• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:34:54 pm

Changing Ramza's Default Name

Started by A Blood Red Fox, October 01, 2014, 11:31:49 pm

A Blood Red Fox

Both of my projects would benefit from being able to change the default name for the main character. Anyone know how?

Jumza

While I've never actually done it before, have you tried changing it in TacText to see if that works?

(Just curious)
  • Modding version: PSX
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

A Blood Red Fox

I haven't since I've heard that causes things to crash. The name in tactics is just a thing that says to call up the name that was entered.

3lric

October 02, 2014, 08:34:30 am #3 Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 08:40:53 am by Elric
It doesn't cause anything to crash, dunno where you heard that, but you were misinformed...

If it is anywhere that can currently be accessed, then yes, it would likely be tactext.

However, I haven't tested this, so I cannot guarantee.

The problem would be that you'd then have to change every single instance of
{Ramza} in every single event. Because that it how it knows to use the name you entered.

TheMexicanSpider

I was having problems with this.

When ever i go to change the {Ramza} to something else,it does not let me save it.

I have found the {Ramza} texts in the PERSON section of the editor.

EDIT: it saves with out the {}. why? and will it work without?
"Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof."

Jumza

{Ramza} is in reference to actual events in the game, like when Ramza has in battle dialogue or whatever, not when Ramza appears in the text editor (does it even appear as {Ramza} in there?)
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

TheMexicanSpider

yea for a few lines in the person tab. In the Unit Name tab it does not though.
"Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof."

TheMexicanSpider

I changed the Unit Name Ramzas and it changed the default name but idk if i need to change the {Ramza}s in the Person tab. If i dont will it effect the game and cause errors?

Jumza

The only thing I could think of is the game incorrectly displaying Ramza in some places. You should test it out if you have the time :)

Xifanie

I honestly don't know if it's in Tactext or not. The way I did it was opening the SCUS in a hex editor, searching for Ramza in hex which is 1B24303D24, then replace it by what I wanted.
You can find the hex values associated to each character on this page
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

TheMexicanSpider

Well thank you to both of you! I will try both and will get back to you both.