to say about a particular ability, I'll put "no comment here" or something equivalent. Ergo, if I end up skipping something entirely, just assume I unintentionally forgot it while trying to hit everything rather had nothing to say about it (even if I go back and end up having nothing to say about it).

Needless to say, this will get rather long again. Like, really, really long. [/eloquence]

Please take however much time you need to reply to this if you reply to this at all:

Good luck with figuring out Performer and Alchemist.
    « Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 07:47:23 PM by The Damned »
    "Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"
    Mediator
    • View Profile
    • [November 10, 2014, 04:54:03 AM]
    « Reply #7 on: November 10, 2014, 04:54:03 AM »
    I'm now in a sufficient mood to actually post on the forums again for a bit, so I'll take this rare opportunity to (belatedly) respond to your reply. :P

Unreliable as a Mime.
    The Damned [Posts: 2168]
    • View Profile
    • [November 16, 2014, 08:00:27 AM]
    « Reply #8 on: November 16, 2014, 08:00:27 AM »
    (Meh. Delayed responses are fine. Yours at least had an excuse. My delayed response was just due to sloth as per usual.)

Given how much you had to read through, no one could blame you for taking a while either really. I mean, I had to look back just to see what you were replying to in some cases:

My apologies for my own delayed response given how much of that is me just saying "good to know" or something like it, but thanks for taking the time to reply like always.
    « Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 07:53:59 PM by The Damned »
    "Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"
    Pages: [1]