• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:00:24 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

FFT: Emergence (PSP)

Started by BleuVII, January 17, 2017, 11:11:35 pm

BleuVII

Quote from: vrork on January 30, 2017, 04:27:18 pm
Ah cool! Good luck with your second job.

Me again, the class is still the DK in the FFTPatcher right? what is then code of it? Also, can i give skills to the onion knight to learn? I never saw the point of it before, but i dont know if it is hardcoded or not.

Yeah, it's still the Dark Knight. The Skillset you are looking for is "E0 - Darkness". You should be able to copy the skills from "1B - Mettle (Ramza Ch.4)"

Quote from: Stories8106 on January 30, 2017, 04:55:25 pm
Does this include the slowdown patch?

It CAN, but right now it doesn't. I did all of my playtesting with the slowdown patch included, but when I rebuilt the ISO I accidentally left the slowdown patch out. I was trying to get it released before my second job entered its busy season and I'd be unable to work on the patch for 3 weeks. In doing so, I made a couple of sloppy mistakes that I hope to resolve just as soon as I have reliable free time again.
  • Modding version: WotL

vrork

BleuVII, thanks. Do you know if it would be possible to add all dark/holy knight skills to the onion knight? Or it is hardcode the no skills of him?

BleuVII

January 30, 2017, 11:36:29 pm #22 Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 07:25:55 pm by BleuVII
Quote from: vrork on January 30, 2017, 10:34:46 pm
BleuVII, thanks. Do you know if it would be possible to add all dark/holy knight skills to the onion knight? Or it is hardcode the no skills of him?

Hmmm... this may be a better question to bring to the War of the Lions forum, but as my answer will give you info about this patch in particular, I'll post it here.

There are 2 classes that you can do absolutely nothing with, aside from changing their job requirements: The Mime and the Onion Knight. The Mime is the easiest to understand. Mimes can gain JP and learn new abilities. However, they cannot equip any reaction, support, or movement abilities, any abilities that they learn cannot be used as a sub job, and any reaction/support/movement skills they learn cannot be equipped, even by other classes.

Onion Knights are almost exactly like Mimes, but they also cannot gain JP. Therefore, you can give an Onion Knight a skillset, but it HAS to be filled with skills that cost 0 JP; otherwise they cannot use the skills. Additionally, they can learn skills by being hit with them, but if they learn one, they will in turn learn their whole skillset at once. So... all of that said, the Mime and the Onion Knight kind of have to stay the way they are.

I had tried to use the intricacies of the hard-coding to the advantage of both of these classes. Blue Mages don't work in FFT because monsters use an entirely different stat progression system than characters to make up for their inability to equip weapons. Since the monster skills draw from those stats, a Blue Mage would have to match the monster stats, meaning that any sub-class would be incredibly overpowered on a Blue Mage, and the Blue Mage skillset would be incredibly UNDERPOWERED when equipped as a sub-class. So I tried to give it to the Onion Knight until I ran into the glitch with them learning all skills at once. I can try again on Mimes, but I think there was a reason I scrapped that idea.

EDIT: Also, it should be noted that there are more classes that you really can't edit: Chemists, Archers, Ninjas, Samurai, and Arithmeticians. The only way I managed to edit the Archers was to do a 3-way sprite swap between the Soldiers, Archers, and Monks.

Stories8106

February 01, 2017, 02:05:20 pm #23 Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 12:21:53 am by Stories8106
Quote from: BleuVII on January 30, 2017, 09:19:52 pm
Yeah, it's still the Dark Knight. The Skillset you are looking for is "E0 - Darkness". You should be able to copy the skills from "1B - Mettle (Ramza Ch.4)"

It CAN, but right now it doesn't. I did all of my playtesting with the slowdown patch included, but when I rebuilt the ISO I accidentally left the slowdown patch out. I was trying to get it released before my second job entered its busy season and I'd be unable to work on the patch for 3 weeks. In doing so, I made a couple of sloppy mistakes that I hope to resolve just as soon as I have reliable free time again.

I hear you, life can totally get in the way.  As long as the updates actually keep coming and (or) you keep us posted!

I love your idea for a Blue Mage, but it would need a sprite change. Also, I think someone else out there turned the Onion Knight into a Berserker of some sort.

BleuVII

Version 1.1 is released. It includes the slowdown removal and all text fixes, as well as a few other things. Download the new version on the original post.

First off, let me apologize to those who have started playing. I used Eternal's slowdown removal patch, but I was only able to apply this to the European version of the game, whereas v1.0 used the North American version. I've included a 1.0->1.1 upgrade patch so you can continue your save file, but if you want the slowdown removal, you'll either have to start over on the European version or use the live patch found on this site.

The full changelog is below:
Changelog in V 1.1

==System-Level Changes==
* The slowdown removal patch is now built in. Unfortunately, it required a switch to the European ISO, so saves will not transfer over. Because of this, I've included a patch for the US release without the slowdown removal patch for those that want to continue their progress.
* The PSP Menu Icon/Background have been changed to distinguish this game from the original release.

