Monsters in PW 2.0  (Read 2511 times)
Pages: [1]
Mediator
Eternal [Posts: 3037]
  • View Profile
  • [September 06, 2014, 02:48:47 AM]
Monsters in PW 2.0
« on: September 06, 2014, 02:48:47 AM »
As with PW 1.0, each monster in its family will fill a unique role that sets it apart from its family. PW 2.0 revives that concept, with a bit more flair.

As with PW 1.0, there are new monsters:

Tonberries
Lamias
Werewolves
Adamantoises
Flans

The following monsters have been removed from player access:

Uribos
Treants
Minotaurs
Ahrimans
Behemoths

Don't fret! Behemoths, Ahrimans, and Minotaurs will return as Lucavian allies, with buffed stats and skills.

Monsters in PW have high HP and can survive many blows if they aren't debuffed, making them potent threats. Some monsters can be jerks (like Werewolves that can use Taunt/Berserk and have Hamedo), while others focus on healing (such as Flanitors and their Rescue/Esuna abilities), and others who focus on buffing (such as the Adamantoise with Protect), and others on debuffing (such as Ghouls with Curse). Monsters are also gaining the added perk of Innate: Omnicasting (Non-charge), meaning their spells will be able to go off instantly, giving them a tactical edge.

In addition, Gerard the Beastmaster will also be returning in Chapter I, and he will be the sole source of getting monsters onto your team with his Tame ability. Having Gerard stand next to a monster will unlock their Beastmaster skill- often a potent spell that can greatly help, especially combined with innate Non-Charge.

Further details to come later in the week!

"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
Selius [Posts: 37]
  • View Profile
  • [September 06, 2014, 04:32:55 AM]
Re: Monsters in PW 2.0
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 04:32:55 AM »
I hope the lamias aren't the bullshit ones we have to deal with in Jot5 lol

man i hate those things
Grass/Flying
skiploom188 [Posts: 237]
  • View Profile
  • [September 06, 2014, 08:17:46 AM]
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 08:17:46 AM »
Looking good Eternal, I'm already excited to play this patch.

The moment you said Flans...

hehehe

I apologize for my lack of knowledge but, what do Flans really look like?

• Modding version: Other/Unknown
  • ======================================================================
    I evolved... into a stick figure. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCj-yTyoVpYIdcdIPw8SP5rw
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Pokemon Fantasy Tactics - A treat for FFT fans! http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=10984.msg207542
    ======================================================================
    Unreliable as a Mime.
    The Damned [Posts: 2168]
    • View Profile
    • [September 06, 2014, 04:48:27 PM]
    « Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 04:48:27 PM »
    (Aw. I think I'm probably the only person to like Treants as well as to not be that enthused about Werewolves still. Oh well.)

Otherwise, it looks interesting, especially since we seem to be thinking along the same lines in Lucavi/Esper back-up for some monsters. It's rather amusing that, Minotaurs aside, we choose completely different ones though.

I do find it amusing that you're also taking at least Flanitor from FFXIII. Save for statuses and that one song, amusing Flan names were one of few other things that game seemed to do correctly.

Now I tempted to see which one of us can use or make the most humorous Flan name and/or make our Flans the most annoying.

Looking good Eternal, I'm already excited to play this patch.

The moment you said Flans...

hehehe

I apologize for my lack of knowledge but, what do Flans really look like?

I'm not sure why you're apologizing, though I'll personally admit it's a bit weird for someone to on a Final Fantasy-related website to not know what Flans look like. Then again, I suppose Final Fantasy Tactics was basically the only FF game they weren't in, so it's a bit understandable.

Flans' looks can change quite a bit, especially if you go back to earlier games, but their names are totally meant to make you think of said dessert. They're generally rotund, person-sized, oblong blobs of jelly with eyes that generally start out blue-ish in color nowadays before palette swaps start happening, which Choto captured well when he (thankfully) did the sprite for them about a couple of years ago.
    « Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 07:24:44 AM by The Damned »
    "Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"
    Grass/Flying
    • View Profile
    • [September 07, 2014, 07:09:50 AM]
    « Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 07:09:50 AM »
    Well now you know, Tactics has been the ONLY Final Fantasy game I played. Now go be weirded at me some more.

