• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 08:36:56 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Red Mage Sprite that I didn't make

Started by Timbo, July 13, 2012, 01:44:44 am

Timbo

I must mention that I'm at best a novice. It's going to take me some time before I can get it fixed. I'll get around to it at some point.
  • Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: Timbo

Jon

Lijj is right, the hat in the portrait needs to be fixed. Its nearly perfect, I think though that the raised part of the hat is following the pointy nose part, i think it shouldn't, it should go straight down, and the white thing should wrap around that part like a scarf. I wonder if this makes any sense...
There ain't no gettin' offa this train we on!

Timbo

Jon

I would show you what I mean but I'm simply terrible at portraits. What I mean is that the hat should look in the portrait more like the hat in the sprite, so it should have a white scarf thing wrapped around the raised middle part and that should be more round...
There ain't no gettin' offa this train we on!

Timbo

That much I understand. Eventually, I'll get to the band but I'll probably not be able to make the hat more round.

Timbo

October 24, 2012, 07:01:35 pm #25 Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 09:18:13 pm by Jack of All Trades
So I finally got around to editing my Red Mage Portrait. I made his face a little thicker, I got rid of his convoluted looking bangs, and I added a band to his hat. I'm currently struggling to get his hair right. Any criticism and advice would be much appreciated.

MiKeMiTchi

I like the changes. Making his face thicker and removing the bangs were a good choice. The red shading on the back on the feather and on the clothes is kinda flat. Also, the neck area should be darker than the chin area.

I took some spare time to edit it. Compare what changes I made from yours and maybe learn from it. This one has 15 colors, so you might want to add 1 more for the white shades. ;)
Jot5 GFX Designer :: Spriter :: Mitchi

jimmyjw88

Here's example of what I did. Haven't got the time to touch up the scarf though.

C & C
Kindly upload the images to other image hosting sites. I can't view imageshack. Thanks.

MiKeMiTchi

I like the hair, and you did a better job on the hat, Jimmy. Falling in love with the angry expression, are we? It looks great on him though.

Eternal

I love the angry expression on him, for what little it's worth. We need more angry sprites. :P
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

Timbo

I personally went for the softer expression for Rad because his canon look is the Squire baby face. However, if enough people want to send Rad to the Angry Dome, I'm happy to comply. I've got to say that both of you guys did a fantastic job. I spent all morning picking through your faces  pixel by pixel decided which of your features I liked the best.

I took Jimmy's hat entirely. There is no way, I'm going to be anywhere near that level. I used Jimmy's hair, but I didn't duplicate it. I free handed something similar. I free handed Mike's shading changes but they are a pixel by pixel duplication (mostly for learning experience.

I'm really glad his hat matches his battle sprite. My new concern are his clothes. His shoulders in the sprite are white. I simply don't have enough colors to work with to differentiate them from the scarf though. I feel like Red is a good compromise. You could say that he has his cape pulled over them or something.

Opinions?

jimmyjw88

October 25, 2012, 02:52:14 pm #31 Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 10:01:30 pm by jimmyjw88
Thanks guys. Here's what I did for the rest, made him less angry. 12 colours if I'm not mistaken.

C & C
Kindly upload the images to other image hosting sites. I can't view imageshack. Thanks.

Kagebunji

Looks great Jimmy. I like your improvements a lot.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Timbo

October 26, 2012, 09:21:00 am #33 Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 09:35:36 am by Jack of All Trades
This looks spectacular Jimmy. Thank you. I updated the original post with the new portrait and battle sprite sheet. This all looks really good now. Do you think we should submit this to the site?

3lric

There was no need to add this at all Neophyte, if it was going to be done it already would be.

Timbo

I can and will absolutely add it to the site so long as the site will accept it. I'll put it up before the week's end.

Timbo

I submitted him today. We'll see if he gets accepted.

MiKeMiTchi

Most likely it will.
You guys did a great job to him, and he certainly looks the best Red Mage around for me. ;)

Lijj

Y'know, the portrait is facing the wrong way.