• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:32:34 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

The Esper/Lucavi Thread, Shemhazai, Mateus, Famfrit.

Started by Smash, July 04, 2010, 06:39:04 pm

Smash

Also, everyone

Lijj And I have traded espers. He'll take care of Shemhazai and I'll take Mateus

This because Mateus' design is undergoing changes. Will update

LastingDawn

Quote from: "Voldemort"Her hands don't go into either gauntlet...

Ah, Voldemort. We discussed this on IRC a bit of time ago, but we strayed from that design considerably and used something more akin to...

While not a great piece of art, it has some interesting themes, and one part that you can tell is mistake but is a pretty interesting idea that employs the equality of control that Mateus and Matoya share. Notice that one hand appears to be inside the right gauntlet? (which is no doubt just a mistake from this person's original concept. The original idea  we had in mind was to have one hand bound to Mateus while the other hand control the right gauntlet.Though the question was, would that be too difficult to sprite.
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

R999

@LastingDawn: It's not difficult but it is difficult in the sense that it is hard to make such a pose looking natural, while preserving the 4 armored arms of Mateus himself. I think Smash is going with a design that is even more simplified that has less armor and more inline with the rest of the game's Lucavi. (And even in this illustration, I see both her arms bounded no?)

LastingDawn

Quote from: "R999"@LastingDawn: It's not difficult but it is difficult in the sense that it is hard to make such a pose looking natural, while preserving the 4 armored arms of Mateus himself. I think Smash is going with a design that is even more simplified that has less armor and more inline with the rest of the game's Lucavi. (And even in this illustration, I see both her arms bounded no?)

Yes, but you can tell from the picture that Originally the artist wanted one of her hands controlling a gauntlet (you can still see the arm clear as day), before they decided to go with the more traditional look.
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

Archael

actually, LD, you're wrong

the woman's 2 hands are in the correct position in this art

see them up there?

then the two armored gauntlets are where they have always been - coming out of her back

there is no hand going into the gauntlets in this or any art of mateus

that 3rd circle (lower right) is not one of the woman's hands.. it's the same as the other side, just in a lowered position

Quote from: "LastingDawn"The original idea  we had in mind was to have one hand bound to Mateus while the other hand control the right gauntlet.Though the question was, would that be too difficult to sprite.

^ I see no point to this

it's not how the real esper is like and seems like an arbitrary contradiction with no good reason

also it will look akward, because you're STILL going to have the other armored gauntlet coming out of her back, while the other is used by the womans hands? positioning would be totally off (one shoulder on totally different placement than the other) and look terrible

Mateus has FOUR arms total

with your proposed change, she'd have 3, and look even more confusing than she does now

Smash

Nevermind all that. I got the design sketched up already. My old scanner has shit quality and this was lightly drawn too, but it should show the general shape.

[attachment=0:1nxeob22]Screen shot 2010-07-12 at 8.57.35 PM.png[/attachment:1nxeob22]

Better version edit.

Smash

Pencil render progress. (New scan)

[attachment=0:2s7z7fxz]Mateus progress.png[/attachment:2s7z7fxz]

R999

That looks pretty nice Smash!

By the way, I think we should start a new thread for each Lucavi when we work on them again in the future (though probably not for a little while). This thread is starting to get crowded and things are getting lost. Use this thread to link to the others in the first post.

One for Mateus, one for Famfrit, one for Shemhazai, one for Chaos.