*Looks at Flan photos in wiki page* Ha it looks like the dessert turned into a nightmare XD

Wow Choto did the sprites well, can't wait to poach those blobs.

I evolved... into a stick figure. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCj-yTyoVpYIdcdIPw8SP5rw
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Pokemon Fantasy Tactics - A treat for FFT fans! http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=10984.msg207542
    --Sky Pirate--
    Vaan [Posts: 171]
    • View Profile
    • http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198117608824/
    • [September 07, 2014, 02:05:47 PM]
    « Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014, 02:05:47 PM »
    Well now you know, Tactics has been the ONLY Final Fantasy game I played. Now go be weirded at me some more.

*Looks at Flan photos in wiki page* Ha it looks like the dessert turned into a nightmare XD

You should play more FF's, XII, V and IV Complete Collection are my favs, but every single one is good in general.

Its more than nightmare-ish when you dont have a mage or mp for your mage, in the main games they re only weak to the element of their color (like red flan is weak to fire) but in FFTA and FFTA2 they have an element of their color and are weak to the opposite element (Red Flan casts/absorbs Fire and is weak to Blizzard)

“    One of these days I’ll fly an airship of my own. I’ll be a sky pirate, free to go where I will.    „
       ~ Vaan
    Grass/Flying
    • View Profile
    • [September 07, 2014, 04:49:44 PM]
    « Reply #6 on: September 07, 2014, 04:49:44 PM »
    I'll definitely try some more FF's if I get the time and internet for it (Sloooow downloads here). I think I had a Final Fantasy IV disc, but PSX is dead :(((

Never knew about the Flan's colors having effects on Elemental weaknesses. Thanks for that tip Vaan :)

Unreliable as a Mime.
    • View Profile
    • [September 07, 2014, 05:57:36 PM]
    « Reply #7 on: September 07, 2014, 05:57:36 PM »
    (Be mindful that FFXI and FFXIV are essentially MMORPGs, skiploom188.

Also, hey, your post count finally broke the original Pokemon number. Not that post count matters; I just find it amusing given your user name.)

Yes, as Vaan and the page I linked to said: Flans tend to be physical tanks that are generally only really affected by magic and, I suppose, status. While we can't make them as absurdly tanky as usual--*pouts*--in FFT hacks due to there being no Defense stat, due to innates it's at least somewhat possible to achieve a vaguely accurate mirror of their level of usual annoyance.

Maybe Eternal's Flans will take some mercy on you guys in that regard though; mine certainly have no knowledge of mercy.

You should play more FF's, XII, V and IV Complete Collection are my favs, but every single one is good in general.

*looks at the Final Fantasy XIII series*

I...wouldn't go quite that far.
    « Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 08:02:19 PM by The Damned »

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"
    --Sky Pirate--
    • View Profile
    • [September 07, 2014, 06:30:18 PM]
    « Reply #8 on: September 07, 2014, 06:30:18 PM »

*looks at the Final Fantasy XIII series*

I...wouldn't go quite that far.

XIII and its sucessor have a nice gameplay and graphics (not sure about Lightning Returns), i dont like the characters and plot. But out of Fabula Nova Crystalis or w.e i sincerely liked Type-0, i just wish i could understand the japanese shit on my screen so i could play more properly and understand the plot.

“    One of these days I’ll fly an airship of my own. I’ll be a sky pirate, free to go where I will.    „
       ~ Vaan
    Battle Wizard
    Aiolon [Posts: 122]
    • View Profile
    • [September 07, 2014, 07:25:05 PM]
    « Reply #9 on: September 07, 2014, 07:25:05 PM »
    YES TO FLANS!!!

