• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 06:56:11 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Sidequest Ideas (31/40)

Started by LastingDawn, July 11, 2009, 05:10:46 pm

mav

July 20, 2009, 01:28:06 pm #60 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by mav
Hot damn, that was a good one, Eternal. Hurray for throwbacks!

Eternal

July 20, 2009, 01:36:33 pm #61 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Eternal248
Yeah, for some reason F&M always stuck with me from V, even though they weren't major characters.
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

beawulfx

July 20, 2009, 01:56:49 pm #62 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by beawulfx
Long one, sorry about that, haha, I was inspired by Eternal and had a lot of fun with this one.

Duncan's Disciples
Chapter 2 or 3?
Activation: Walking through Fovoham [But really, the windmill shed is the battle map!]

The mercenaries are passing by the Windmill Shed [Duncan's Cabin] when they encounter three Monks. The two weaker looking Monks are currently training with one another while their Master,  Duncan lectures them on their form. He praises young Sabin for doing well, and his son Vargas shows his jealousy through biting remarks towards Sabin.

The monks spot the party walking through and Duncan sees a perfect opportunity to train his disciples against a new enemy. He comments on how the Mercenaries look very powerful and asks if they would help the brawlers in their training (I thought about him just initiating the battle but I think Duncan seemed like a nice guy, probably wouldn't do that...).

The party is a little reluctant but Gafgarion inquires as to what's in it for them. Duncan offers a reward should the Mercenaries best them (be it cash, or some rare claws, armor, whatever you think!) in battle.

Gafgarion comments on how the two young disciples look like they shouldn't be too much trouble and agrees to the battle. Vargas replies in an aggressive manner about how he will prove to his father that he is superior to Sabin and more worthy of being his successor and Sabin comments on how this is an opportunity to better himself and further his training. Duncan enters the battle as well in order to show his pupils how a Master fights.

Enemy Units (I don't care about the levels/abilities, the point is just to show that Duncan is much better than his two apprentices, and that Vargas and Sabin are relatively equal in ability)

1x Sabin Figaro [Party level +5 monk]
1x Vargas Harcourt [Party level +5 monk]
1x Duncan Harcourt [Party level +15 monk]

When the party wins the battle Vargas says something snide about how they just got lucky and Duncan scolds his behaviour. He hands over the reward and thanks the Mercenaries for their help.

As the party walks away Sabin stops Ramza and says he senses a kindred spirit (since they are indeed both running away from their status/nobility) and asks if Ramza has traveled far and abroad. Ramza says that they have been traveling a long while. Sabin asks if they have come to a land called Figaro and met a man named Edgar? Ramza replies that unfortunately they have not and Sabin is disheartened.

Sabin thanks the party for everything and wishes them well on their journey. (I thought about throwing in a line like "well if you see him, tell him his brother is doing well" or something but that's kinda cheesy, heh heh. Of course we know Ramza never would meet Edgar, hence his surprise at seeing Sabin alive and well in FFVI, so the line could still work if you like it!)
My FFT 1.3030 videos can be found at; http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... 18EFFEA0AD
My FFT: Mercenaries videos can be found at; http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... 174F169EE5
My FFV Random Class Challenge videos can be found at; http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... C9F3BD69BF

LastingDawn

July 20, 2009, 02:02:34 pm #63 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Quote from: "mav"
Quote from: "LastingDawn"
Hmm... this is a tricky one to decide on, personally I dislike using the same ideas again and again, but on the other hand it does offer another chance at Longibunne... I think a different gimmick, would be best, but I can't think of what... do you happen to have any idea for it?

QuoteYou know...I noticed a lot of these sidequests are chances at gaining an awesome item (like the Longibunne)...what if losing a battle meant losing an awesome item? As in, you won the Longibunne once, now you gotta defend it. It's a bitch slap to the person playing, but it ups the stakes, right?