==Character/Ability Changes==
* "Plunder Gil" has been changed to "Plunder Spell", a new ability that allows Balthier to cancel the casting of a spell, a charged attack from a Soldier, or a Song/Dance from a Bard/Dancer.
* Cloud now starts with with Materia Blade equipped, and the Materia Blade is once again required for pulling off Limit skills.
* Reis is able to learn Tri-Thunder, Tri-Flame, Dark Whisper, and Gigaflare in a Blue Mage fashion, by being hit with them.

==Item Changes==
* The "Oak Staff" has been changed to the "Defense Staff". Hitting an ally with this staff will put them into a defending status, doubling their evasion until their next turn.
--Treasure Hunter--
* With the Materia Blade now coming equipped on Cloud, it no longer makes sense to find it on Mount Berevenia. I have replaced the item in that location with the "Arondight", the first of 4 Fell Swords. This is available at the beginning of Chapter 4.
* Treasure Hunting at Nelveska Temple has been changed drastically. Here are the 3 changes:
- The Nagrarok was changed from the weakest standard sword to the strongest Fell Sword, on par with the Knight Sword Ragnarok (this was in version 1.0). It can be stolen from Loffrey the last time you fight him, or it can be won in Midlight's Deep. It is no longer available at Nelveska Temple.
- In Nagrarok's place in Nelveska, you are now guaranteed to find Gungnir (formerly known as Javelin mk.2).
- Pridwen (formerly known as Escutcheon mk.2) is no longer found at the Nelveska Temple. It can now be found (guaranteed) in Dorvauldar Marsh.
- The spots that once held Gungnir/Pridwen now hold standard purchaseable equipment.

SPennLUE

I just wanted to say I tried the patch and it's great so far.  I'm up to the Dorter Slums now, surprised to see monks with bows!

Would you happen to know if it possible to beat the game playing only the mandatory story battles?  I expect it would be very difficult at the least, much like the main game.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

BleuVII

Quote from: SPennLUE on February 11, 2017, 05:24:20 pm
I just wanted to say I tried the patch and it's great so far.  I'm up to the Dorter Slums now, surprised to see monks with bows!

Would you happen to know if it possible to beat the game playing only the mandatory story battles?  I expect it would be very difficult at the least, much like the main game.

Hmmm... I just double-checked, and those "Monks" are definitely Archers. They would only be Monks if you applied the "FFT Emergence 1.0 to 1.1 (no slowdown removal).ppf" patch directly to an unpatched ISO. If you can, please find an EU ISO and apply the main patch.

As far as beating the game playing only mandatory story battles, it's probably possible, but it would be a bit tough. I did all of the side-quests (Beowulf, Cloud, etc.) with minimal grinding... maybe 10 on-purpose random battles to master Rapha and Marach's base class... and though the end boss was pretty difficult, I was able to win the game. The "Zero Charge" ability I gave to Cletienne, Hasmal, and Altima really ramps up the difficulty of those battles. (The battle allows them to cast all spells with no charge time.)

ScarletVice

Hi I found a small bug. I'm playing a european iso that has been patched with main 1.01 and and 1.0 to 1.01 patches.

I have just passed dorter and I had 2 archers for that battle. When I switched them back to Squires they still had the innate vigilance in the reaction slot. I have not spent the jp to aquire this skill. Selecting the reaction ability and switching it to counter tackle removes it. But all I have to do is re assign archer and it occurs again.

Side note. Absolutely loving this so far! I really appreciate the work you are putting in to this and will definitely be playing this for a long time.
I have no knowledge or experience as a modder. Just testing things that seem fun and providing feedback.

Xifanie

Yeah, there are awful bugs with innate reaction abilities, so do avoid them at any cost. I forgot if there is a functional fix for this on the PSX version, but even if there is, this is really something you want to avoid unless it has passive effects (Weapon Guard & Abandon, w/e their names are in WotL). I just mean you can ASM hack those to make them enabled without using a reaction ability slot, obviously that means that's still a no go for WotL.
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

BleuVII

Quote from: ScarletVice on February 19, 2017, 12:34:35 pm
I have just passed dorter and I had 2 archers for that battle. When I switched them back to Squires they still had the innate vigilance in the reaction slot.

Yes, as Xifanie said, that is just a known issue with innate Reaction abilities in general. I had to make a decision between (A) Not giving innate reactions, or (B) Letting this bug through. I thought the benefits outweighed the detriments. I don't have a plan to fix it at this point.

ScarletVice

February 19, 2017, 11:27:11 pm #30 Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 02:40:07 pm by ScarletVice
I found another issue I don't see mentioned. Alicia and Lavian Start as lancers, But do not actually have the job unlocked for themselves at the start of chapter 2.

Also geomancer skill tremor when selecting an enemy says the effect is protect in red instead of confuse which is in the help info. Have tried a few dozen times and no added effect seems to trigger. neither the normal confuse, nor protect. Targeted enemies do not seem to have any imunity to confuse either.  Other geo skills seem to work properly, but have not been able to check all yet.

Also is there a way to contact you directly with these little things? I don't want to clutter up the forum unless this is the proper place to post stuff.
I have no knowledge or experience as a modder. Just testing things that seem fun and providing feedback.