PW and Jot5 are probably my favorite patches but i find PW more challenging: (i have no Gil Hell Yeah!! time to hunt human units and steal their stuff)
    elemental monsters are probably my favorite monsters in FF series specially because i like magic but i don't know if these will be elemental flans. But i love the idea of adding flans  :D

and im going to miss the behemots 1 hiting my party :l
    also i find uribos and treants to be rare monsters not only on mods but on Vanilla too.
    removing Minotaurs its interesting, they are commonly seen on chapter 1 as they are common monsters, also wondering how this will affect the skill set of Gerard  :?

still waiting for the day someone makes Cactuar sprite and make a party of 6 or 7 of them in zeklaus dessert using 1000 neddles that and Entite sprites from FFXII because those were my favorite monsters of the game loved to hunt them being low level <3

• Modding version: PSX
  • Wizzard: And now i have finished my project!
    Chocobo: Wark?
    Wizzard: Hurry up and give it a try!
    Chocobo: Wark...
    ~ Durai Records its now complete ~
    http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=10997.0
    Mediator
    • View Profile
    • [September 07, 2014, 08:03:09 PM]
    « Reply #10 on: September 07, 2014, 08:03:09 PM »
    Flans will have Innate: Defense Boost (and maybe Always: Protect) to simulate their high physical Defense. That said, magic won't just flat out kill them. Each Flan has Slime, a 3 Range skill that deals damage and may inflict Silence, meaning they're still a threat. The Flanitor's Rescue heals its own HP and the HP of surrounding allies in a large AoE, whereas the regular Flan's Pacifying Shock can deal ranged damage and inflict Stop. They each have a way to shut down magic, meaning they can become very dangerous very quickly. They won't be elemental Flans, namely because I'm trying to cut down on elemental weaknesses on monsters in general to make them more appealing to use. That said, elemental weaknesses on monsters won't be totally gone because that's a ridiculous kick in the teeth to canon.

@Aiolon: Believe me. Behemoths will still one-shot your units if you let them get close without Protect/Defense Boost. It's also funny that you comment on Gil- the Gil System from PW 1.0 is staying in 2.0, but with a twist. If you want Gil, you'll need to find Denmada, which can be acquired by beating story battles or- newly- Treasure Hunting or beating Demi Marks- which was something I wasn't going to get into until later, but I may as well now.

Demi Marks are simply normal monster enemies, but they're Party Level +X, have ??? stats, and are Immortal status'd, meaning they're effectively bosses. Each monster in the game will have a Demi Mark version, and they can be rebattled. Demi Marks drop Denmada, meaning that if you find yourself short on Gil, you'll need to battle them to acquire more. This makes having Maintenance/Safeguard crucial- having broken gear will set you back a lot of precious Gil. That's why Maintenance/Safeguard will be only 50 JP on the Freelancer job. In battles against Snipers, it's very helpful.

On a related note, all Poaches are 100%, meaning monsters effectively only have one Poach now. Poaching is also a great way to get Gil as of Chapter III. Poaches are also the best way to handle Undead. Afterall, it can't get back up- and they always will- if they're removed from the field!

"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
    Battle Wizard
    Aiolon [Posts: 122]
    • View Profile
    • [September 07, 2014, 08:36:52 PM]
    « Reply #11 on: September 07, 2014, 08:36:52 PM »

so the flans will act as buffers/debuffers well no problem i want to welcome those Bastards with rocks and sticks if necessary
    Defense boost + Protect and the silcence debuff sounds like the perfect recipe for frustration but i'm sure i will have a lot of fun with them

as for Denmadas, im the kind of player that likes to have EVERY ITEM in the game so i'm always short of money and having to beat story line battles to earn some money was annoying to me and not enough considering the LARGE set of items in game so i could always make Ramza to waste months traveling to 1 place to another just to find a random party of humans to steal their items and wait for them to become chests or crystals to strengthen my units (yes i murder people for money that makes me a bandit but Ramza doesn't know so whatever). this had a lot of benefit later in game specially at chapter III because i poached to many monsters when i failed to get random battles with humans.
    the moment i saw i got 0 gil from my first random battle was priceless.

As for poaching removing common/rare poaches its interesting by the way im mage user mostly so i dont have to many units with poach guess i should staff wack monsters to death more often  :lol:

Demi Marks YES TO THIS please. the reason of why i loved FFTA2 and FF12 was the mark hunting. nothing makes my day better than killing some badass monster and claim the reward for it. would love if you make them poach-able for very rare unique or powerful items but you said they are Immortal status'd so i don't think you make it happen

As for safeguard don't need to tell me.. i learned that when a FKING goblin stole a new helmet i just bought... was hoping to get it as a reward trophy after finishing the battle but i see what you are doing there lol

loved to poach hemogoblins when they reached 0 MP loled at that as for the undead bastards yeah ik about poaching being the legit way to kill them.

