• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

2nd FFT Arena Single Class Challenge AI Tournament

Started by Barren, August 11, 2015, 07:16:35 am

Corosar

i would not mind doing round 7 if that is not too much to ask... and i could do round 6 as well to make it a bit less work.

• Modding version: Other/Unknown
Time for a new season!

V 1.4.1 W/L: 3 / 7
V 1.4 W/L: 3 / 14.5
V 1.39 W/L: 13.25 / 22

Barren

Yea you can do rounds 6 & 7. I can take care of Rek's match
You dare cross blades with me?

Corosar

Time for a new season!

Reks

So the tourney has the potential to be finished tomorrow?

Looking forward to it all!
  • Discord username: Reks#0128

Corosar

September 08, 2015, 10:30:44 pm #244 Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 04:33:03 am by Corosar
Here are the matches don't open round 7 till you watched the other two or you will spoil the ending for yourself!

Match 23 - Rouroni elmdor vs fattyzilla
Match 24 - dw6561 vs mudvayne

Time for a new season!

Mudvayne

Wow, Blind on my berserked Samurai in R3 almost cost me the match. He missed about... 10 turns in a row?  :oops: Those Bizen Boats also screwed up my game plan a few times. You really did have me worried there with all that evasion your team has. GG DW!

Too much speed, couldn't hang. Those thiefs just swarm you and hit SO hard. GJ Fattyzilla.

Very happy with how far my team has made it in this tournament. After getting eliminated straight to the losers bracket from my first match-up, I did not have much confidence in this team. Pretty surprised at how they performed and managed to eliminate some of the teams that they did.

Barren

Reks

Quote from: Barren on September 09, 2015, 12:30:30 pm
FFT Arena AI SCC Tournament Semi Finals

I won't lie, I don't know what I was expecting beyond losing.

I didn't think I'd be THAT completely crushed. Good mood streak is over.

Alas, GG Fatty. I dunno if I have the energy to watch the finals right now.
  • Discord username: Reks#0128

Shintroy

Squire vs Thief

Brutal. The harsh reality high speed vs low speed. Even without quickening this wasn't going to end well for Reks since he had spellcasters. GJ making it so far with squire though Reks. Definitely wanted squire to take this tournament

Geomancer vs Thief
Geomancer's probably my favorite class behind mime. Maybe tied with Samurai, Oracle, and Squire actually. It's definitely possible to take it since geomancer has great stats outside of speed.

Set 1 - Not surprised. Wasn't even close

Set 2 - Nailbiter. I wouldn't call it luck, but the maps where gatebuster had good geomancy magics were the ones he won on convincingly. Glad this wasn't a long and drawn out set. GG

Cheer Song, Quickening, and the Speed Dance could stand to be removed for a patch. I'd like to see teams with static SP go at in the future. When SP gets to a certain point the advantage becomes just as good as having another unit on the team. I do like SP boosting myself though. I won't stop until it's patched out for a season. GL to everyone in next year's tournament even if it's still 139.

Buff Mime.

Love and Peace.
Some day my people will be free.

dw6561

Starring Flood the undead frog who couldn't do anything as her teammates' corpses were huddled up in the corner. That was probably the most entertaining match I've seen with any of my teams. Especially round three. In fact, it might have been that frog proc that cost me in the end. I'm happy with my progress this tourney.

Now off to watch those other matches...I mean off to class, THEN to watch the matches.
  • Modding version: PSX
This is FF Tactics. All the Tactics you can ever have, all in one byte.

gatebuster202

September 09, 2015, 11:34:27 pm #250 Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 12:58:45 am by gatebuster202
Thank you to both Barren and Corosar, just checking in today. My wife had some issues, (health related.) We have them mostly resolved, so I will be back on the forums Friday or so. (Very sorry for the delay in the tournament, I really wanted to do the matches I was supposed to do.)

Edit: Loser's Bracket Matches.
I'm caught up on the loser's Bracket. GG to Mudvayne, I'd been hoping to face you. Great showing for how early you hit the Doom Train. Reks, GG, sorry that we couldn't go a second match up. Fatty, I look forward to these Finals.

Edit: Finals
Wow, GG Fatty, those thieves man. High speed has some devastation to it. Though, that Charm is really what was wrecking me more then anything. Cancel the spells and then turn the ladies on the team. Brutal combo. I was really happy to play on the Volcano as Geo's get to abuse the terrain on that map(It's the only lava map) and really got to shine in the second half on the geomancy. After that trouncing I was shown in the first set, I was worried after that first match. Then I saw the Execution Site and was saying "crap, here we go again." I was surprised at how well the Monastery maps played out for me over the course of the Tourney. I'd have to say that, aside from the pure speed of thieves, I was really threatened by Reks squires and their similarities to geo's in stats.

GG to all, and Thanks again to Barren and Corosar, very sorry that I became delayed with life. (I know it happens, it just sucks when I have a commitment I want to keep.) I'LL throw a big thanks out to Barren helping me brainstorm for Monks when this all started and giving me a few pointers once I got Geos. I'm really surprised that this build won, and fear what might have happened against another set of teams. (CT5's priests or Elmdore's Oracles. For example, or a Status Protection/ High HP Team.)

