• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:52:04 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

The VK patch! Come and help us!

Started by karsten, March 14, 2008, 05:29:48 am

VincentCraven

March 18, 2008, 08:08:22 am #40 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by VincentCraven
I say all Blue Mage abilities be learnable Blue Mage style only.   Wildbow monster skill as Ultima2 is a HUGE step up from Please Eat. Still, I only said Ultima2 because I thought Blue Mage should have access to one of the last boss's skills. Or we could put on another really rare skill? If you need that slot to be used for something else, by all means.

But if you end up with an open slot...
I changed jobs and that has made all the difference.

Asmo X

March 18, 2008, 08:54:26 am #41 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Asmo X
I wonder if you could make a simple "Provoke" skill. All you'd have to do is flag the caster as "critical". Then the enemies would turn on him, right? Not relevant to Blue Mage or anything but for a Knight or something maybe?

Austin

March 18, 2008, 03:30:20 pm #42 Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 04:15:49 pm by Austin
Maybe we should just use giga flare instead? It needs to be weaker than it was in the sigma patch though. As for blade grasp it really just needs to be gotten rid of. We already have weapon guard and abandon for increasing evasion and those work just fine, so there isn't much point in trying to fix blade grasp anyways.
  • Modding version: PSX

huthutchuck

March 18, 2008, 03:49:00 pm #43 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by huthutchuck
I agree with gigaflare being top dog.  Blue Mage needs no more powerful abilities.  Blue Mage will be cheap with either gather power or Ultima 2 before the end.  The ultima that I believe need to be addressed is the first one.  Unless it was changed in Sigma, it was totally useless in the original.  No spell that hard to get should be that weak.  Maybe it can be changed to a spell for another class?

Austin

March 18, 2008, 04:14:39 pm #44 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Austin
I assume you mean Ramza's ultima right? If so then yeah it was powered up slightly from 23 to 26 whereas lvl 3 black magic is at 21 and lvl 4 is at 28, so I think that's good enough. Even though it is hard to get we don't want Ramza going around blowing everything up with it.

Xifanie

March 18, 2008, 04:42:22 pm #45 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
We don't? That's the ONLY spell in his skillset. Plus he has not much good MA multiplier, and equipping Guts for just Ultima as a Black Mage is a waste of time.

Seriously
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Austin

March 18, 2008, 05:01:56 pm #46 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Austin
That's the point, he's not supposed to be super great with it. It's just a long range move he can use to hit an enemy or two for decent damage whenever he isn't close enough to do anything else. You can change it if you want, but I thought it did well enough, especially if you equip a genji gauntlet and a rune blade or two.

NeedsMoreNoise

March 18, 2008, 05:04:50 pm #47 Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 01:40:38 am by NeedsMoreNoise
Concerning the Necromancer dilemma:

For now, why don't you just make it so the Necromancer can use a spell that acts as Raise (or Raise 2), that also Charms or Invites , casts Berserk, and gives the unit the status effect Undead? Hell, maybe it'd be possible to turn off the "Reverse Undead"-thing for the spell, so you could raise the already Undead.

Together with some attack spells/status-inflicting spells (Zombie/Blood Suck), an intrinsic Resist Undead and Resist Blood Suck, it could be a very playable class, while sticking strictly to the necromancer archetype. It might be a little too unbalanced to be in the job roster, though, so maybe make it a Special one.

Some specifics:
  • Job name: Necromancer; skill set name: Seid
  • Oracle-like growth, but with a lesser HP growth.
  • Able to equip Dictionaries, Robes, Clothes, and Hats.
  • Intrinsics: Half Dark, Weak to Holy, Resist Zombie, Resist Blood Suck
  • Possible skills:
    • Spawn Undead: Like Raise, but the target becomes *Undead and [Charmed/Invited]. This can also be used to revive the already Undead.
    • Spawn Undead 2: Like Spawn Undead, but the target is also *Berserked. This can also be used to revive the already Undead.
    • Spawn Vampire: Like Raise, but the target is also *[Charmed/Invited] and Blood Sucked.
    • Dark Ritual: Weapon-based attack that, if successful, also casts Regen on the Necromancer. (If not possible, replace with Drain Touch).
    • Dark Holy
    • Dark Whisper (I've yet to see this used, but the name fits the skill set xd).
    • Look of Fright
    • Nightmare
    • Maybe more?
  • Ecclesiastical necromancer sprite for male, and more Vodun-oriented/lesser clothed necromancer sprite for female.
"*" = If possible, could either two or three new status effects be implemented that are just made up of others, for cleanliness' sake? For example, Spawn Undead's status effects would all be combined into one entitiled "Spawn".

trickstardude7

March 18, 2008, 06:07:27 pm #48 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by trickstardude7
this is random but you should make a dictionary that causes blood suck so theres a reason to use books

Austin

March 18, 2008, 06:28:12 pm #49 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Austin
In the sigma patch all the dictionaries have increased range, wp, and a status effect tacked on, so they're actually pretty good now.

