Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Aqueous [Posts: 77]
  • View Profile
  • [April 08, 2015, 06:26:16 PM]
Re: Has anyone managed to create a functioning Jump Ability?
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2015, 06:26:16 PM »
Hunh. I wasn't aware this even existed.

Pride, would it be possible to tie this functionality to a Movement instead of a Support? Or does it absolutely have to be a Support like how Jump still has to exist as a "dummy" skill set for this to draw from even if Jump is no longer the Lancer's primary?

Also, since the skill set is something isn't normally learn-able--if we having the Jump skill set be Izlude's original one--I have to ask if the Jump capacity just naturally maxes out to whatever the highest ability in set is, i.e. getting a Jump with range 8 and vertical 8 because that's naturally what's in Izlude's set.

Regardless, (belated) good job, as always.

Many CPU skillsets come preloaded with abilities learned, in 34 Jump's case both Vert Jump and Level Jump 8 are learned. If you use this with 12 Jump then only the abilities you've learned yourself under that skillset will be available.
Unreliable as a Mime.
The Damned [Posts: 2168]
  • View Profile
  • [April 09, 2015, 12:13:02 AM]
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2015, 12:13:02 AM »
Okay. I figured as much on both points. Good to have confirmation though.

I guess that means I'll use Izlude's skill set, which is totally fine with me. Thanks to you both.

Sweet, now I can give generic Lancer something other than Jump.

"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"
Aqueous [Posts: 77]
  • View Profile
  • [April 15, 2015, 01:04:04 PM]
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2015, 01:04:04 PM »
If you felt that giving a Lancer Lv8 Jump from the start is overpowered, you could also link the new skillset to the 12 Jump skillset using RAD.

So for example, originally I dummied out the old Lancer job, made a copy of it as a new Job and used that as the accessible Lancer job. For that job, I gave it the new skillset and selected "Shares With" as Lancer on RAD. What that meant was when I learned the first skill in the new Lancer skillset (let's spare "Spear Rush" or whatever) it would also learn Level Jump 2 from the 12 Jump skillset set to the dummied out Lancer. That way, you could make it so you still "level up" your Jump skillset.
Unreliable as a Mime.
The Damned [Posts: 2168]
  • View Profile
  • [April 15, 2015, 11:56:52 PM]
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2015, 11:56:52 PM »
Hunh. I see.

For the record, I was just going to get around the problem of "instant" Level Jump 8 by excising it from Jump skill set 34 and having no one actually actively use that set. I'm personally fine with a static Jump range so long as it works.

Thanks for the information though.

"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"
Emmy [Posts: 231]
  • View Profile
  • [May 31, 2016, 07:07:07 AM]
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2016, 07:07:07 AM »
I know this topic is old, but has anyone managed to create a functioning Elemental ability?  I could probably modify this to grant another skillset alongside Elemental, but ideally I'd like to have a formula that I'm not using call an elemental ability so I could just stick one move in a few boss skillsets and such so their secondary skillsets aren't tied with this.  First few attempts to write this formula failed. :( 
May I kill him?
Pride [Posts: 834]
  • View Profile
  • [June 01, 2016, 03:28:02 AM]
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2016, 03:28:02 AM »
What are you trying to do exactly; you want to have one ability to have all the abilities inside of it?

Elemental is determining what ability to use during the action menu phase of selecting a skillset.

• Modding version: PSX
  • Check out my ASM thread. Who doesn't like hax?
    • View Profile
    • [June 01, 2016, 03:57:19 AM]
    « Reply #46 on: June 01, 2016, 03:57:19 AM »
    Updated Wiki with this info.

Yeah, I'm trying to create an ability that does what a fully learned Elemental skillset does - as in, you select the Elemental ability, and it'll choose what ability it calls based off of the land you're standing on.
    May I kill him?
    Pride [Posts: 834]
    • View Profile
    • [June 01, 2016, 04:23:38 AM]
    « Reply #47 on: June 01, 2016, 04:23:38 AM »
    You would have to overwrite the RAM data with a table telling it what to do, overwrite: status call, animation, formula (?), range (?), x/y value, ability ID, etc etc. I would use the above routine as a template for determining what type of ground you're on, then start loading the over the generic "elemental" ability.

