Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
PW 2.0: What's In Store  (Read 5102 times)
Pages: [1] 2
Mediator
Eternal [Posts: 3050]
  • View Profile
  • [October 10, 2013, 06:29:17 AM]
PW 2.0: What's In Store
« on: October 10, 2013, 06:29:17 AM »
So for the crowds of you who are still following this (read: you two people out there), PW 2.0 is well underway. I have a lot of fun new things planned.

1) New Move-Find Item Rewards

The great Treasure Hunt is something that you completionists will hate me for. Each map has (as talked about previously) a Treasure Idol- one of which is found in every map (except for Gariland). Collect them all and either keep them to show off, or sell them for high amounts of Gil, which is still very limited in PW. Also introducing Secret Logs. There are 13 to be found (all findable via Move-Find Item). These items don't sell for anything, but reading them will give you a great bit of insight on a FFT character that isn't talked about much. I'm hoping you all will find them and read them!

2) New Jobs

I've (finally) decided on a set of jobs I'm happy with. Many jobs from PW are returning, such as Scholar, Berserker, Necromancer, and Harbinger. However, a great many jobs have been replaced and given new coats of paint. Joining the PW job tree is the Ranger job, which, well... I'll get to that next. There's also the Judicer job, Seer job, Chronomancer job, etc. I'll go into further detail on those all in a bit.

3) Revamped Item System

Unlike PW 1.0 where you could unlock a ton of equipment at once and mix-and-match as you pleased, PW 2.0 is a more linear item progression system, akin to Vanilla FFT. However, unlike FFT, the new items are fun to use and have some cool gimmicks. Staves, for example, deal no damage but instead inflict a buff 100% of the time. Knives are prone to inflict debuffs, etc. Unlike Vanilla, equipment is more varied and is just generally more interesting to use. And yes, each one will have an interesting Sage Knowledge entry to read.

4) Speaking of Items...

Useable Items (such as Potion and Phoenix Down) are dead. Now, before you riot, this is where the Ranger job comes in. The Ranger is a ranged (obviously) unit, capable of using Longbows, Crossbows, and Guns. They have Innate: Poach and Treasure Hunt. What's so special about them? They're basically the new Chemist replacement. Their skillset revolves around foraging for herbs on the ground and making their own items to use on the party. What does this boil down to in terms of gameplay? Basically, Rangers can use (formerly) Items without having to actually buy Items. Instead, all they have to suffer is a short CT to use them. Gil can still be acquired by selling Denamda, coins which are won after battle. Additionally, the new Juggler job can Throw these for heavy damage to the enemy.

5) What's With the New Jobs?

6) Events

New events are still going to be added, and I have a much clearer vision now of the things I want to add. My intention is to add events that allow you to briefly play as previously unplayable characters, and events that chronicle things that were previously unresolved in FFT. PW 2.0 will be less about adding new characters and plotlines, and will focus more on building upon what was already there in FFT to begin with.

So yes, people, I've been working hard on PW and hope to have some screenshots of the new jobs and items up fairly soon. PW 2.0 should be more balanced, less buggy, and more fun than PW 1.0. It won't be half as fancy as Jot5 or CoP, but I'm hoping you all will enjoy it as a refreshing way to play Vanilla. :)

"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
TigerBlade [Posts: 12]
  • View Profile
  • [October 10, 2013, 03:33:07 PM]
Re: PW 2.0: What's In Store
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 03:33:07 PM »
Awesome!  Looking forward to it.
Suikoden Fanboy
kyozo22 [Posts: 106]
  • View Profile
  • http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198121779551/
  • [October 10, 2013, 04:06:11 PM]
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 04:06:11 PM »
Yeah man, sounds really good. Can't wait for release! Looking forward to it.
Lady Ladile [Posts: 37]
  • View Profile
  • [October 15, 2013, 06:35:27 AM]
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 06:35:27 AM »
You can do it~!  Now, to go play PW 1.0 >.>  *scurries*
Mediator
  • View Profile
  • [October 18, 2013, 06:30:18 AM]
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 06:30:18 AM »
Some more things that you can look forward to that I worked on today:

-Reviving units with 0 HP with the Necromancy spell. Again. Necromancy was such a fun bug that I decided to keep it around. The animation is Bolt's, which means you're effectively raising a zombie unit with unholy lightning. Enjoy!

-Throw Meteor is making a huge comeback.

"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
Selius [Posts: 37]
  • View Profile
  • [October 27, 2013, 02:55:14 AM]
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2013, 02:55:14 AM »

posting to let you know there's three people waiting for this *wink*
Mediator
  • View Profile
  • [October 27, 2013, 03:35:04 AM]
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2013, 03:35:04 AM »
Glad to see people are interested!

As far as special characters go, I think people will enjoy Worker 8 and Reis a lot more in PW 2.0. Their skillsets are direct references to two different games, both of which will be fairly obvious in hindsight. Let's just say that Reis is the one Shouting now, not Ramza...