Zozma

March 18, 2008, 07:22:45 pm #50 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
i didnt read all the posts but you could just get rid of all the ladies bags and make higher level weapons.

i created some more harps and axes
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
Wiegraf: Draw your sword Ramza!
Ramza: But im a monk!!

huthutchuck

March 18, 2008, 08:09:28 pm #51 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by huthutchuck
Bravo to the riddance of bags.  They are useless.  But this feminine item makes me ask a question.  Is the sexual predisposition still there?  By that I mean that a female character tends to gain more MA than a male character and males tend to gain more PA than a female character.  If it is there, is it possible to remove?

Austin

March 18, 2008, 08:15:36 pm #52 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Austin
Quote from: "Zozma"i didnt read all the posts but you could just get rid of all the ladies bags and make higher level weapons.

i created some more harps and axes

This really sounds like a good idea, especially since there's only 3 axes in the whole game. And yes the differences between males and females are still there, but I don't know if that can be changed. I don't really want it to though since its the only reason i'd bother to use a female in the first place. The male sprites are just so much cooler.

Zozma

March 18, 2008, 08:45:03 pm #53 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
females get too much extra stuff anyway im all about being even. plus Ill be creating a berzerker class which will be a male character that uses axes... and in my patch the axes use damage formula 2D (PA*WP+Y)
 because for some reason formula 1 as an axe sucks because of the randomness on damage.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
Wiegraf: Draw your sword Ramza!
Ramza: But im a monk!!

Xifanie

March 18, 2008, 09:17:57 pm #54 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
Dictionarities contains lots of wordies, so IMO it should cause many bad statuses.

Madlemgen (sp?) could become a killer weapon like the other rare ones, without causing too much damage.

Wizard rods needs ALL to cast some spell, except the first one. I'm pretty sure even BM with 4 PA are stronger barehanded than when wielding a rod.
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

NeedsMoreNoise

March 18, 2008, 10:41:24 pm #55 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by NeedsMoreNoise
My Necromancer post is finished, now (maybe 6-7 posts up).

Also, this question may have already been answered, but I'm very new to FFTPatcher: Is it possible to change skill names with it? Also, do I need a separate tool to make it possible to play the finished .BIN file, because I get an error message along the lines of "Can't locate .cue file" when I try to load the .BIN with the PSX emulator?

huthutchuck

March 19, 2008, 01:02:37 am #56 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by huthutchuck
How about the mace of zeus, which is I believe to be the ultimate rod;  Give it alot of elemental strengthens ala 108 gems.  Right now it gives 2PA and 1MA (unless changed in sigma).  What good does +2PA do for a MA based weapon.

I like the Necro being resistant to dark, but it is weak against holy, which all white spells are now holy elemental; will white magic actually do damage to that character or will the spell be boosted or diminished?  Also I like the thought of necro's having books.  Just imagine one carrying a necronomicon.

Alot of thought is put into the nerfing of Samurai and Ninja.  What about letting them be who they are but making them a special class.  Those classes wouldn't seem so overpowered if you only have one.

NeedsMoreNoise

March 19, 2008, 01:32:30 am #57 Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 01:54:39 am by NeedsMoreNoise
Quote from: "huthutchuck"I like the Necro being resistant to dark, but it is weak against holy, which all white spells are now holy elemental; will white magic actually do damage to that character or will the spell be boosted or diminished?  Also I like the thought of necro's having books.  Just imagine one carrying a necronomicon.
Ah, didn't realize that all the Cure spells are Holy-based, now. The Necromancer's healing potential would be ridiculously high, then. Also, giving them the innate Undead status isn't a great idea, either, since Necromancers by definition, are not undead, themselves.

A Necronomicon would be an amazing complement to the class, too. It could strengthen the Dark element, prevent Faith, and maybe have a chance to cast Aspel when used to attack.

A couple more book ideas:
  • Grimoire (Adds to MA; can inflict Frog)
  • Tome of the Heart (Can inflict Charm)

huthutchuck

March 19, 2008, 01:43:24 am #58 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by huthutchuck
Good idea.  By the way Dark Whisper is currently a blue mage technique in Sigma, but it can easily be replaced.  Think of it as a dark elemental truth spell in that it's random but does very little damage.  The catch is that it is similar to crush punch.  Any hit has a possibility of adding:dead.

karsten

March 19, 2008, 03:20:12 am #59 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by karsten
interesting points, really. let's keep up spawning such ideas!

and yes, bags are perfect weapons to be taken away :)

maybe adding a bow that gives always haste or adds to speed...

by the way, let's keep this great work going and later we'll have to start making decisions for the firstversion of the patch, right vincent?