• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:29:57 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

RandMuadDibs Sprites - Cactite

Started by RandMuadDib, July 05, 2010, 12:44:32 am

RandMuadDib

March 20, 2011, 09:52:29 am #20 Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 02:14:18 am by RandMuadDib
Alright that actually helps a lot i think, especially when i compare them to the original three. Now i kinda know what i have to do to finish those other frames. I appreciate it twinees!

@RavenOfRazgriz: This will be finished. Might take two months (hopefully going to be moving in two weeks) but it will be finished.

Edit: Okay so here's what i've got so far. I've taken out the browns on the hands, removed the needles, used the extra frames from twinees and added the extra back frames that i made myself. I've also added the 'got hit' frames. Please ignore the numbers, they're so i can test stuff and won't be in the final product. Also, for both front and back, 1, 3, and 5 are from the RW sprite, 2 and 4 have been created as filler frames, 3 is the 'standing still' frame, and the sequence is 3,4,5,4,3,2,1,2 (repeat). It would probably be easier to picture/visualize if i used the numbers -2, -1, 0, 1, 2, but i'm too lazy to change them now.
I will show you the power of SARDIIIIINES!!!!

Pride

I'm excited about this sprite btw, keep up the good work ^_^
  • Modding version: PSX
Check out my ASM thread. Who doesn't like hax?

RandMuadDib

March 22, 2011, 03:41:16 pm #22 Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 01:17:27 am by RandMuadDib
Okay i've added jump, heal, and got hit frames. Take a look.

Edit: Added charging frames.

Edit 2: Dodging frames. Last edit for tonight.

Kagebunji

Good job. I don't have any ISO, so I cannot test neither this, or my Hashmal...
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

RandMuadDib

Sad, i'd like to see a new hashmal.

Kagebunji

March 23, 2011, 11:02:40 am #25 Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 11:03:47 am by Kagebunji
My first attempt at gif making. GIMP is stupid and won't allow me to make the image smaller, so I have this big window on... Also, size is fucked, since I didn't think about it sooner. But you got to excuse me, this is my first attempt...

EDIT: Yay, it worked! I am currently working on another gif, so you can see more.

RandMuadDib

March 23, 2011, 05:17:45 pm #26 Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 05:23:42 pm by RandMuadDib
Sweet are you planning on just keeping it a gif or are going to do the full sprite? If you're doing the full sprite id love to use it in my patch the fft hashmal(um) is stupid.

Edit: also going to take a short break on cactite to fix my white knight ramza. I was new when I did that head swap and I can't stand the errors anymore. Gotta get rid of the yellow scarf, fix the hair color to ramzas natural color, and many of the heads need reworking. Especially the eyes that get discolored when he attacks.

Kagebunji

Ditch Ramza, man. We already have tons of those headswaps. I am sure you can find such headswap somewhere anyway. And yeah, I am planning to do a full sheet, but only after I finish Ninja.

RandMuadDib

March 27, 2011, 10:46:55 pm #28 Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 10:49:26 pm by RandMuadDib
Alright so wtf. I tried loading my sprite sheet into shishis, and it got all craptastic. Any idea why?

Using .478 and it only happens with this sprite sheet, no other ones.

RandMuadDib

March 28, 2011, 01:37:02 am #29 Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 03:37:53 pm by RandMuadDib
Double post for teh suck

Yeah its not for the community, though I will prolly submit when I'm done. I really like this sprite (or will when it stops looking like shit) and plan on using it for my ch4 ramza in my patch. Excited for hashmal sheet, looking forward to its completion.

At any rate, i think i figured out... no fixed.. what was going screwy with the sprite sheet. to say i figured it out implies i knew what was wrong, which is not the case, i just tried to fix it and somehow succeeded. I also managed to fix a lot of pixels that were trying to reference the portrait palette instead of the palette they were supposed to be. Take a look and see if anything else needs fixing, my eye is not as keen as many of yours.

Edit: Alright i threw it into tactics to use while checking some work i had done on cactite, and the white is really bright on his shoulder, and that needs to be fixed. Also, apparently the portrait is screwed up too. i know how to fix that as well but i'm lazy and it will take time. In the meantime, here are the critical and dead frames for cactite.

Kagebunji

I had similiar problems with sprites, but when I replaced it again, everything was fixed. Cactice comes up nicely, I can't wait to test it in-game.

RandMuadDib

alright well sorry about the hiatus. Moved a couple of weeks ago and now i finally have internet. Just been so busy. So, once i sludge through all the new posts over the last few weeks i'll get working on this again. good to be back.

RandMuadDib

So i'm kinda stuck on what i want to do for the cactite's attack animation. Obviously he needs some sort of melee attack. Its prolly going to be an sp2 so i can have a needle throwing attack as well. The default attack from revenant wings is just the needle throwing attack. as far as i could find, it didnt have a melee attack.

Does anybody have any suggestions for a melee attack? Should i just do a head butt? or a punch? or a slam attack with both hands coming down from over his head? or something else that i haven't thought of yet?

Kagebunji

Try mimicking the rush attack Pigs are using, simple and best tbh. Rest is all about your creativity.

RandMuadDib

Please correct me if i'm wrong, but which attack frames i need seem to depend on the bytes in the animations tab of the patcher for the attacks i plan to use? Does anyone have a list of the frames used for each animation? that would be incredibly helpful, might even be able to do two full attack animations with an SP1 sprite if each animation only uses some of the frames. I got a few while messing around, like

0A 43 00 use frames 1, 2, 3, and 4, where
0A 47 00 uses frames 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 4

Secondly, i was also trying to consider what effect i'd use for a 1000 needles style attack. I was thinking poison frog might fit best, although even that one is kind of pushing it. Any thoughts?

LastingDawn

That is heavily useful info RandMuadDib... you should record all of that if you have the time, should help people with making their own custom monsters.

As for animations... all that comes to mind is Repeating Fists or Soft.
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

RandMuadDib

Yeah i was afraid of that :/ I suppose i can check 16 abilities at a time if i give it a regular skillset. The problem is that psxfin doesnt let you have a framerate lower than the game's autodetect, and epsxe sucks. Anyone know of a decent emulator that lets you slow down play or let you record it and check it frame by frame?

GeneralStrife

You must not be using epsxe right, cause it doesn't suck.

dinosaur

May 17, 2011, 04:39:35 pm #38 Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 07:35:49 pm by dinosaur
I am looking forward to the Cactite portrait!!  FF12 'cactar' is my favorite.

MagiusRerecros

Yeah, I'd have to say stick with either Poison Frog or Repeating Fist... Or, if possible, combine the two to make a new effect; like keeping the initial beams from poison frog, and then when those hit the enemy, move in to Repeating Fist.
Move Zig. For great Justice.

Also, Algus sucks up to level 5 donkey balls.