There is a way, but it's a bit... complicated, as there is no event instruction to receive or take away an item, I would have to be creative with it... I would have to make a scenario that when Ramza falls another event plays out, that brings him back wth 1 HP, but forces the Longibunne to be equipped to him, and shut out Equip Change, then also change the enemy to have a skill which breaks a weapon 100% and damages, basically guaranteeing failure after you've fallen. But I'm not sure if a stuck on Longibunne through the ENTD would count fully as the Longibunne item, that would need a bit of testing. Of course, I can easily just end the game if you lose.

Chapter 3

Ghostly Remnants

Town

Walk to designated area

Description: Rumors about ghostly figures appering (insert place here) have been going around...this wouldnt be to much of a problem if it werent for the fact that deaths have been happening at that place...

mission: find out what is need to know and take care of the problem whether real or not.

Event: In this event youll seek the desired info then when you are at the location you start by ramza talking to some civilian...suddeny figures appear...you mission is a choice from here...to get people to safety or find the reason at hand.
[/spoiler]

Hmm, that is an interesting idea... A very interesting idea! But as this is your idea, may I ask you to decide what you would like done, as a consequence of the two choices? This is quite an idea though, I personally look forward to the conclusion!

Chapter 2

Choose, life or Gil

Activation- After chapter 2 starts, and Dorter is open.

Dorter City

Event- Ramza and co. enter the city and see a bounty. The bounty is on a dragon who went on a rampage.

Sweegy woods

You find the dragon with another lancer/dragoon. Some dialog in sues and the lancer begs to let the dragon go. Prompt Ramza and co. whether to let go or fight.

Let go = Ramza and co. walk away with lancer thankful (something happens later in the game)

Fight = Ramza and co. fights the dragon and lancer and (when winning) collects bounty. Its just gil. The later event does not happen.
[/spoiler]

Ouch, what a decision... that is a bit of a difficult one, hehe... but it adds emotional depth, which Mercenaries is (hopefully) in no short supply, I like it, it makes you feel as if you have a measure of control over events. Though unless it's not a real "bounty", it would have to be an item (hence the whole of the ticket system), that is unless it's one of the Gil Items, How about... a 50/50 chance between, a Pot o' Gold and a Gold Sword? Though I'm not pretty curious to know the add-on to this particular quest

QuoteHere goes another one

Chapter 2-3

Poisoned food

Gariland

Event- Ramza and Rad were walking by the street, when head of the village asks them for help.

Conditions for winning: Kill all malboros or take all the food (they can be held in boxes, if there is no sprite, then chests)

Killing malboros- you get big amount of gil and armor "malboro skin"
Take food- you get small amount of gil and town treasure "Sorceror winsdom"(rod)

And tell me please, will there be Mustadio in Mercenaries, if yes I have an idea for sidequest with Besrodio and his son

Well, eh heh... choosing time for items, ended a bit of time ago, but we have a lot of items, just check over at the "Equipment in Mercenaries" thread. Though this is an interesting event and will make good use of the panel based events, which are in short supply in the normal game. Mustadio is in Mercenaries but... his relationship with the party is purely story, he's doing too many different things at different times to associate in sidequests (it's the equivalent of putting Lavian, Alicia, or Agrias into one of them).

Love's Lost Labors
Any Chapter, I suppose

Ramza and co. enter Dorter and encounters a young lady who asks them if they've encountered a young man by the name of Rangar. Ramza responds that they haven't seen him. The woman worries that he's been kidnapped and asks the party to help find him. Gafgarion demands payment, and the woman mentions that she is one of "Dorter's Wealthiest". The lady mentions that he was last seen heading towards Sweegy Woods. She asks the party to look there.

At Sweegy, Ramza and co. see a man acting suspicious. They come up to him, and a trap is activated. The man reveals that he is Forza, a bounty hunter. He states that his wife, Magissa, tricks people into entering the woods so that he can ambush them and steal their goods. Magissa enters the area, and seeing Ramza's gil pouch, exclaims how rich they'll both be.

Gafgarion then enters the area and frees Ramza and co. from the trap. Forza and Magissa then notice the escaped party and begin to battle.

