Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Dokurider's Custom AoEs  (Read 10611 times)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
French Maid
Xifanie (Webmistress) [Posts: 4259]
  • View Profile
  • Final Fantasy Hacktics
  • http://steamcommunity.com/id/Xifanie
  • [June 04, 2014, 10:53:14 PM]
Re: Dokurider's Custom AoEs
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2014, 10:53:14 PM »
Doing a simple hex search flipping the bytes of the errors, I was able to easily deduct that you are branching to 0x80158748, which seems to be kanji space, but wasn't overwritten with your code.
Your code writes more to like... 0x8014F568

And really, I've made many many hacks if you didn't notice. If you want things to work, you have to make sure everything on your end first, which I doubt you did.

This whole thing is also stuff that I could never hope to understand.

• Only a few mod makers will actually use your hack
  • Even fewer will actually want to test it
  • Even fewer will report bugs

Welcome to ASM hacking.

Also congrats, I ran your .xml through my MIPS analyzer, which detects most (but not all) console freezing bugs, and it returned 0 errors. \o/
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 11:46:44 PM by Xifanie »
    • Modding version: PSX
  • <R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
    <Raijinili> remember that? it was awful
    Internet Cool
    Dokurider [Posts: 2806]
    • View Profile
    • http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198023738783/
    • [June 05, 2014, 01:35:58 AM]
    « Reply #41 on: June 05, 2014, 01:35:58 AM »
    Except it is working on my end, flawlessly. I'm looking at my game running it right now (posting from a phone; can't see images btw) with zero errors whatsoever. I just don't understand why Celdia is getting errors running the exact same code I uploaded this morning (which I tested before heading out to the computer lab) that is now running right in front of me with no issues. I Just don't know, bra, but I'm doing everything I can think of to troubleshoot.
    Choto [Posts: 818]
    • View Profile
    • [June 05, 2014, 02:38:32 AM]
    « Reply #42 on: June 05, 2014, 02:38:32 AM »
    savestate --> step through it with a debugger to see what command its crashing at. It's pretty much the quickest way to figure out why and where something's crashing.

Celdia, I'm assuming you tried the hack by itself to rule out a conflict right?
    « Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 02:51:15 AM by Choto »
    Queen of Palemoon
    Celdia [Posts: 1638]
    • View Profile
    • http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198029710324/
    • [June 05, 2014, 04:34:13 AM]
    « Reply #43 on: June 05, 2014, 04:34:13 AM »
    The hack by itself has some interesting effects:

- Normal attacks are unaffected.
     - Skills, for the most part seem unaffected.
     - Queklain attempting to act crashes the game, sending it into a loop of errors that I didn't bother to screenshot.
     - Dance and Sing do literally nothing. They show no active targets when selected and they play no animation I assume because they aren't going to hit anyone. Amusingly, the Dancing unit does stop dancing long enough to punch at empty air while the Singing unit just continues his normal singing animation throughout.

Again, this is applying the Cone AoE Final2 hack and nothing else. Without modifying anything with FFTP in some fashion though, I don't have any way to really test the conic AoE. I'm going to try modifying Ramza at ENTD 0183 as suggested and starting a new game to see what effect that has, if any. Will edit this post with results.

EDIT: Doku, this is the weirdest hack, ever. And I use ALMA, ffs.

So, modifying Ramza and starting a new game [I decided to actually modify his Ch2 Squire skillset instead of the ENTD itself,] this hack works seemingly as-expected. I used Wave Around since that was your test skill initially, set for 3/131/1 and it gave me no problems at all. Some of the potential AoEs possible from selecting different tiles was interesting, so I looked deeper and tried my original idea. I chose a different skill [Head Break] and gave it 5/133/3 which resulted in more interesting changes. The targeting worked fine for the first 3 tiles out from Ramza, forming a 5-tile cone originating from the selected tile. But selecting the 4th and 5th tiles out caused the AoE to start from Ramza and spread to end of the map. On Orbonne, this results in a total AoE of Cone-8. Which, by the way, also works. I tried some more modifications and then I went to apply a change to the skill name I'd been working with to use for a quick demo video...and when Gaffy tried to move I got this:

I don't even know. So I started over from scratch, applied just Cone Final2 and my Patcher changes and it went back to functioning fine. Even tested my old .fftp for its changes and had no problems. It's looking like my changes in Tactext may have been the culprit after all this which while making me look like the fool still possibly reveals a different problem with the hack.