With this being a SCC, don't expect anything good out of my ranked teams when I build them. ;)

Edit. 1.40 Thoughts.
I have to agree with Shintroy, I'd love to see static speed on a team. I'd say that thieves have some fairly strong abilities in their kit. (Steals, Ruins, CHARM!!!) And will survive just fine as the fastest SOB's in the game. I'd like to see what happens with just haste/slow/stop on the table.

Geo procs can't be relied on at their current % ratio. And trust me when I say, their is very little reason to build a geomancer or geomancy in a standard arena team, when you have to cover far more variables. (In a SCC or a Dual CC, they shine.) (Unevadable damage is much easier achieved in other forms, and their elements can lead to problems.) A 20% inflict rate, (a very small change.) would up the power of geomancy. (Also the strongest of all(Lava Ball.) is limited to what, two maps? Three? And Dead protection is almost as common as silence protection.) Just a thought for making Geomancy valid for standard matches.

I'd also suggest a tweak to Squires. (I forget how much we can tweak gender variables.) Can we up Male PA by one and Female MA by one, and reduce the opposite Attribute by one as well. It would allow for greater specialization and focus based on gender with out making the class unbalanced in stats. Just some thoughts...
Winner of the 2nd FFT Arena SCC Tourney. -Geomancers

Elmdork

That was an awesome tournament! Everybody who recorded matches did a great job, and congratulations gate buster! My internet has been garbage lately so it's been taking me forever to watch everything, and therefore respond.

Really interesting to see the two teams that beat me duke it out, what ultimately cost reks the victory was the investment into anti magic stuff. Got him this far, but speed and physical damage won the day. DW, mudvayne, fattyzilla.. you all did fantastic and have proven you are forces to be reckoned with.

I'm happy with my run, oracles are sitting generally where they belong, but there's an issue: I already have an oracle team, so these lovely ladies need a good home! At the cost of synergy, I went with 4 very different oracle builds all of which would make an excellent addition to any team. I firmly believe there is at least one status to compliment every team composition (which is why I feel "status based team" seems a funny thing to say) and with a tweak here and there, any one of these oracles will get that job done.

As you can see, they are quite happy together, but they'll be much happier on a team with more variety.
The bird of Hermes is my name
Eating my wings to make me tame
  • Discord username: rouroni elmdor

Barren

Maybe when Christmas break happens and 1.4 gets introduced finally we can run a tourney where everyone has to have a mime on their team. Think of it like an regular arena tournament only exception being you got to have a mime on your team i.e. Shintroy's Donuts team. Figured that can be a new kind of tourney that can be fun. Cause well as CT5Holy would say "Mimes are fun!"

reinoe

I said so at the beginning of this tourney and I'll say it again.  I'm really happy with how this tournament played out.  Especially with the new players doing particularly well.  Fun fact: Geomancers used to be a joke class with terrible stats.  Then their PA/MA got upped by one and they become so powerful that Geomancy had to be toned down. 

Congratulations to all the participants.  It's good to know that even though I didn't go far I can at least say I got knocked out by second place!

Until next time!
My dreams can come true!

gatebuster202

It was a fun run for me, and I am happy with Geos as a independent class. A thought at Barren. We could actually make sure everyone had a mime in a team by locking it to a gender (Male or Female) for everyone and then make your standard four man teams. (We don't break the sprite limit) Just a thought.
Winner of the 2nd FFT Arena SCC Tourney. -Geomancers

Barren

We can discuss the rules of a possible future Mime tournament for another thread. But as far as locking a mime into one gender I don't think would encourage people to join. I think everyone should pick a gender for the mimes. If we add monsters to the next patch it will certainly spice things up

Shintroy

What about a negative status locked tournament? Maybe have a requirement for every unit to have some way to land the team's status effect. Even though it would never happen, it's obvious sleep or stop would win the tournament. I've been wanting to make a death sentence team for the longest, but didn't since there's the cancel dead equipment exploit to hold me back.
Some day my people will be free.

Barren

If we release the next patch, the equips genji shield and gold armor in particular should be getting immune death sentence so that way the AI won't wont Death Sentence on a target that isn't immune DS but is immune to dead. It cost a number of teams victories in the past. Plus you can use breaks/steals to bypass status protection if you're willing to add some flexibility

silentkaster

Quote from: Barren on September 14, 2015, 09:33:56 am
If we release the next patch, the equips genji shield and gold armor in particular should be getting immune death sentence so that way the AI won't wont Death Sentence on a target that isn't immune DS but is immune to dead. It cost a number of teams victories in the past. Plus you can use breaks/steals to bypass status protection if you're willing to add some flexibility

100% agreed. It gives two free turns to the AI (it DOES make the AI lose one turn, but still that is a net gain of one turn). While I realize this mechanic was in Vanilla, it made certain things, like an SSCC possible. Here, the AI does not learn that the unit is immune to DS so it continues to use DS many times which, at best, extends a match a lot, or at worst, causes the team to lose completely. (What's funny is that the AI realizes that DS won't work, as it will cast attack magic on a unit wearing one of these items hit with DS to hit the target after DS expires.)
You've stepped in puddles less shallow than me.