• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 01:14:37 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

I want to do something very simple - FFT PSX retranslation

Started by DarknessSavior, May 06, 2008, 02:30:08 pm

DarknessSavior

May 06, 2008, 02:30:08 pm Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by DarknessSavior
I found the text editor that came with the latest FFT Patcher to be a wonderful tool. I'm a romhacker as is, but the ability to edit just about anything in one of my favorite RPGs is a godsend.

I recently went through all of the action abilities and job classes and translated them from the original Japanese (with the help from the Script forum on RHDN). I want to insert this into the US PSX ISO.

I made an ISO using Alcohol 120% of the legal copy I own. It plays fine.

So I went through, edited everything, and went to reinsert the files into the ISO and make a new one. CDMage wouldn't work. I had another tool laying around that would do it, but then the ISO itself didn't even start!

Is there any particular reason why, or can someone help me to achieve the simple goal?

Thanks,

~DS

Lydyn

May 06, 2008, 02:33:50 pm #1 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Lydyn
Mostly what you need to remember is to keep the Byte length about the same, only going about 5-10 bytes over the original size at max (though it's risky to even do this), but I suggest keeping it exactly the same if possible.

Also, there's been various bug reports with WORLD.BIN and a couple with BATTLE.BIN, as the Text Editor is not at all perfected yet. WORLD.BIN won't really even world for the most part, unless you want to take the time to fine-tune it and see what works ... though there's some things like Job Descriptions on the Job Wheel that just won't work, period as far as I know.

In short, the text editor is more of a beta, so don't except to edit all the text in the game and have it work perfectly.