Enemy Units
1x Forza (Berserker) (Monk with high ATK, HP, and Speed)
1x Magissa (Enchantress) (Oracle with high level debuffs and moderate level elemental magic)
2x Archer
2x Thief

After the battle is over, Gafgarion scolds Ramza on how easily manipulated he is.

Whoa! Talk about a great throwback, the bounty hunters, Forza and Magissa, they seemed as if they were going to play a competent challenge to the party, a shame that they're dead after one battle, they could have been much more interesting, but I guess there's no use in complaining with that. Only thing I can't say I like 100% about this is the exposition when the actions of the characters make that pretty clear. This event can actually occur when you have over a certain amount of gil, if you'd like (0-65,535), it would make a bit more sense, rather then Magissa exclaiming about Ramza's money pouch when he has... 500 gil. Looks great though! Is this a chain, or is it just a single quest?

QuoteDuncan's Disciples
Chapter 2 or 3?
Activation: Walking through Fovoham [But really, the windmill shed is the battle map!]

The mercenaries are passing by the Windmill Shed [Duncan's Cabin] when they encounter three Monks. The two weaker looking Monks are currently training with one another while their Master, Duncan lectures them on their form. He praises young Sabin for doing well, and his son Vargas shows his jealousy through biting remarks towards Sabin.

The monks spot the party walking through and Duncan sees a perfect opportunity to train his disciples against a new enemy. He comments on how the Mercenaries look very powerful and asks if they would help the brawlers in their training (I thought about him just initiating the battle but I think Duncan seemed like a nice guy, probably wouldn't do that...).

The party is a little reluctant but Gafgarion inquires as to what's in it for them. Duncan offers a reward should the Mercenaries best them (be it cash, or some rare claws, armor, whatever you think!) in battle.

Gafgarion comments on how the two young disciples look like they shouldn't be too much trouble and agrees to the battle. Vargas replies in an aggressive manner about how he will prove to his father that he is superior to Sabin and more worthy of being his successor and Sabin comments on how this is an opportunity to better himself and further his training. Duncan enters the battle as well in order to show his pupils how a Master fights.

Enemy Units (I don't care about the levels/abilities, the point is just to show that Duncan is much better than his two apprentices, and that Vargas and Sabin are relatively equal in ability)

1x Sabin Figaro [Party level +5 monk]
1x Vargas Harcourt [Party level +5 monk]
1x Duncan Harcourt [Party level +15 monk]

When the party wins the battle Vargas says something snide about how they just got lucky and Duncan scolds his behaviour. He hands over the reward and thanks the Mercenaries for their help.

As the party walks away Sabin stops Ramza and says he senses a kindred spirit (since they are indeed both running away from their status/nobility) and asks if Ramza has traveled far and abroad. Ramza says that they have been traveling a long while. Sabin asks if they have come to a land called Figaro and met a man named Edgar? Ramza replies that unfortunately they have not and Sabin is disheartened.

Sabin thanks the party for everything and wishes them well on their journey. (I thought about throwing in a line like "well if you see him, tell him his brother is doing well" or something but that's kinda cheesy, heh heh. Of course we know Ramza never would meet Edgar, hence his surprise at seeing Sabin alive and well in FFVI, so the line could still work if you like it!)
[/spoiler]

Simply a shame that we can't get custom sprites, for any of these three, though I suppose the Berserker sprite would work for Vargas, but what of Duncan? His child's black, but we never see Duncan himself and his wife is white. I can only assume that means Duncan himself is black as well, would be nice to have a custom sprite of him and Sabin, but eh well... a special palette for the Monk might just be able to pull that off for Sabin. The ending is fitting, though a bit of a mind trip... does that mean the world of FF6 is right over there in Romanda? Bah, it's just a little nod, no harm meant. In any case, how does the Survivor sound as a reward from the quest?

Looking great everyone! This pace is fantastic!
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

Eternal

July 20, 2009, 02:15:42 pm #64 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Eternal248
Nice VI reference, Beowulf. I actually just thought of another sidequest, myself, actually.

