• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 02:51:13 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Replacing the Item Skills? (Help?)

Started by Darkholme, December 22, 2013, 04:59:53 am

Darkholme

December 22, 2013, 04:59:53 am Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 05:17:22 am by Darkholme
As it says in the title.

I know you can't change the abilities of the individual "item" abilities.

Do any problems arise from assigning Ninja, Samurai, and Chemist new skillsets? There are some empty ones, as well as duplicates. Is there any reason two duplicates couldn't be combined, and one of the duplicates slots, (Like 9B, 9D, and 9E) be used to define new skillsets that are used by those classes?

I'm thinking of giving the Samurai some variety of Swordskill perhaps or maybe give them Limit (or something similar to it - as Limit seems quite similar to Cyan Garamonde's skillset). Possibly a skill that combines these things.

For the Ninja, I'm thinking a sort of assassin-ey skillset, maybe with a couple things from Snipe, and some stuff from Use Hand, or something. I would like to have ninja be an option I actually consider sticking with, rather than "the stepping stone to get to the two swords skill." Perhaps make this some variety of swordskill as well as the Samurai. I'm really not sure, I just want to make it something interesting enough I might actually use it.

As for Item, I was thinking about using the "everyone gets item and throw item innate" ASMs. Ideally, it would start out mastered, and the enemy wouldn't have it. I think they said ALMA would be the tool to do this one.

As for what to replace Chemist with, I'm not sure. I suppose it would leave me with an open slot that could be used for anything. I'll probably peruse what other people here have made and swap something in for it. Suggestions could be nice. Maybe a blue mage (Monster Spells)?

Before I spend a bunch of time designing skillsets that turn out not to be possible, I'd like to verify that it's possible first.

I have read that things go wonky if you reassign stock jobs new skillsets. Is there a way to make their stock skillset a normal skillset that you can assign regular abilities to?

I remember reading something about weirdness when you try to alter things associated with those skillsets.

Thanks.

Darkholme

Hmm. I've been doing a bit of looking around, and it seems that (at least you used to not be able to) edit the classes I find myself wanting to change without it causing problems.

Assuming that I am correct in this, I have a question I would like to pose:

What about using RAD to get around that? Enable the new class using Chemist/Ninja/Samurai/Geomancer as the host classes, and hide Chemist/Ninja/Samurai/Geomancer by making them require level 8 in stuff you can't get?

Has anyone tried using "A9 is available to everyone" combined with making A9 a copy of Item? Would that result in All NPCs constantly spamming phoenix downs? Woudl it work at all?

formerdeathcorps

The problem is the AI, which can only consider 34 moves per unit.  If you make A9 innate, you must reduce the number of moves on other jobs so the total number of moves (including the A9 skillset) does not exceed 34 (or certain moves will never be used).

QuoteI know you can't change the abilities of the individual "item" abilities.

Yes you can.  You change the formulas of the items (in the Items tab), not in the Abilities tab.

QuoteDo any problems arise from assigning Ninja, Samurai, and Chemist new skillsets? There are some empty ones, as well as duplicates. Is there any reason two duplicates couldn't be combined, and one of the duplicates slots, (Like 9B, 9D, and 9E) be used to define new skillsets that are used by those classes?

The AI can use the skillset, but you cannot.  If you set your (blue team) units to "save fading life", they will also be able to use it.

QuoteHmm. I've been doing a bit of looking around, and it seems that (at least you used to not be able to) edit the classes I find myself wanting to change without it causing problems.
What about using RAD to get around that? Enable the new class using Chemist/Ninja/Samurai/Geomancer as the host classes, and hide Chemist/Ninja/Samurai/Geomancer by making them require level 8 in stuff you can't get?

You have the wrong ASM.  ARH is the one that breaks the restrictions, not RAD.
The destruction of the will is the rape of the mind.
The dogmas of every era are nothing but the fantasies of those in power; their dreams are our waking nightmares.

Darkholme

I was definitely thinking RAD was my only option to "replace" them. I figured The approach I'd need to take would be:
1. Make replacement jobs in empty slots.
2. Make them dependent on the original versions of the class, and give them the same sprite, in RAD.
3. Change the Job requirements of the original version to be unattainable (somehow), and change the Job Requirements of the new jobs I've made to be the same as the old ones.
4. Either go through and swap all instances of chemists, ninja, etc for the new versions, or just accept that NPCs will continue to use the old versions.

Can I use ARH to approach this in a better way?
(So far as I can tell, its only used if you want to add conditions you need to meet to be able to use an ability)

Is there a better way you can think of to approach replacing one or more of these classes than using RAD and setting up the one I want to replace to be unattainable?

A9 Innate: So if I'm okay with only having the players use item (for instance) That won't be a problem, otherwise, I need to consider reducing the total number of usable item skills and/or the total number of other usable skills per job?

formerdeathcorps

Oh, sorry, I meant GSF (Generic Skillset Fix), not ARH.  Once you apply that, the hard-coding on chemist, archer, ninja is short-circuited and you can customize them to be whatever you like (no need to create two separate jobs).  You can still have the AI keep the original versions of throw / item / draw out by copying the vanilla skillsets to unused slots A5-A7 and force-assign A5-A7 as secondary jobs to generic units in the ENTD (the way 1.3 did).

QuoteA9 Innate: So if I'm okay with only having the players use item (for instance)

Not quite.  If I remember correctly, A9 will always be loaded first, then the primary job, and then the secondary job, with the last two slots hard-coded for the support skill "defend" and "attack".  However, since the skill limit is 32, the AI will stop loading the secondary job's skills (and prematurely end the routine) once that limit is reached.  This means that the A9 Innate will not create glitches if your job is Sq / Ar but the secondary skills of a Pr / Wi will be cut off.
The destruction of the will is the rape of the mind.
The dogmas of every era are nothing but the fantasies of those in power; their dreams are our waking nightmares.

Darkholme

Okay, with some hunting, I found the workbook that has the generic skillset fix page in it.

I opened it up, and I'm a little confused.

How do I go about applying the fix, and what exactly does it do?