Pre-Edit: Just applied the Tactext change again, which is literally ONE skill name being lengthened, and it crashes. So, I've located the source of the error in my case. But if this hack can't be used with any text changes, I don't see it going too far. I'll keep checking in here for updates though.
    Choto [Posts: 818]
    • View Profile
    • [June 05, 2014, 04:32:53 PM]
    « Reply #44 on: June 05, 2014, 04:32:53 PM »
    The gaffy thing sounds like an AI issue. Try setting Rama to auto battle. They do some calculations to find max and min range attacks
    Internet Cool
    • View Profile
    • [June 05, 2014, 08:21:12 PM]
    « Reply #45 on: June 05, 2014, 08:21:12 PM »
    FFTactext
    Oh of course. FFTactext overwrites text space, and this hack is saved in, wait for it, text space, albeit space that isn't supposed to be used in the NTSC-U, Kanji Space. Did you apply FFTactext before you patched, or after and what skill did you change?

used Wave Around since that was your test skill initially, set for 3/131/1 and it gave me no problems at all. Some of the potential AoEs possible from selecting different tiles was interesting, so I looked deeper and tried my original idea. I chose a different skill [Head Break] and gave it 5/133/3 which resulted in more interesting changes. The targeting worked fine for the first 3 tiles out from Ramza, forming a 5-tile cone originating from the selected tile. But selecting the 4th and 5th tiles out caused the AoE to start from Ramza and spread to end of the map. On Orbonne, this results in a total AoE of Cone-8. Which, by the way, also works.

That is actually the result of an oversight. I've known about it for a while now and I'm going to fix it next version. I foolishly tied the border logic to the Caster, which causes it to resize to where the caster is, which was okay initially because I was only using it in conjunction with 1 Range. But by using massive Ranges, this flaw becomes pretty obvious, especially if you're halfway across the map.

Dance and Sing do literally nothing. They show no active targets when selected and they play no animation I assume because they aren't going to hit anyone. Amusingly, the Dancing unit does stop dancing long enough to punch at empty air while the Singing unit just continues his normal singing animation throughout.
    Also makes sense. Dance and Sing's abilities are at 255 AoE, which the hack interprets as "Cone AoE". Cone AoE doesn't work if you have 0 Range, or if you don't select a target, thus, no AoE. In order to have Dance/Sing (and Galaxy Stop) work normally, just set it to 0x0f or 15 AoE.

This report is pretty grim. Worst case scenario is that Kanji Space is being used by the various events and yet unknown to me arcane functions and code (god help me if it's pointer data) in the game, meaning I may not be able to have it there. I might just have to find some other space to place this hack. As of now, this hack requires 0xEF lines of code, and the next update is only going to expand on that and I only know of two routines I can write over. The best I can do in the meantime is to press on and just finish the code and hope one day I can find enough space to fit it into the game. I'm still looking at and documenting code for other hacks I want to develop, so prospect of that happening isn't impossible and can even happen sooner rather than later.

In any case, I thank you for your time and patience, Celdia, Choto, Xifanie, Elric, and yes, even you, Jack of All Trades.

EDIT: Doku, this is the weirdest hack, ever. And I use ALMA, ffs.
    lol.
    It may end up not as weird anymore if the Unknown Flags of Ability Flags 1 can be verified as being truly and utterly useless/nonfunctioning. Then I can just use those and drop the whole AoE as a flag thing.
    Queen of Palemoon
    Celdia [Posts: 1638]
    • View Profile
    • http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198029710324/
    • [June 06, 2014, 02:24:00 AM]
    « Reply #46 on: June 06, 2014, 02:24:00 AM »
    Ha! Order of operations! Of course!

By patching Cone Final2 last, my text changes are still applied and the hack works fine. So at least this can be used without crashing things so long as that is accounted for. I don't know why I didn't think about this before, especially with me running into a very similar problem testing something else recently. -_-;;
    Glain [Posts: 448]
    • View Profile
    • [June 06, 2014, 04:22:15 AM]
    « Reply #47 on: June 06, 2014, 04:22:15 AM »
    There's still something weird about this, isn't there?  If you have to patch one first, then the other, that would imply that something is being overwritten.  I don't recall Tactext normally patching over kanji space...

