• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:54:37 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

FFTA2: Promise Rewritten (Rebalance and Difficult hack)

Started by Kuro, August 21, 2018, 07:42:49 am

Kuro

It started as a testing field for a person beginning to learn about romhacking and pulled off of the discontinued mod of Rfh: http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=11063.0 Little by little got its own identity and I decided to rename it. The mod aims to be a major rebalance, increasing difficulty and also adding new concepts to the gameplay. As the use of Neutral Skills not dependant of a job set but of what race you are playing, the consumption of MP in attack or anything that might come in the future... Feedback and suggestions welcomed!

Things to do

• Balance the new jobs, revise animations again, add flavour to descriptions.

• Remake every mission if needed to make the game harder but more rewarding with own decisions and strategy.

• Balance Gil gain per lost during whole journey.

Links

FFTA2: Promise Rewritten. Changelog, job growths, skill sets and everything within the spreadsheet

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1UytrXCAMVfg_03GCM3QOU0CfRYCimz2zfX7BlDgKeyU/edit?usp=sharing

Currently doing for next patch 0.9.8

Probably Enemy Formation, Descriptions, Feedback changes 

Instructions to patch

- Download a fresh Final Fantasy Tactics A2 rom and my patch.
- Download Delta Patcher here: http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/704/
- Open Delta Patcher and select your original file, and FFTA2 Promise Rewritten patch.
- Press Apply Patch, and now you can play!

First mission "Stranger in the woods" made more interesting and challenging. Prove your tactical skills before the good stuff!
Strategy guide for lazy bums:
1. Let Cid get smashed. 2. Stay in the west corner to avoid Territorial and clean regular cockatrices. 3. Prepare yourself to kill the Crushatrice with full HP in everyone and a good posicionament. 4. Good luck
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

DeSgeretjin

Kuro

What I meant is that in the original game, for example Back Draft does 90 fixed damage (Bonus) plus normal damage. But when I edit these numbers they only work for magic attack, so I don't know what's wrong, I'll try editing manually without the ability editor.

EDIT: Maybe it only happens with Attack command?
EDIT 2:  Okay now I got that Fixed Damage uses weapon attack value in 0. So Derp.

Kairetsu

I tried the patch but I have a problem in the first mission. When the Nu Muo black mage had to cast Fire, I couldn't cast it because it cost 16 mp. I couldn't wait the turn either. So, the first mission is impossible if Fire have >10 mp cost.

Kuro

Alright, I made Fire to cost 8 MP with lowered damage. I hope you can beat the first mission now. Also I updated Nu Mous jobs, equipment and descriptions revised, to make the game more playable between patches. What I didn't go through in deep was AP cost. But it doesn't look so bad for now.

grassmudhorses

It's okay to release less frequently: I'd like to see more changes to fix the glaring issues left over from the previous author.

Kuro

I guess you're right and maybe I started too excited with the project. May you elaborate on these glaring issues? I'm probably not aware of them.

Kairetsu

I already passed the first mission. Just reach Camoa now.
I found a minor (but annoying) bug with White Mage's Barrier skill. It's a little difficult to explain without screenshot. Basically, this skill has cross-shaped AOE but I cannot target an empty tile even if there is a unit beside that empty tile. I can only activate the skill on a tile with a unit standing on it.

Thankfully, this bug can be easily fix in the ability editor. You just need put a check mark on one of the unknown flag.

Kuro

Wow, thanks. I just downloaded the screenshot from Rfh with his exploration of properties. I'll revise the jobs to see more bugs before to continue editing Vieras. Let me know if you find some skill broken or useless, or more bugs.

grassmudhorses

Monster scaling breaks a bunch of things to start.

Maybe find a solution to making items not super abusable - at this point the optimal strategy is to buy the cheapest item and spam items on everyone to move across the map on your turn and smack your enemies...

Also please remove the massive number of critical:quicken... Sometimes the AI heals to full by just spamming items!

Kuro

1. I edited the first mission, removing the monsters scaling (Even Cid scaled!) and it's more fun. I might edit every enemy formation of every mission to keep a challenge without the scaling but it sounds like a lot of work. However, it might be the best solution and it would add refreshing experiences if I learn to include new stuff. Another idea is just making SOME missions scale with party level. Like Story ones? And Random be that, random

2. To be honest, I never use items, at least I try not to, in every game, so I have no idea, but now it feels like I skipped an important part, since I already edited Alchemist it feels important.

Edit: I have no idea how you make such an advantage with items, I revised them and I don't see strong ones, but for mirrored, that I modified and healing potions, that now scale with Max HP.

3. I'll keep that in mind when I touch enemies.

Kairetsu

I have few things to report.

1. Rupture doesn't seem to trigger Counter even though it is a damaging skill.

2. Beastmaster's Toad doesn't work on sleeping Lamia. It simply doesn't allow you to target them. I don't think this bug is fixable though.

