• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:58:18 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Rad: Sprite changes in Mercenaries?

Started by MiKeMiTchi, September 30, 2009, 07:35:12 am

MiKeMiTchi

September 30, 2009, 07:35:12 am Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by MiKeMiTchi
I chatted with Sir LD last week in IRC, and he said it might be better if Rad would have sprite changes throughout chapters, too. Sir LD said that rad should be like a red mage, but without a hat and cape.

Vanya provided the first Rad sprite (which we know).
Here's my attempt at a different Rad sprite.

Anyone can help making Rad concepts. :)
Let's get workin'.
Jot5 GFX Designer :: Spriter :: Mitchi

Luminar

September 30, 2009, 07:40:31 am #1 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Luminar
i was gonna say add a cape 1 chapter then another chapter for hat, lol, maybe a change for armor, shoulders, or boots...

SilvasRuin

September 30, 2009, 08:04:20 am #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SilvasRuin
A scarf kind of fails to really denote anything about him.  I think it should be a gradual change to the traditional look, and I agree that a cape is a good place to start.  In my opinion, he should exchange a certain portion of his armor for the more traditional Red Mage garb.  Cape, clothing and/or padding, and lastly outer armor, maybe?

MiKeMiTchi

September 30, 2009, 08:11:57 am #3 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by MiKeMiTchi
QuoteIn my opinion, he should exchange a certain portion of his armor for the more traditional Red Mage garb.

Haha. Yeah. I don't have ideas for the moment, so I posted this so someone can help with a new concept for rad being a red mage.
Anyone know a different red mage concept?

SilvasRuin

September 30, 2009, 09:12:00 am #4 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SilvasRuin
Most updated version of the original art:
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/final ... f1-psp.gif

Here's a piece of really nice fan art that looks just like the concept:
http://media.photobucket.com/image/red% ... anshee.jpg

There is a trend of the Red Mage outfit being very reminiscent of The Three Musketeers.  Their outfit is always lightweight and allows for great mobility.  There is a protective cloak/cape, and the hat, but you said LD doesn't want the hat or the cape... hm...  I guess have him gradually switch over from the basic plate mail he's wearing over to the lighter clothing and just skip the cloak and hat.  Perhaps one of these getups (but please, no fluffy sleeves or cuffs...):  http://www.zuguide.com/image/Chris-O-Do ... eers.3.jpg
The middle left looks like all it's missing is the cloak and hat, to me.

MiKeMiTchi

September 30, 2009, 09:19:49 am #5 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by MiKeMiTchi
I see. The last image's outfits are worth a try.

Drazael

September 30, 2009, 11:53:18 am #6 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Drazael
That second picture of a Red Mage is awesome.  Really adds to the impression of flambouyancy (spelling?) of the class.  Perhaps if Rad's development reflects this it would be a good idea?  I agree that he should progress towards looking like a proper red mage, though there must be some way of differentiating him as unique?

winshmo

September 30, 2009, 12:30:28 pm #7 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by winshmo
yup no cape but how does a scarf/muffler sound?

Vanya

September 30, 2009, 12:43:27 pm #8 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
I like the one in the first post, but I think he needs new arms.
I think he would look more unique if we didn't add the cape or hat, and instead concentrate on the other parts.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
¯\(°_0)/¯

LastingDawn

September 30, 2009, 12:59:49 pm #9 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Hmm, isn't he wearing a scarf in his first sprite, Winshmo? (Ideally though I wouldn't want him to lose it) Also yes Mike is correct, I don't want him to don the Cape and Hat, it's too distracting, Rad is Supposed to resemble a Red Mage, not play the part, which is what people will assume if he has either of those. Subtlety is key here,also thank you Mike for starting this thread, helps things out a fair bit.
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

Fusso

September 30, 2009, 01:38:00 pm #10 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Fusso
beard

everything gets "awesomner" with a beard

of course, it don't need to be a full kyle katarn
but something like a mutton chop
it should give rad a more threatening appeal

the armor is ok
i think it just would be better to give him a red mage kind of hat

of course, the medieval pimp style of the ff1 could get distracting
but i don't know

why not?
*** END OF MESSAGE ***

Fein

September 30, 2009, 02:16:25 pm #11 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Fein
Well , in what ways would Rad develope? From like a noble-looking fellow into a hardened merc? Or is it just a random change of attire?