Vagrant of Twilit Mercy
Last Chapter

Ramza enters Deep Dungeon after the defeat of Elidibus. At the top of the platform in END, a man teleports into the area.

Enigmatic Man:
Ah, 'tis you, Darkbane. At long last have I come to see the mercy of Light's liberation!

Ramza:
Who are you? What purpose have you in this forlorn island?

Enigmatic Man:
I do not fear the Dark, nor do I herald the Light. I am... a shadow. A shadow forged by the brightest light, and I am the darkest shadow. A walker of the nether, if you will.

Ramza:
I sense... nothingness. But, it's the same feeling I felt when I defeated Elidibus...

Enigmatic Man:
I am Dammerung, keeper of Midlight's Deep, watcher of these haunted flights! The Hero-Mage surrounded this island in his unholy darkness. Freed now from that torment, I shall free you from your flesh, that you may never know the same power as He!

Then, the battle begins.

Enemy Units
Dammerung x1 (Twilight Walker*)

Dammerung:
My defeat is nigh, but you... are different. I sense in you... an urgency. You rush to your death. But as a bull rushes through a forest, trees rent, you rush through ought that is wrong in Ivalice. But... death is a paling to stop all. Even the most noble of endeavors...

Ramza:
I do what I can, 'tis the Beoulve name!

Dammerung:
Names... mean naught in the eyes of the lady Death! Know this... there are... (dies)

Ramza:
What is this place? Why do the spirits of the strong gather here...? Mayhap I shall never know. (Ramza leaves)

*The Twilight Walker could have spells like Banish, Terror, and All-Ultima just to make him nigh impossible to defeat. Invincibility, FTW!

I suppose if you did win, you could get the Black Materia or something of the sort. It just kinda keeps the air of mystery about Midlight's Deep.

As far as F&M are concerned, I would kinda like it to be a chain. They could get revenge of some sort. After all, you never actually see them die...
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"

LastingDawn

July 20, 2009, 02:23:21 pm #65 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Quote from: "Eternal248"Nice VI reference, Beowulf. I actually just thought of another sidequest, myself, actually.

Vagrant of Twilit Mercy
Last Chapter

Ramza enters Deep Dungeon after the defeat of Elidibus. At the top of the platform in END, a man teleports into the area.

Enigmatic Man:
Ah, 'tis you, Darkbane. At long last have I come to see the mercy of Light's liberation!

Ramza:
Who are you? What purpose have you in this forlorn island?

Enigmatic Man:
I do not fear the Dark, nor do I herald the Light. I am... a shadow. A shadow forged by the brightest light, and I am the darkest shadow. A walker of the nether, if you will.

Ramza:
I sense... nothingness. But, it's the same feeling I felt when I defeated Elidibus...

Enigmatic Man:
I am Dammerung, keeper of Midlight's Deep, watcher of these haunted flights! The Hero-Mage surrounded this island in his unholy darkness. Freed now from that torment, I shall free you from your flesh, that you may never know the same power as He!

Then, the battle begins.

Enemy Units
Dammerung x1 (Twilight Walker*)

Dammerung:
My defeat is nigh, but you... are different. I sense in you... an urgency. You rush to your death. But as a bull rushes through a forest, trees rent, you rush through ought that is wrong in Ivalice. But... death is a paling to stop all. Even the most noble of endeavors...

Ramza:
I do what I can, 'tis the Beoulve name!

Dammerung:
Names... mean naught in the eyes of the lady Death! Know this... there are... (dies)

Ramza:
What is this place? Why do the spirits of the strong gather here...? Mayhap I shall never know. (Ramza leaves)

*The Twilight Walker could have spells like Banish, Terror, and All-Ultima just to make him nigh impossible to defeat. Invincibility, FTW!

I suppose if you did win, you could get the Black Materia or something of the sort. It just kinda keeps the air of mystery about Midlight's Deep.

As far as F&M are concerned, I would kinda like it to be a chain. They could get revenge of some sort. After all, you never actually see them die...