• View Profile
  • [October 29, 2013, 03:37:23 PM]
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2013, 03:37:23 PM »
it took me a little while to remember this, but: i  remember having to turn everybody into berserkers and level them like that since the berserker job had the best growth in everything but mp.

that was actually kind of fun. i will say i don't actually like the loss of the always berserk status though i'm probably the only one lol
Lady Ladile [Posts: 37]
  • View Profile
  • [October 29, 2013, 11:21:55 PM]
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2013, 11:21:55 PM »
Actually, there are now four people waiting...  ;)
Rising from a long sleep...
Joseph Strife [Posts: 580]
  • View Profile
  • [October 29, 2013, 11:37:04 PM]
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2013, 11:37:04 PM »
no need to say how i feel about PW! That sure is great news. Way to go Eternal!
And of course, if you need any help with playtesting or event editing i am here to help. (altough i just started doing it.) :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 11:44:36 PM by Joseph Strife »
Gaffgarion: It's in the contract!
Ramza: Does your contract says: "When you find a former squire, that now is a Holy knight that has kidnapped a princess, in a bridge by a waterfall fighting a brigade you are supposed to kill everybody that helps him!"
Gaffgarion: ... Sure!
Ramza: ... Let me see your contract...
Gaffgarion: ... No...

• View Profile
  • [December 25, 2013, 03:47:41 PM]
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2013, 03:47:41 PM »
Merry Christmas.

this topic has not been posted in for 45 days so apparently im necroposting LAWL

Seasons Greetings, regardless.

... and hurry up already. I wanna play this :)
The Puppet ---Master---
Elric (Overseer) [Posts: 3907]
  • View Profile
  • Youtube Channel
  • http://steamcommunity.com/id/Bones42
  • [December 25, 2013, 10:51:17 PM]
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2013, 10:51:17 PM »
LOL!!

• Modding version: PSX
  • <@Angel> Teach a man to fish and he'll open up a fishery to compete against yours.
    Journey of the Five Youtube ChannelThe Lion War Current Status

Jot5 Leader :: Eventer :: OtherTLW Leader :: Eventer :: Other
    TigerBlade [Posts: 12]
    • View Profile
    • [May 06, 2014, 11:08:10 PM]
    « Reply #12 on: May 06, 2014, 11:08:10 PM »
    ... and hurry up already. I wanna play this :)

I'll second that :)
    Scoops [Posts: 2]
    • View Profile
    • [May 10, 2014, 02:26:02 AM]
    « Reply #13 on: May 10, 2014, 02:26:02 AM »
    This whole project just sounds gorgeous. I literally can't wait.
    Mediator
    • View Profile
    • [May 10, 2014, 02:47:41 AM]
    « Reply #14 on: May 10, 2014, 02:47:41 AM »
    Progress is still being made, albeit slowly. I work a lot during the week and have a ton of volunteer work that I do, but I'm still making progress with basic stuff in PW, like ENTDs and items/abilities. Glad to see people other than me still care! :P

Scoops [Posts: 2]
    • View Profile
    • [May 24, 2014, 06:32:28 AM]
    « Reply #15 on: May 24, 2014, 06:32:28 AM »
    I'm just glad you still care. After all, you're the one making the really cool patch. Also, it doesn't matter if it's going slowly just as long as it is done well.  :D
    Laktuk [Posts: 6]
    • View Profile
    • [June 15, 2014, 04:52:31 PM]
    « Reply #16 on: June 15, 2014, 04:52:31 PM »
    If you need a tester, i'm your guy, literally dying to play this.
    Mediator
    • View Profile
    • [July 20, 2014, 05:02:41 AM]
    « Reply #17 on: July 20, 2014, 05:02:41 AM »
    For those wondering, I've been blasted lately by inspiration for PW 2.0. I'm coming up with some solid concepts for some of the new characters, as well as some potential new scenarios/battles/scenes to create.

Some potential thoughts flowing through my head:

-Ramza's escape from Murond Death City.

-The general concept of vengeance, and the feeling of helplessness to extract said vengeance.

-The fear of death.

I'm writing up some quick notes about how the new scenarios and characters would fit into FFT's diverse and well-written universe, and I already have a few ideas that will be being carried over from PW 1.0. I already know what jobs will be featured in PW 2.0, as well as items/accessories/etc.

I've learnt a lot since first starting this project, and though FFTA is my primary focus these days, that project is coming to a close soon, which is why I've been thinking a lot more about PW lately. I appreciate everyone's patience and I look forward to continuing on with this dream. :)

Mediator
    • View Profile
    • [October 17, 2014, 06:21:54 AM]
    « Reply #18 on: October 17, 2014, 06:21:54 AM »
    Some minor other things to look forward to:

-Legacy Units: Every generic male unit name has been changed. The names added to the pool are all characters from the FF series, Vagrant Story, Tactics Ogre PSP, or- very rarely- the Kingdom Hearts series. This could lead to some fun player-enforced challenges, such as rolling a starting team and having to play to that character's theme. Naturally, if you dislike the new names, they can be changed at a Soldier Office. Many female and monster names have also been changed, but since there aren't quite as many named female characters in video games as there are males (sadly), there are still some Vanilla names left for women and monsters.

-Sage Knowledge Entries: Yes, they're still coming back! Undecided on what to put in them, exactly, but I'm thinking that each Sage Knowledge will give you hints about where Treasure Hunt items are. And, if that is the case, it means I'll be moving around items to new Move-Find locations~

-Cutscene Speed Up per Xif's ASM hack.

-Purchasable Units at Soldier Office per Xif's ASM hack.

Progress is still moving smoothly!~

• View Profile
    • [October 17, 2014, 03:21:10 PM]
    « Reply #19 on: October 17, 2014, 03:21:10 PM »
    i look forward to slaying the vaans, hopes, zells, and wakkas of the world.. in as brutal a matter as possible.
    Pages: [1] 2