Does kanji space really start all the way back at 0x0014f334 RAM?  That's too far back to even be in the allocated space.
    French Maid
    • View Profile
    • Final Fantasy Hacktics
    • [June 06, 2014, 08:26:20 AM]
    « Reply #48 on: June 06, 2014, 08:26:20 AM »
    Glain's got a point there.

http://ffhacktics.com/wiki/Font

Characters STARTS at 0x000E92AC BATTLE.BIN / 0x8014E614 Memory
    "Kanji" (still hiragana) starts at 0x000E9284 BATTLE.BIN / 0x80150284 Memory

Very important things to know:
    - Never EVER overwrite single byte characters, They're used by tactext to combine characters for better compression. Like "th" being a one byte character.
    - Early Kanji space is used by my hacks. http://ffhacktics.com/wiki/Allocated_space

You're currently overwriting starting from character 0x60.
    So yeah, tactext breaking your hack isn't surprising at all.

Internet Cool
    • View Profile
    • [June 06, 2014, 07:20:08 PM]
    « Reply #49 on: June 06, 2014, 07:20:08 PM »
    I see. I shall start work this weekend.
    LastingDawn [Posts: 3452]
    • View Profile
    • [June 07, 2014, 09:59:28 PM]
    « Reply #50 on: June 07, 2014, 09:59:28 PM »
    Great work on figuring out a lot more about the range Dokurider! By chance were you looking into "Weapon Cast" AoE's at all? Or is that pretty much hardcoded to be a single target no matter what?

"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
    sadness can be turned to delight.
    A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
    the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!
    Internet Cool
    • View Profile
    • [June 13, 2014, 02:41:30 AM]
    « Reply #51 on: June 13, 2014, 02:41:30 AM »
    Great work on figuring out a lot more about the range Dokurider! By chance were you looking into "Weapon Cast" AoE's at all? Or is that pretty much hardcoded to be a single target no matter what?
    Weapon cast? You mean like procs? Or getting AoE out of Weapon Range? Because if it's the latter, then yeah, it is hardcoded as single target only. I will look into it, but right now my hands are full with this hack.
    Speaking of:

I don't really understand why Kanji Space Nopper NOPs 0x14f334 or character 0x60 if it's going to cause tactext trouble. Or where they never meant to be compatible to begin with?
    French Maid
    • View Profile
    • Final Fantasy Hacktics
    • [June 13, 2014, 03:49:16 AM]
    « Reply #52 on: June 13, 2014, 03:49:16 AM »
    whoo~ Raven blaming time, my favourite time of the day \o/

Internet Cool
    • View Profile
    • [December 21, 2016, 09:33:38 PM]
    « Reply #54 on: December 21, 2016, 09:33:38 PM »
    k, I'm back

I'll add pictures later on.

Cone AoE (v2)
    Version 1.09
    Creates Cone AoE. Enable this on any skill by flagging both Linear and Tri Direction AoE flags. Uses Kanji Space. Uses lines 0x1557fc - 0x155b04. 194 Lines. Does not work with Direct/Stop at Obstacle or Weapon Range, as neither does Linear/Tri AoE. Does not work with Auto Target, so give it a non-zero range. Don't even think about targeting yourselves, you derps. Designed to emulate Linear/Tri's behaviors including being dependent on the caster panel to be generated.

"Arcing" AoE and Range
    Version 1.1
    Feeds AoE/Range generation through the Arc Range Routine (001798b0), creating an AoE/Range that gains size from height/2
    Uses Ability Flags 1 Unknown Flags 0x80 and 0x40.
    Removes and overwrites the coding otherwise attached to the Unknown Ability Flags (0017a6dc) known so far. Does not use Kanji Space.
    0x80 - Arcing AoE
    0x40 - Arcing Range

Reenables Unknown Flags 1 and 2
    Speaking of the Unknown Ability Flags, this hack restores their functionality that was deliberately disabled by Square. Enables you to target any ally or any enemy on the map.
    No notes because there really isn't much to it. It's literally a single line.

Weapon Range now accepts AoE
    Version -1.0
    I'm releasing this against my better judgement. Enables the use of Weapon Ranged AoE. It might also enable Direct/Stop at Obstacle AoE as well. Won't crash your game, but it's interactions with AoE might cause your brain to crash if I'm reading the Weapon Strike/Direct routines correctly. Still current doing research on the matter, but feel free to be a guinea pig.

Clear Yellow Panels not occupied by a unit.
    Version 2.0
    Overwrites Morbol AoE Depth Routine. Takes the 255 AoE check and modifies it to target only tiles with units in them. Good for Random Fire Skills. Saves Ability ID to unused lines for future Ability ID hardcoding. Enable this on an ability by flagging it as a Math Skill.