Eh heh... it's not quite Elidibs you fight at the bottom of the Deep Dungeon in Mercenaries, while it is an interesting idea (is this fellow from another game?) it's hard to say if it could work optimally, though I can't really reveal who you fight at the bottom, as it's a surprise. I think it might be best to leave most Deep Dungeon dealings alone for the moment. Alright, if you'd like a chain, just say how long you'd like it to go for and make additions to it as needed.

Art of War

Eternal

July 20, 2009, 02:39:39 pm #66 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Eternal248
Well, for F&M, I'd like about 3 bouts with them.

The first could be in the mission I detailed above.

The second could be at Lenalia Plateau. The hunter couples are attempting to poach a Dragon and Ramza and his PETA ways attempt to stop them.

Enemy Units
1x Forza (Berserker)
1x Magissa (Enchantress)
2x Chemist (at top of hill with guns)
1x Ninja (with Use Hand)
1x Thief (with Use Hand)

Guest Units
1x Dragon

The third (and last) time you face them is at Zirekile Falls after reading a Rumor:

"Monster hunters are gathering everywhere at this, the beginning of egg-laying season! Unisex monsters everywhere are hatching new babies, so what better time to poach 'em? Interested parties are being asked to come to Zirekile Falls if they are interested."

Ramza, once again going into Righteous Mode, decides to go to Zirekile and give the hunters a good talking to! Once Ramza enters the area, he is struck by a poison arrow, causing him to be poisoned at the start of the battle.

Magissa reveals that the rumor was a trap, and that it was to get Ramza out into the open to kill him, once and for all. Ramza comments on how life, no matter how menial, is still important. (Hypocrite, you kill monsters AND people) He then goes into battle.

Enemy Units
1x Forza (Berserker)
1x Magissa (Enchantress)
2x Assassin
1x Mediator
2x Sorceror

After the battle, we see Ramza, Forza, and Magissa at the top of the falls. Magissa, refusing to die at the hands of "an environmentally conscious ragamuffin" jumps off the falls, to her death. (The player sees her corpse)

Forza, knowing only how to obey his wife, decides that if she jumps off a waterfall, so should he. You then see him jump and die. Ramza then finds a Goliath Bread on Forza's corpse, and a Yggdrasil Mistletoe on Magissa's body. Ramza leaves the Falls, lamenting how people who kill are destined to but one destiny- to be killed.

beawulfx

July 20, 2009, 03:04:24 pm #67 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by beawulfx
LD, Survivor is a good reward! I hope that it wasn't too much of a mind trip by throwing that in there, I'm not sure how you feel about cross overs like that with other games and I don't wanna confuse by implying it as anything other than a nice reference for fans of the Final Fantasy series. I just tried to think of something that we've never directly seen before, only had implied through conversation in FFVI, and then allowing the player a glimpse into those events through that sidequest.

How do you feel about references to other games though LD? I could probably think of some other ones, but I don't wanna over do it. I find it hard to come up with side quests that are completely original and find it fun to write about my fond memories from older games.
My FFT 1.3030 videos can be found at; http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... 18EFFEA0AD
My FFT: Mercenaries videos can be found at; http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... 174F169EE5
My FFV Random Class Challenge videos can be found at; http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... C9F3BD69BF

beawulfx

July 20, 2009, 03:32:02 pm #68 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by beawulfx
Well I made up one more regardless, this one though is totally just a reference, they are just a gang not the actual kingdom and I don't want it to seem like it is actually them, whereas Sabin obviously was much more true to his character in game.

EDIT: I tried to add some more 'character development/involvement' in an edit, but I don't know if it fits the characters/is really that great, it was kind of rushed, but if you like it let me know, if not, leave it out!