HebrewToYou

Quote from: BleuVII on February 13, 2017, 09:49:13 pm
Hmmm... I just double-checked, and those "Monks" are definitely Archers. They would only be Monks if you applied the "FFT Emergence 1.0 to 1.1 (no slowdown removal).ppf" patch directly to an unpatched ISO. If you can, please find an EU ISO and apply the main patch.

As far as beating the game playing only mandatory story battles, it's probably possible, but it would be a bit tough. I did all of the side-quests (Beowulf, Cloud, etc.) with minimal grinding... maybe 10 on-purpose random battles to master Rapha and Marach's base class... and though the end boss was pretty difficult, I was able to win the game. The "Zero Charge" ability I gave to Cletienne, Hasmal, and Altima really ramps up the difficulty of those battles. (The battle allows them to cast all spells with no charge time.)

For the record, I used a clean WotL EU iso with your 1.1 patch and I'm seeing the monks issue as well.

BleuVII

Quote from: HebrewToYou on February 21, 2017, 07:40:41 pm
For the record, I used a clean WotL EU iso with your 1.1 patch and I'm seeing the monks issue as well.

Hmmm... is it just for the one battle, or are your own Archers showing up as Monks in battle?

HebrewToYou

Appears to be just the one battle as far as I can tell. There were both archers and monks present (as expected) in the next battle.

BleuVII

Quote from: HebrewToYou on February 22, 2017, 12:38:17 am
Appears to be just the one battle as far as I can tell. There were both archers and monks present (as expected) in the next battle.

Thanks. I'll look into it. Keep an eye out for any more of that. After I did my full run-through, I switched the sprites and abilities of the Archer and Monk so that it was the Monk used to unlock the Magus, not the Archer. I double- and triple-checked all of the storyline battles to make sure they had appropriate equipment, but it's possible that some slipped through the cracks.

Also, I apologize about the Alicia/Lavian mix-up. Just switch them to a class that they know. I will make them Soldiers in the next revision.

Stories8106

Hey just curious... I've noticed alot of double animations going on. For example, whenever I use specific abilities that have has animations swapped. Pulsar Crush, nearly all of the archers abilities too.  Any idea why this is happening?

BleuVII

Quote from: Stories8106 on March 07, 2017, 01:18:53 pm
Hey just curious... I've noticed alot of double animations going on. For example, whenever I use specific abilities that have has animations swapped. Pulsar Crush, nearly all of the archers abilities too.  Any idea why this is happening?

It's a limitation of the tools. Each ability in the game has 2 animations: a casting animation (swing sword, tackle, gather power, Cloud's limits, etc.) and an effect animation.  FFTPatcher only directly changes the effect animation. While I discovered ways to change the casting animation (through much trial and error), doing so broke Eternal's slowdown removal patch, and often was a bit buggy. I decided to just cut my losses.

In this case, there are 12 abilities that display damage/statuses twice. The 7 Archer abilities, Pulsar Crush, Spirit Blade, Snipe Movement, Snipe Action, and Seal Evil. This is because the original abilities that I hacked for these had a casting animation, but no effect animation. The game expects these abilities to finish right after the casting animation, so it displays the damage/status. Then, when the effect animation finishes, it displays the same info again.

UnknownKnight

OK I hope some one can help but how come I can't patch the game with this patch? Doesn't show up
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
I am a Help Vampire - help me at your own risk. But please do help me help myself!
Learn more about Help Vampires

HebrewToYou

Just finished my playthrough - pretty fun rework of WOTL! A few things that struck me as odd, though...

• There's a geomancer skill (I believe on the stone tile type) that bestows a positive status effect along with HP damage - that seems wrong

• One of Cloud's job skills (can't remember the name right now) costs no mana, deals 'meh' damage, and requires being in an adjacent tile. That's fairly useless, but so are braver and cross slash for that matter

• Move-Find item results don't show the full name of the item found - often it's only two characters of the name

Haven't done Deep Dungeon yet, so I'll let you know how that goes.

BleuVII

Quote from: HebrewToYou on March 21, 2017, 12:02:43 pm
Just finished my playthrough - pretty fun rework of WOTL! A few things that struck me as odd, though...

• There's a geomancer skill (I believe on the stone tile type) that bestows a positive status effect along with HP damage - that seems wrong

• One of Cloud's job skills (can't remember the name right now) costs no mana, deals 'meh' damage, and requires being in an adjacent tile. That's fairly useless, but so are braver and cross slash for that matter

• Move-Find item results don't show the full name of the item found - often it's only two characters of the name

Thanks for the notes. The first one is definitely an error. There is a limited number of status effect sets available, and the main game uses most of those. I had to consolidate a lot of status effects from existing spells in order to make room for the new ones I created, so I must have missed that one. I believe it should cause petrify.

I'll look into the Cloud skill. I don't consciously remember changing any of those.

As for the Treasure Hunter display, I think that is an error with FFTactext. I checked that line multiple times, but couldn't figure out why it was shorted to 2 characters. If any experienced hackers know why, please let me know.