LastingDawn

September 30, 2009, 02:27:48 pm #12 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Quote from: "Fusso"beard

everything gets "awesomner" with a beard

of course, it don't need to be a full kyle katarn
but something like a mutton chop
it should give rad a more threatening appeal

the armor is ok
i think it just would be better to give him a red mage kind of hat

of course, the medieval pimp style of the ff1 could get distracting
but i don't know

why not?

No beard, he's 18-20 by game's end. I don't want to give him a hat because people will Automatically say that he's a Red Mage, which is not particularly true. Rad's not a very threatening fellow, he's not supposed to be, for the most part. He's relatively humble and a very "chivalrous" man.

QuoteWell , in what ways would Rad develope? From like a noble-looking fellow into a hardened merc? Or is it just a random change of attire?

He starts as a Mercenary in Mercenaries, he's the Apprentice (class name) of Gafgarion. I can't really give details as to how he develops because it would ruin the plot, the outfit is only to show a closer relation to his final job (which is Red Mage) Ramza's outfits follow a different set of order.

Art of War

Fein

September 30, 2009, 02:41:29 pm #13 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Fein
Quote from: "LastingDawn"He starts as a Mercenary in Mercenaries, he's the Apprentice (class name) of Gafgarion. I can't really give details as to how he develops because it would ruin the plot, the outfit is only to show a closer relation to his final job (which is Red Mage) Ramza's outfits follow a different set of order.

Ah I see, okay then.

Fusso

September 30, 2009, 02:47:18 pm #14 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Fusso
so why don't make him a little more like gafgarion?

the fact is that his face is kind of "standard" right now
of course, gaf's trademark is his mustache, and that is out of question

but that is up to you
maybe something as easy as putting a jack sparrow bandana
*** END OF MESSAGE ***

SilvasRuin

September 30, 2009, 02:48:41 pm #15 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SilvasRuin
How about the current sprite being made the second chapter sprite, the first chapter sprite be the red clothes under his armor, and the third chapter or so could elongate his scarf to mimic a cape without actually being one? The armor would help differentiate him some, and most traditional red mages would have a full blown cape, not a scarf with one end tailing.  I think that would be fairly subtle enough.  That's only three ideas though, and aren't there four chapters...?

mav

September 30, 2009, 04:32:54 pm #16 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by mav
Alright, so the current style is Ch. 1, correct? Give him the cravat by Ch. 2, and start walking away from the armored look. I'd say give him the cape by Ch. 3, but that's out, for whatever reason. Maybe give him longer hair? And by Ch. 4 have him look as close to the Red Mage as humanly possible, without giving him the hat and cape.

Honestly, I say lose the hat, but give him the cape eventually. We don't see too many caped generics, especially in Mercenaries...By the way, can we slowly make him look older or more fierce in the portraits? Like Ramza in Vanilla: he goes from being a cute kid in Ch. 1 to a stoic young man in Ch. 2. All it really takes is some eye modifications and some slight tugs on the hair.

LastingDawn

September 30, 2009, 04:34:33 pm #17 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Indeed you may, that is a very deep and underlying points in Mercenaries is the changes that occur with Rad, so that is very fitting, sure I think we can try the cape. But yes, his current look is Chapter 1.

Art of War

MiKeMiTchi

September 30, 2009, 05:48:46 pm #18 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by MiKeMiTchi
Yeah, giving Rad a cape won't hurt. :)
Winshmo did give Rad a scarf.

Quote from: "mav"can we slowly make him look older or more fierce in the portraits?

I think that is a must. :P

dwib

September 30, 2009, 07:13:37 pm #19 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by dwib
Here's a rough draft of a rad with a cape because it works with the outfit... for some reason everyone wants every character to have a cape (i.e. ramza). This isn't a comic book...