• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 09:23:49 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Official Sprite Contest: Heroes From Other Worlds

Started by Celdia, September 22, 2012, 11:53:54 am

jimmyjw88

Yes, there is. Need to search for the thread though. As for portrait, there's a better one (hope we are on the same page, Cheetah, haha) made by the japanese but in 64 x 96 JPEG file. I've got it scale down and redrew back the basic shapes and shading, but it is still work in progress.

As for the Goku, looking great!!
Kindly upload the images to other image hosting sites. I can't view imageshack. Thanks.

Cheetah

As for Squall that all sounds correct to me Jimmy, the Japanese portrait was the one I was thinking of.

As for Goku, thanks! Now that I have the base I'm considering doing a series of entries or maybe even some kind of animation. Is the hair looking okay, that alone took more time the entire rest of the sprite?
Current Projects:

Choto

Might as well throw this into the cauldron of random hero soup we got goin here.. Everybody's got some really cool submissions :D

Cyclops from X-Men, Dart as a base

Cheetah

Looking good Choto, I'm a huge X-Men fan! Your color ramps could look a bit better, steal from existing sprites. Also, your zoomed version is wonky it isn't exactly x2 and is stretched wide and doesn't do the actual sprite justice.
Current Projects:

jimmyjw88

The hair is definitely on the right track, Cheetah. And a series for some animation sounds interesting.
Kindly upload the images to other image hosting sites. I can't view imageshack. Thanks.

Jon

Wow Cheetah, that is an impressive Goku! Just one thing, could you make the spike below the biggest one a bit larger? It looks like diagonally left above his right eye the hair kinda just stops, right where the first bang starts. Really awesome, I like DB, make a whole sheet lol! :mrgreen:
There ain't no gettin' offa this train we on!

Jon

October 18, 2012, 06:13:15 am #66 Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 06:06:00 am by Jon
If you can only choose one of your entries, I'd like to choose this one then. Its Bartz from FF V, made from Mime for clothes, Olan's boots, Agrias arms (totally reworked) and custom hair:

Bartz reference

Robrain

October 18, 2012, 02:03:32 pm #67 Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 09:24:43 am by Robrain
I'm new to this, so coming into this thread I thought I'd be seeing a whole lot of orange/black palettes.  Something along the lines of:

That's Hal (short for "Halloween") from the Idlewild series of books by Nick Sagan (son of Carl Sagan).

As far as color, I was imagining something like a cross between Palette#3 and Palette#1 of the Male Mime:

http://www.videogamesprites.net/FinalFantasyTactics/Jobs/Mime/

Or basically something like Palette #3, but with the red replaced by orange.

Anyway, I have yet to do any spriting at all, so I don't think I'll be able to have an entry submitted by the deadline.  But I really think the FFT world could use a black/orange palette character, so I'll post it when I finish it.

jimmyjw88

Interesting concept. Hair could use a little more work. Is his skin tone yellowish?

Jon

Well Robrain, the colors of course are important, but more so is the base. If you're new to spriting, you should base your sprite off of an existing one, so for this character you will need something with coat, shirt and pants. Looks to me like he's wearing shoes. Try possibly Elmdor for his legs and shoes and maybe the male Mediator for the coat. Then change all the colors, and give him a head swap to something more befitting, like something from a Shrine Knight...good luck! Its probably better to try and make weird looking sprites and post them here, then people will give crits on how to improve it! Don't be embarrassed if it looks ridiculous, just post it! :mrgreen:

Angel

This really isn't a critiquing thread, for the fifth time. It's a contest thread. If you're looking for critiques, post them elsewhere. If you're itching to offer a critique on something, send a private message or use IRC.
  • Modding version: PSX
* Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
<@Elric> I agree to that as well

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame
At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?

Celdia

Only one more week to go! Make sure your submissions fit the guidelines and look how you want them to. Remember, you can update things to the very last minute if need be. Just because time is running out doesn't mean you can't still post entries! Looking forward to seeing what else people have in the works!
  • Discord username: Celdia#0

Reks

... Gack.... Forgot to make my own. Oh well, too lazy and busy now.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
  • Discord username: Reks#0128

Jon

October 23, 2012, 05:51:24 am #73 Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 05:58:29 am by Jon
Quote from: Reks on October 23, 2012, 05:44:00 am
... Gack.... Forgot to make my own. Oh well, too lazy and busy now.

Its not too late, you still have 2 days to make just one forward diagonal facing frame! C'mon guys! Don't give up!

Also a quick question, I entered quite a few sprites, will all of them be counted? They are all separate from each other so I assume the answer is yes, just checking though...

Twinees

Jon, read the rules list :P
This one in particular answers your question :P

10) There is NO limit on the number of entries per member as long as they are significantly distinct.

Celdia

So long as they meet all the submission guidelines, Jon.
  • Discord username: Celdia#0

Jumza

2 days before the contest ends! all these sprites are great, and that means I might not win.
So to either double my chances or split the vote between my 2 entries (it's a risk i'm willing to take)
Genis Sage, wearing his katz costume from Tales of Symphonia.
Sources, Square:Female ninja, cloud, red panther, male priest, female mediator. ???: Female priest with cat ears.
Character Art:
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

Twinees

October 25, 2012, 02:07:53 am #77 Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 02:25:38 am by Twinees
Entry Name: Mario and Yoshi
Sources: SQUARE - Mustadio, Goltana, Male thief (for Mario)
Character Art: Image 1, Image 2, Image 3, Image 4

I promised Celdie I'd do an entry before she'd even put the contest together so here is Mario riding Yoshi.

GeneralStrife

October 25, 2012, 04:05:55 am #78 Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 02:54:27 am by GeneralStrife
I'm back baby. Kinda impressed. First time spriting in a year and I throw this together. At least, I'm impressed with myself. No need for anyone else to be, its major franken.

ENTRY: Raven(Teen Titans)Hood down
SOURCES: Male Summoner, Lijj's Terra, Zozma's Miang

Character Art:

Eternal

Enough of this. I'm removing any and all posts related to this argument. If you want to keep arguing, do so via PM.
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817