• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 12:29:20 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Palettes & Joining

Started by Lydyn, May 23, 2008, 07:54:00 pm

Lydyn

May 23, 2008, 07:54:00 pm Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Lydyn
Event 188, where all your units are at the military school at the beginning ... they're all marked as 'Join after Event.' So I wanted to change their palettes some and such and it works perfectly in the actual cut-scene, but once they join and your setting up to battle and actually go into battle ... their palettes revert back to #1.

Does anyone know a way around this or anything? It'd be nice to have different colored classes on your side.

gojoe

May 23, 2008, 07:59:13 pm #1 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by gojoe
all i can tell you is switch it on the actual sprite
I never learn from my mistakes.

melonhead

May 23, 2008, 11:28:54 pm #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by melonhead
Quote from: "Lydyn"Event 188, where all your units are at the military school at the beginning ... they're all marked as 'Join after Event.' So I wanted to change their palettes some and such and it works perfectly in the actual cut-scene, but once they join and your setting up to battle and actually go into battle ... their palettes revert back to #1.

Does anyone know a way around this or anything? It'd be nice to have different colored classes on your side.

Someone else might know better, but I think that units in your party will always have the same palette (blue, I think). If there is a special unit in an event, you can set its team color FOR THAT EVENT ONLY.

Lydyn

May 24, 2008, 01:54:50 am #3 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Lydyn
Hm. Oh well, it'd be nice to figure out how to change that.

Zozma

May 24, 2008, 09:27:21 pm #4 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
this "team color" thing... can it change specials in the events......
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
Wiegraf: Draw your sword Ramza!
Ramza: But im a monk!!

Cheetah

May 25, 2008, 02:16:35 pm #5 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
I believe it is set that friendly units have the standard first palette because that is the only palette option available to be shown in the UNIT.BIN. So I think it is just the default that your team members are palette 1 and enemies can be any other palette. You could easily change what palette 1 is, but all units on your team in that job will look the same.

I wonder if there is some palette limit related to the game, just like there is a sprite and unique units limit?

I would love to be able to do this too. But I'm not sure how feasible it is if having lots of different palettes on the same job would excede what the game can handle. Figure that out and then maybe there can be solutions around increasing the number and assignments of palettes in the UNIT.BIN and going from there.
Current Projects:

Zozma

May 25, 2008, 11:21:58 pm #6 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
by the way i used a sixth palette once as a test, to make all the generics uniforms match rudvich's green outfit in the fight where u rescue mustadio and his father.... but when they crystalized or turned into a treasure chest the colors were all screwy... (the game tried to set the crystal or chest's color palette to the sixth one and there isnt space in the other.spr to add crystal and chest color palettes in :(

unless team color makes it so the crystal is one of the first 5 then the only way to hide this bug is to set each character with a palette past 5 to "immortal" status :/
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
Wiegraf: Draw your sword Ramza!
Ramza: But im a monk!!