Quest: Save the Mysidians!
Chapter 2 or 3?
Activition: Is there a way to set it so the party can take on a quest to protect somebody? Like a notice posted at a bar asking for the help of strong travelers to defend them? If so then the party will see this call for help from a community of wandering mages who call themselves the 'Mysidians'. They are an ancient group of men and women tasked to protect their ancestors treasure (the Water Crystal, but doesn't have to be explicitly stated). Lately a gang of Mercenaries named the 'Red Wings' have been terrorizing them in order to steal their valued artifact. Thus they need they aid of a strong group to protect them.

The group could discuss the job. Rad mentions that he's heard of them and how they are a group dedicated to protecting a 'crystal' that was said to be of vast importance in ancient religions. Gafgarion is neutral on the idea aside from hearing about the promised reward. Ramza encourages the party to help them out, as he is tired of the weak being pushed around by those with strength. They decide to take the quest for different reasons; Rad wants more information the Mysidians, Gafgarion seeks the reward, and Ramza feels its important to protect those in need if one has the means to do so.

The party then heads to meet the Mysidians at Mandalia Plains [or wherever!] and they are discussing the recent attacks when the Wings arrive seeking the crystal once and for all!

The Red Wings and their gang leader 'King Baron' state they are not leaving without the crystal, and ask how many more lives the Mysidians will lose to protect it. Ramza and company prepare for battle, and a pair of brave Mysidians offer to help out.

Enemy Units [King should be a little stronger than Cecil/Kain, and Knights a little weaker than them]
1x Male Warder 'King Baron' [strong supporting unit]
1x Male EsperBlade 'Cecil' [equipped with Umbra if possible]
1x Male Dragoon 'Kain'
2x Male Knight

Guest Units
1x Mysidan Male Invoker [weaker than the party/enemies]
1x Mysidan Female Cantor [weaker than the party/enemies]

After defeating the Red Wings gang the Mysidians thank Ramza and co. and offer them their reward [not sure on what it should be, perhaps something related to magic though, a grimoire, staff, etc]. If you can keep the two guests alive then the reward should be greater [if this is possible!]. Rad then asks if they can tell him more about their groups history. As they began talking Gafgarion and Ramza stand aside and poke fun at Rad, and in a somewhat rare moment of truth Gafgarion admits that he too was happy to help them out. Ramza is quiet but pleased to hear it and Gafgarion (perhaps a bit embarassed) makes him swear not to tell Rad of this more tender moment.

If you want to have the Barons be killed in the battle that's fine, or if you want them to show up again in the future I can work something out too I'm sure! I can adjust the ending appropriately so that they can get back at the team, or Ramza and company can bump into them again, or whatever!

Also if you have ANY advice on improving further sidequests from me, let me know I would be glad to have it! I will probably create a few more for you if you like.

PX_Timefordeath

July 20, 2009, 04:51:00 pm #69 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by PX_Timefordeath
Zodiac dammit. Just when I was thinking of a FFIV reference, you have to post one right before me. Time to get started.

Defeat the Master IV(lame name)

Chapter 4

Read a rumor in Riovanes Castle about a group of 4 travelers challenging anybody to a match. They mention that it will be held in the month of Cancer(June-July) at... somewhere appropriate for a duel? When you enter the place, you see a lone knight with silver hair. He turns and greets you, introducing himself as Cecil. As Gaffgarion starts to comment about him being along, a dragoon suddenly lands behind the group in black/blue armor. A monk with a ponytail walks up from behind the dragoon and introduces the dragoon as Kain, and himself as Yang. Lastly, a summoner with green hair teleports in next to Cecil and stares around. She cheerfully introduces herself as Rydia. The introductions are held for the Mercenaries, then the match is off!

Battle:
Enemies:x4
Cecil: Party Level +10 Knight, only knows light skills. And white magic.
Kain: Party Level +10 Dragoon, jumps. For a lot.
Yang: Party Level +10 Monk, very powerful and supportive.
Rydia: Party Level +8 Summoner, very powerful summons.

When Cecil gets his second turn, however, he suddenly gets a headache and falls on one knee. The enemy party looks at him, asking if he's okay, when suddenly and evil aura comes out of Cecil. Suddenly, behind Cecil appears a Dark Knight, named Cecil?, with Party Level +20, and he's in a different team from everyone. The match continues, but with a 3rd enemy party. Battle ends when you defeat both enemy parties, or when Cecil? is defeated before your party is. Game over is Cecil? is the winner of the battle.