Enable Attacks on Yourself (Strike/Lunge Weapon)
    Version 0.0
    Allows units to target themselves with Attack. Only works with Strike/Lunge flagged Weapons.

Caster is always apart of AoE
    Version -1.0
    Removes the code from Unknown Flag 1 and 2 (0x80 and 0x40) of Ability Flags 1. This hack makes it so an ability will always target (make a yellow square under) the caster in addition to the targeted panel or panels. Enable this property with Unknown Flag 1. Unknown Flag 2 is non-functional. I can also upload an alternate version that checks for Ability IDs instead if requested.

F_MA Damage formula accepts Weapon Elemental (for one ability)
    Version -1.2
    Faith Magical Damage Formula accepts Weapon Elemental when ability ID = 165(Currently Maelstrom in Arena).

As always, the XMLs are attached to this post and notes are provided in spoilers above. Make sure you are using the latest version of FFTPatcher, or at least 489 or later. Let me know if you find any bugs, contacting me through this site or finding me on Steam.

EDIT: Thanks Firefox for crashing and wiping out my message, I'm switching back to Opera after this.
    « Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 09:50:51 PM by Dokurider »
    Event Kid, Mr. Peanut
    Jumza [Posts: 1515]
    • View Profile
    • [December 21, 2016, 11:47:39 PM]
    « Reply #55 on: December 21, 2016, 11:47:39 PM »
    :o Awesome stuff! Glad you released it all, I was so excited after I saw your videos :)

• Check out my project ~ FFT: A Stone's Ripple : http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=10857.0
    The demo was just released! Come check it out!
    Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
    Internet Cool
    • View Profile
    • [December 22, 2016, 03:32:59 AM]
    « Reply #56 on: December 22, 2016, 03:32:59 AM »
    I just confirmed that the AI will hit itself with it's own weapon, (if it's allowed to) if it heals them.
    Internet Cool
    • View Profile
    • [January 14, 2017, 08:42:32 PM]
    « Reply #57 on: January 14, 2017, 08:42:32 PM »
    AI Two Swords Range Fix

If your patch uses Two Swordable weapons of differing ranges, then you want this hack. Current in Vanilla, the AI will overwrite the top weapon range with the bottom weapon range. Not a problem at all in Vanilla, but is a problem if your weapon on the top hand is longer than the one in the bottom hand.
    What you'll end up seeing, if you are using a ranged weapon with a melee weapon, is that the AI will think their range is that of the bottom weapon range and attempt to get in range and move right next to the guy, realize they aren't in range anymore, and are forced to find a target they can attack instead or use an ability.

This hack swaps the top and bottom weapon processing order around so that the bottom range is overwritten by the top weapon range, thus knowing the correct attack range.

Not much to it, really. With this hack you can make whatever weapon Two Swordable to your heart's content and the AI will use it correctly provided you are putting the range most weapon in your top hand.
    Internet Cool
    • View Profile
    • [March 01, 2017, 03:53:45 AM]
    « Reply #58 on: March 01, 2017, 03:53:45 AM »
    New Movement: Range + 2

Replaces Jump + 3. This movement skill will increase the range (red squares) of any ability provided:

• The Ability ID is less than 0x0170. This excludes Jump, Throw and Item.
    • The Ability is not using Weapon Range, so it does not increase the range of Attack, Charge or anything of the sort.
    • The Ability's range is 2 or greater.

This ability will not overflow. At 254 Range, it will add +1 Range instead and at 255 Range, it will do nothing.

The AI is aware of this change and should expand their target acquisitioning accordingly.

Oh and this hack does not come with any text changes. You have to do that yourselves.

Known Bugs: The game will still display Jump + 3 adding Jump while being selected to be added to a unit in the Formation Screen. The Unit Data Screen however wiil still correctly display that Jump + 3 did not add any Jump at all once added to the unit. It has no mechanical impact on the game.
    lol idk where display code is.

As always, let me know if you find anything glitches or bugs.
    Internet Cool
    • View Profile
    • [March 09, 2017, 01:31:39 AM]
    « Reply #59 on: March 09, 2017, 01:31:39 AM »
    So I just finished uploading every AI routine I've documented so far. Some are okay, but many of them are from my early research and thus are spotty and lacking in understanding like some of the later works. However, know this: I am no where near done working not just on AI research, but on formatting and notes. They will all look something like this when I'm finished.

Anyways, I hope you all take some time to look through what has been uploaded and I hope they help you all in your endeavors. As always, feel free to drop me any questions or concerns. Thank you.
    Pages: 1 2 [3] 4