Current News:Recruiting to Fill Positions
Twinees, Pokey, and myself have been bouncing around ideas for a couple weeks now and we have developed the basic concept for the patch to the point that we are ready to bring more people on board. Specifically we are looking for a writer
and an event editor
. To fill these positions, since there has been quite a lot of interest, we are holding what will essentially be tryouts. This is mostly to have people show case their skills and display their interest in the project, and we will not necessarily only be picking one person for these positions. Once again this is a team effort and we will try to find ways to utilize anyone who is interested in contributing.
To start things off I am posting the basic outline of what we are envisioning for the opening scene of this patch. There is the setting and the basic information we want covered within sample lines, but this by no means contains the exact dialog that we are looking for. The task of all those who wish to tryout for the writer position/s is to fill in the script. Once we have a final script for the event drawn together, then tryouts will begin for the event editing position/s creating an event for said script.Guidelines:
1) WotL naming conventions and dialect will be used for FFT characters. Besrudio for example.
2) FFVII characters using the dialects they had from the USA translation of FFVII. This means that Barret sounds like Mr. T. This also means that Cid and Barret should cuss in character, but with appropriate censorship inline with the original FFVII.
3) Characterization is greater than plot. This is essentially a Gaiden adventure involving teleportation, time travel, amnesia, and inter-dimensional travel. The plot is never going to be believable or engrossing, so it is very important that the characters are instead. I would recommend lots of research on the original FFVII crew so that you can keep them in character.
3a) We are looking for a relatively light hearted tone for the overall story. Once again it is ridiculous, so lets make sure to poke fun at it a bit as well.
4) The following outline is relatively rough and does allow for some wriggle room especially in regards to items 1 through 3a. It can't be too much longer, but some good character moments would be appropriate. Also adding any stage cues or actions to help guide later event editing is always great (but don't go overboard).
5) I'm going to put a rough end date on this of two weeks from now of October 12th. This is subject to change and I will always be happy to see what people come up with.
6) All submissions can simply be posted in this thread. If for some reason you are opposed to that, email me at email@example.com
7) If you have any questions are need clarification of this rough outline feel free to post them.Opening Scene OutlineSetting
: Start in the workroom with Barret, Cid, and Besrudio standing around the teleporter thing. They are giving some context as to what is going. Besrudio
: According to Besrudio the teleporter has been showing signs of functioning ever since he first got it, with the greatest example being when the Zodiac stone was present and transported Cloud to the workroom. Barret
: briefly relates his experience of being teleported somewhere within Goug and being found by Besrudio and them making the connection that Barret knew Cloud and that they both had been teleported here. Cid
: makes snarky remarks about how little help Barret was in actually fixing the teleporter and that if he (Cid) hadn't found his way to Goug shortly after they still wouldn't have a clue as to what to do. Action
: Just then the teleporter starts activating and a green materia appears and drops to the floor. Besrudio
: makes a comment that their adjustments to the machine were obviously successful since things are now teleporting directly into the workshop. Barret
: "Unfortunately, everything that has teleported up to this point has presumably been scattered across the continent."Besrudio
: "Yes, there seems to be no pattern in the placement of the few items and materia from your dimension that we have found thus far. A larger exploration of the area may help us determine the radius of the teleporter"
Barret: "I'm more interested in finding the rest of our crew than our supplies. If the two of us and Cloud have made it here already, I going to assume that we all are."Cid
: "Or will arrive, you have to remember that though we seemingly all left our dimension at the same time, we appear to be arriving at different times."Barret
: "Now that the teleporter is depositing our supplies all here though, it is time to go look for our friends right?Cid
: "Yeah that's the plan. Besrudio can safekeep anything or anyone that comes through the teleporter and continue researching a potential way back to our dimension."Besrudio
: "Make sure to check back often for new supplies and information."Cid
: "Where do we start looking though?"Besrudio
: "My last letter from Mustadio mentioned that Cloud was still traveling with he and Ramza. They were travelling from ___ to ___. Though I must remind you that Cloud had no memory of where he came from."Barret
: "Cloud can be a bit peculiar like that, he has had too many people mess with his head over the years. He will come around though, he always does."
Cid: "If I'm learning my Ivalice geography correctly though, that is a rather long ways off."Barret
: "I heard an interesting rumor at the bar today. Apparently a bar maid in Gariland broke up a fight involving a group called the Grog 11, the locals seemed rather impressed."Besrudio
: The Grog 11 is a pretty notorious band of monks.Cid
: Sounds like we have a couple leads then.
If there is one main series FF game that is likely to get a lot of support as a FFT patch project it is FFVII. It is very popular and there are a lot of great sprites for the characters already created. The primary barrier to such a project is that a direct port of FFVII into the gameplay of FFT is pretty unrealistic. The question is then what type of project involving the characters from FFVII in the world and gameplay mechanics of FFT would actually be fun and achievable. I'm starting this thread because there has been a lot of interest in such a project but I have yet to hear any ideas that would meet these expectations. Here are a couple ideas I can think of to get people thinking:
1) Start regular FFT game with all the FFVII crew. Replace Ramza with Cloud or whoever and just have that be your party throughout the entire game. There are of course infinite variations of this idea where you could have various FFFVII characters replace different storyline party members from FFT. Maybe there could even be some event editing to draw parallels between the two stories without actually trying to do a faithful retelling of FFVII's story.
2) New but simple story centered around FFVII. Have all the crew teleported into the Besrodio's work room instead of just Cloud and move on from there. Have a little gaiden adventure with the characters in the FFT world. Sephiroth could stur up some trouble in Ivalice and fun times would ensue.
3) All the FFVII characters as your party and you have to play through a Deep Dungeon sequence of battles. Or some other variation of focusing on gameplay and battles and essentially no story.
What ideas do people have? Even before organizing a team I would be interested if there are even any good ideas out there.