Edit: AI may possibly act weird because it wouldn't "know" what ability is being called besides the initial call, you may have to correct the ai routines to alleviate that.

• Modding version: PSX
  • Check out my ASM thread. Who doesn't like hax?
    • View Profile
    • [June 01, 2016, 02:12:54 PM]
    « Reply #48 on: June 01, 2016, 02:12:54 PM »
    Thanks for your replies.  Sorry I have no idea how to do all of that. :(  (kinda new to asm compared to you guys here)

Didn't think it would be this involved, Guess I'll go back to it another time.
    • View Profile
    • [April 12, 2017, 04:31:57 PM]
    « Reply #49 on: April 12, 2017, 04:31:57 PM »
    I know this is kind of late to the discussion, but I managed to edit this code to not require a r/s/m slot.  This is useful if you want to turn 0x12 into an actual skillset, still have jump, and not tie up a blank r/s/m slot for its use. Posting it here in case of a new user searching for this info.

Also managed to change Geomancy to do what I was asking about in this topic a while ago (using a single formula instead of multiple ability slots/a skillset).  I included both the standard (calculated from attacker slot) and reverse (calculated from target slot) versions, along with all other required code.  This code is long/can use some improvement, but here we go:

Vanya [Posts: 3958]
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
    • [April 19, 2017, 04:12:17 AM]
    « Reply #50 on: April 19, 2017, 04:12:17 AM »
    That modification to the Jump patch is exactly what I always wanted.
    My pipe dream also extended to having something similar with Throw and Charge.
    And just now I had a thought for something similar for Draw Out, but that would additionally involve altering the Draw Out command to only allow the use of the skill(s) associated with your current equipment.

• Modding version: Other/Unknown
  • ¯\(°_0)/¯
    TheSpartanMoose [Posts: 3]
    • View Profile
    • [February 25, 2018, 10:57:10 PM]
    « Reply #51 on: February 25, 2018, 10:57:10 PM »
    Hello,

Quite a bump, but I had a question about Emmy's formula.  Whenever I upload the .xml into FFTOrgASM I get a message that it loaded incorrectly.  I've tried making new .xmls with the code wondering if maybe I pasted it wrong but I'm getting the same message.  This hasn't happened with any other .xmls I've added to FFTOrgASM.  I'm using version 0.492.  Thanks in advance for any help!
    deus-misereatur [Posts: 13]
    • View Profile
    • [March 26, 2018, 11:19:11 AM]
    « Reply #52 on: March 26, 2018, 11:19:11 AM »
    Is it possible to have Pride's original patch to be extended to two abilities instead of just one - one that accounts for both Jump and Throw?

EDITED: English
    « Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 05:14:36 PM by deus-misereatur »
    Timbo [Posts: 526]
    • View Profile
    • [March 26, 2018, 03:58:20 PM]
    « Reply #53 on: March 26, 2018, 03:58:20 PM »
    I know this is kind of late to the discussion, but I managed to edit this code to not require a r/s/m slot.  This is useful if you want to turn 0x12 into an actual skillset, still have jump, and not tie up a blank r/s/m slot for its use. Posting it here in case of a new user searching for this info.

Also managed to change Geomancy to do what I was asking about in this topic a while ago (using a single formula instead of multiple ability slots/a skillset).  I included both the standard (calculated from attacker slot) and reverse (calculated from target slot) versions, along with all other required code.  This code is long/can use some improvement, but here we go:

Emmy, this is Amazing. The Jump thing is super effing cool! Now all this needs is an ASM that makes Jump distance equal a character's Jump (movement) attribute. I swear there's probably already an one lurking around here somewhere. *Note, I'm not actually asking for this. You've done enough already.

Personally, I think the Geomancy/Reverse Geomancy thing is even cooler. I don't see a table linking tile type to spell effect though. My ASM knowledge while better is still pretty limited. I'm guessing that each ability with one of these formula can only have one graphic associated with it, am I right or am I blind? How difficult would it be to link a graphical effect and possibly ability name to each kind of tile to properly mimic geomancy? *Again, I'm not trying to beg here. I'm just legitimately curious and impressed.
    Pages: 1 2 [3]