• Modding version: PSX
  • Wizzard: And now i have finished my project!
    Chocobo: Wark?
    Wizzard: Hurry up and give it a try!
    Chocobo: Wark...
    ~ Durai Records its now complete ~
    http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=10997.0
    Unreliable as a Mime.
    • View Profile
    • [September 09, 2014, 05:18:27 AM]
    « Reply #12 on: September 09, 2014, 05:18:27 AM »
    (I'm not sure how I feel about all [regular] Flans being non-elemental.)

That said, I can unfortunately understand why monsters in general will be having less elemental focus, even if that makes Psion even weirder to me. Being overly focused on elemental stuff is a problem that I've been having with regards to Embargo in general, so indeed I can see why you would want to stray away from it.

I figured you would do something like "Demi-Marks", though I'll admit that having them being able to be fought over and over again is a bit...weird. Interesting, but weird. It sort of reminds me of the weird-ass monster Arena that FFX had, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I'm also not sure how I feel about Poach still, but that's a general sentiment not exclusive to your patch. Nice to see you at least consolidated the items you get from Poach like I had planned to and I'm not sure if anyone else has done yet oddly.

May I ask what made you decide to replace the monsters you replaced with the type of monsters you replaced, existent sprites aside?

XIII and its sucessor have a nice gameplay and graphics (not sure about Lightning Returns), i dont like the characters and plot. But out of Fabula Nova Crystalis or w.e i sincerely liked Type-0, i just wish i could understand the japanese shit on my screen so i could play more properly and understand the plot.

I do not want to derail this thread by talking about whether FFXIII is good or not, but I do want to respond just once by saying that the line I put bold is rather important: What's the point of playing an RPG if you don't like the characters or the plot? Hell, given how flawed vanilla is on a game-play level, the characters and the plot are why FFT is still easily my favorite Final Fantasy of the bunch and I mostly don't have favorites in any category.

I can't really say I know much about game-play, having not played the game, and some of what I've seen of it mechanically is kind of interesting, but I honestly can't care less about graphics. I mean, they're nice, sure, and even if a game's 8-bit the graphics have to be "good" since I'm not completely indifferent aesthetics. I've just never understood taking flash over substance even though it seems like shallow flash is something a lot of people--I'm not saying you necessarily--are not only okay with, but exclusively drool over.

Shrug. I guess I'm just a bit weirded out to see someone call FFXIII a good game who wasn't transparently some Square spokesperson or fanboy--not that I know much about you. As a whole, skiploom188 revealing that FFT is still the only FF he's played is way less weird to me both comparatively and as a standalone fact.
    « Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 08:37:19 PM by The Damned »

--Sky Pirate--
    • View Profile
    • [September 09, 2014, 02:38:18 PM]
    « Reply #13 on: September 09, 2014, 02:38:18 PM »
    What's the point of playing an RPG if you don't like the characters or the plot?

It was a gift, its costed about 75,50 US$ (brazilian taxes are high as fuck), at least i wanted to make it worth since my friend really got me a very expensive game. And by not liking the characters i meant their lore and development, not appearece. So it was a 6/10 for me, It wasnt horrible to play but wasnt that good either, so being average enough got me into finishing it just for the glory of not having to play it again. Not saying i regret playing it, i regret that it wasnt a good ff like the classics or at least like or X-2 which i didnt like that much aswell but definitively more tthan XIII

~ Vaan
    Mediator
    • View Profile
    • [September 12, 2014, 03:54:09 AM]
    « Reply #14 on: September 12, 2014, 03:54:09 AM »
    CHOCOBOS:

GOBLINS:

BOMBS:

PANTHERS:

MINDFLAYERS

SKELETONS:

GHOSTS:

LAMIAS:

COCKATRICES:

TONBERRIES:

ADAMANTOISES:

WEREWOLVES

MALBOROS:

FLANS:

DRAGONS:

To be decided.

