• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Just getting started with the TEST.EVT file

Started by urikkiru, October 30, 2007, 03:00:53 pm

urikkiru

October 30, 2007, 03:00:53 pm Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by urikkiru
Greetings. I found this project, and decided I'd try my hand at some editing work on the main plot. Of course, this involves me trying to figure out the contents of that file. I found the 'FFT Investigative Project' page(by Greerga) and snagged some of the linux utils he had worked on. Using the fft2pc app, I was able to convert the TEST.EVT file into something vaguely useable as a reference point.

It's not a complete understanding, but it's given me a start. I've been able to alter the text of a person's name in the dialogue when Balbanes is on his deathbed. I did this by using a save state, and then editing that. However, the same should work on the actual TEST.EVT file.(more testing on that later) Oh, and I've come to understand the 0xFE byte(end of text), and have been able to make Balbanes last words a muttering of gibberish.(Well, actually it's part of the same event text, just it's unused text, which is a fragment of a different event. No idea why it's in that event. Oh well)

Anyway, here's some images links just for fun.

karsten

October 31, 2007, 03:21:21 am #1 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by karsten
have a chat with zodiac. he figured out how to mess with text, screens, and such

urikkiru

October 31, 2007, 09:34:17 am #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by urikkiru
Ah really? That would be handy. Each text event has this block of header data, which I don't know what it is. The ff2pc app says it's katakana/kanji, but I think it's way off. My personal belief was that it was control codes for the varying text window positions or some such. Anyway, if Zodiac knows about that header data already, that would be way cool :) I'll add his IM handle to my contact list, and try to catch him online.