3. Eureka Crystal doesn't have any legitimate target. It's simply unusable.

4. This particular bug is big one. In the Moon Seal quest (which I lost just now, sadly), the Lamia inflicted Doom on my Dragoon. When the Doom countdown reached zero, the usual Death animation doesn't appear. Instead, there was a smoke-like animation along with 'DISPEL' pop up. My Bangaa didn't die. His accuracy up buff got dispeled.

I think Doom status automatically cast Arcanist's Death when the countdown reach zero. Because the Death skill was altered into Antimagic skill, it will affect the outcome of Doom. I haven't test this theory yet, so I'm not 100% sure about this.

Btw, the accuracy of Lamia's Kiss is way too high (>90%). Especially in the game where you cannot revive your party member. Maybe, decrease the accuracy to make it fair.

Kuro

1. Fixed. Just checked the counter for them. Since I learnt about these properties halfway of doing jobs I left these bugs especially in the skills I did more changes. : P

2. I hope fixed as well, I think I know why it didn't work but didn't test it, I'll do later.

3. Eureka and Grimoire fixed as well, they were left to hit on allies healed, but since the author removed the healing they could not target, or just miss? Need testing.

4. Wow, I forgot to do the same I did for Raise, Doom was doing my new spell for Arcanist Antimagic =-= I moved this one to another slot. It should be fixed now.

You are right. Now they are perfect on Eye contact. So... Face away <.< Also I added more mechanics to get an advantage over the enemy like more Knockbacks... ... etc? XD It should be an interesting way to play, not let the Lamia get closer while you kill the rest. I want to give traps to a variety of characters as well but not yet. I need to check stuff.

Kairetsu

1. Rupture triggers Counter now. Tested.

2. Beastmaster's Toad can target sleeping Lamia. Tested.

3. Eureka Crystal is usable. Tested.

4. I cannot test the Doom part. It's difficult to wait the Lamia to use Kiss on my unit. I'll let you know later when I encounter Doom status again.

EDIT: The Doom works perfectly now. Tested.

Kuro

To Kairetsu: If it is too difficult maybe I should at least allow Charm to have a good chance to hit and Doom just on eye contact.

Now, I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I found something interesting that I would like to share and I expect someone might use to get new possibilities to mod FFTA2.

Under the animations of abilities there is a small parcele of bytes which content something related to Reaction and Passive abilities that I don't know much about:

R-Ability
053EB09C
053EB10F
P-Ability
053EB110
053EB1AF
1245 00
1525 00
1415 00
0225 00
1835 00
2020 00
0925 00
0115 00
1915 00
0825 00
1740 00
2250 00
0045 00
2120 00
0525 00
0415 00
0725 00
1625 00
1120 00
1025 00
0330 00
1340 00
0635 00
255100 00
255100 00
255100 00
255100 00
255100 00
255100 00
4615 00
4715 00
4815 00
4915 00
2525 00
4035 00
5420 00
2825 00
5625 00
4499 00
5215 00
3340 00
5125 00
5310 00
2535 00
3710 00
4115 00
4515 00
5015 00
3015 00
3415 00
2415 00
4315 00
2315 00
2915 00
3115 00
3810 00
3910 00
2710 00
2610 00
4210 00
3610 00
5530 00
3220 00
255100 00
255100 00
255100 00
255100 00
255100 00
255100 00

Conclusions

1. Converted to Decimal and flipped it shows a pattern that makes me think Reactions are pointed in the first byte from 01 to 22 and Passives from 23 to 55?. The other byte are all multiples of 5 but for Dual Wield 99, not sure if because it can't reach 100 = 64 in hexa, which is the one the hidden slots have.

2. There are six slots for new Reactions and Passives, free of content. They appear in the menu if you change the value of FF.

3. I tried to corrupt Dual Wield that also is the weirdest ther and with FF I make the slot disappear but I tried other values and the skill still works! Even with 0000 or randomness.

Really need help to interpret this because I'm a newbie but I feel this can lead to modify properties of passives *-*

Madeen

Umm wont you remove any challenge if missions dont scale with party level?  Or did I misunderstand?

Kuro

I totally understand your worries, and I'm not going to change anything else (About level scaling) until I play from the beginning after the jobs are completed. In the meantime, you could ask Kairetsu if he finds the game enjoyable for now. Right now I didn't remove the scaling but for the first mission/tutorial.

Also, since I lowered the exp rewards, the game should not fuck you so early because of the lack of abilities, because monsters grow stronger every level. So, fortunately, the game will be more balanced now. Still I want ability changes and ocasional battle changes where we see they are needed.

PD: Kairetsu, thanks for testing those! I'm surprised I did those fixes so fast with no mistakes, well I was lucky this time. xD   

grassmudhorses

Shouldn't missions scale with the mission difficulty(mission number) and not your avg party level? Since avg party level is easily manipulated by recruiting.

Madeen

Yeah no rush, take your time testing.. And lower exp is nice :)

I'm just going to wait more abilities are changed... I still feel there are too many redudant/boring abilities left :p

And regarding scaling with mission number, considering there are missions level 80+ and 99, I doubt its going to work?  I'm already unsure about the tower where there are lvl 70+ monsters in it...  I mean, since level cap is 50.