HYDRAS:

To be decided.

Unreliable as a Mime.
    • View Profile
    • [September 13, 2014, 08:02:45 PM]
    « Reply #15 on: September 13, 2014, 08:02:45 PM »
    (Originally I was going to not using spoilers since I thought this shouldn't be that long despite there already being 42 entries. Clearly, I was delusional.)

Given how I've clogged up your other threads though, I figure using spoilers would at least be a consistent form of a problem, sort of like SAD. I also figure I'll make a spoiler for generic monsters as whole too, so there's that:

All that aside, I can't really say much to help with Dragons or Hydras unfortunately should you actually need help in that department. I imagine you're having opposite problems with them, though. Dragons are so generic and widespread in fantasy everything that it's easy to come up with anything for them and have it fit, even with Dragoner abilities still around. Meanwhile Hydras have something of the opposite problem since they're far less common for inspiration, they "have" to have tri-directional abilities to take advantage of their sprite and at the same time they almost mandate being better versions of Dragons because of it; the latter is part of the reason why they too are no longer a normal monster for me.

Good luck.

It was a gift, its costed about 75,50 US$ (brazilian taxes are high as fuck), at least i wanted to make it worth since my friend really got me a very expensive game. And by not liking the characters i meant their lore and development, not appearece. So it was a 6/10 for me, It wasnt horrible to play but wasnt that good either, so being average enough got me into finishing it just for the glory of not having to play it again. Not saying i regret playing it, i regret that it wasnt a good ff like the classics or at least like or X-2 which i didnt like that much aswell but definitively more tthan XIII

Oh, so the old "gift guilt" thing. Say no more.

Interesting to know you're Brazilian. I wouldn't have guessed considering you type English better than most of my fellow Americans.
    « Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 10:19:33 PM by The Damned »

Mediator
    • View Profile
    • [September 20, 2014, 04:11:10 AM]
    « Reply #16 on: September 20, 2014, 04:11:10 AM »
    (Originally I was going to not using spoilers since I thought this shouldn't be that long despite there already being 42 entries. Clearly, I was delusional.)

Given how I've clogged up your other threads though, I figure using spoilers would at least be a consistent form of a problem, sort of like SAD. I also figure I'll make a spoiler for generic monsters as whole too, so there's that:

All that aside, I can't really say much to help with Dragons or Hydras unfortunately should you actually need help in that department. I imagine you're having opposite problems with them, though. Dragons are so generic and widespread in fantasy everything that it's easy to come up with anything for them and have it fit, even with Dragoner abilities still around. Meanwhile Hydras have something of the opposite problem since they're far less common for inspiration, they "have" to have tri-directional abilities to take advantage of their sprite and at the same time they almost mandate being better versions of Dragons because of it; the latter is part of the reason why they too are no longer a normal monster for me.

Good luck.

Oh, so the old "gift guilt" thing. Say no more.

Interesting to know you're Brazilian. I wouldn't have guessed considering you type English better than most of my fellow Americans.

Now that I actually have time to reply to your post, I shall!

Generic Monsters:

Chocobos:

Goblins:

Bombs:

Panthers:

Piscodaemons:

Skeletons:

Ghosts:

Lamias:

Aevises:

Tonberries:

Adamantoises:

Werewolves:

Flans:

Unreliable as a Mime.
    • View Profile
    • [October 15, 2014, 09:37:39 PM]
    « Reply #17 on: October 15, 2014, 09:37:39 PM »
    Like I said before, I don't mind waiting given how long my posts tend to be, especially now that I've made you wait such a while:

I'm not sure what Darksteels are, but I figure there's no point in asking if it's not a generic monster.

Any luck with thinking about generic Dragons or Hydras yet?

P.S. For some reason I keep thinking that Archeoaevis was named Jura Aevis. That's what I was rambling about in the first thing under Aevises that you replied to in my last post.
    « Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 10:44:20 PM by The Damned »

Mediator
    • View Profile
    • [November 10, 2014, 05:08:53 AM]
    « Reply #18 on: November 10, 2014, 05:08:53 AM »
    Darksteels are just the genus name for Adamantoises.

Pages: [1]