You win match: The enemy party thanks you for helping them defeat Cecil's dark past, and reward them with an appropriate weapon. Then they walk away from the party and never seen again.

You lose match: The enemy party thanks them for helping them defeat Cecil's dark past, and thanks them for a great match. They get a different reward, and then they walk away and are never seen again.

cold52

July 20, 2009, 05:29:27 pm #70 Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 05:30:55 pm by cold52
Quote from: "LastingDawn"Hmm, that is an interesting idea... A very interesting idea! But as this is your idea, may I ask you to decide what you would like done, as a consequence of the two choices? This is quite an idea though, I personally look forward to the conclusion!

Thanks...I have been told I can draw a crowd :P

now then theres three possible endings to this event...

1.GPS (choice 1 end 1)
the people are happy having gotten to safety the give you gold (amount of people saved changes award amount...if there all saved get weapon example:honor Sword...no reward accepted if ramza kills innocent)
but ramza wounder if he made the right choice...both allies displeased and the real mission wasnt complete and now the ghosts may attack again...

2:FTC (choice 2)
amoung the bodys ramza looks in despair seeing such a tragety...asking himself could it have been avoided...gafgarian tells him to suck it up...after all there not heroes...just mercs...trying to make a living.
example:recieve despair Sword as reward.

3:GPS (Choice 1 end 2)
the people are happy having gotten to safety the give you gold
Ramza satisfied it all worked out in the end...gafgarian displeased with his actions though. (if all saved in this you getting not one but two special Examples:hero Sword...but if ramza kills innocent he will refuse any reward).

(Obviously I know those arnt real swords in the game but I think all three versions have a different purpose...which is why they have different rewards choice two's reward will be the weakest since its easiest to obtain.[/quote]

hope you like it and feel free to revise :P[/spoiler]

Kagebunji

July 20, 2009, 05:29:42 pm #71 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kagebunji
I changed reward items

Chapter 2-3

Poisoned food

Gariland

Event- Ramza and Rad were walking by the street, when head of the village asks them for help.

Conditions for winning: Kill all malboros or take all the food (they can be held in boxes, if there is no sprite, then chests)

Killing malboros- you get big amount of gil and armor "padded gear"
Take food- you get small amount of gil and town treasure "Dragon's rod"(rod)
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

LastingDawn

July 20, 2009, 05:49:49 pm #72 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Quote from: "beawulfx"LD, Survivor is a good reward! I hope that it wasn't too much of a mind trip by throwing that in there, I'm not sure how you feel about cross overs like that with other games and I don't wanna confuse by implying it as anything other than a nice reference for fans of the Final Fantasy series. I just tried to think of something that we've never directly seen before, only had implied through conversation in FFVI, and then allowing the player a glimpse into those events through that sidequest.

How do you feel about references to other games though LD? I could probably think of some other ones, but I don't wanna over do it. I find it hard to come up with side quests that are completely original and find it fun to write about my fond memories from older games.

What is this game if not an amalgamation of the series as a whole? Hehe, I feel no problem with sticking in references to other games. Though while I would love custom sprites for some of these, I understand that's an impossibility. If there's one thing Mercenaries lacks, it's dedicated spriters.

QuoteQuest: Save the Mysidians!
Chapter 2 or 3?
Activition: Is there a way to set it so the party can take on a quest to protect somebody? Like a notice posted at a bar asking for the help of strong travelers to defend them? If so then the party will see this call for help from a community of wandering mages who call themselves the 'Mysidians'. They are an ancient group of men and women tasked to protect their ancestors treasure (the Water Crystal, but doesn't have to be explicitly stated). Lately a gang of Mercenaries named the 'Red Wings' have been terrorizing them in order to steal their valued artifact. Thus they need they aid of a strong group to protect them.

The group could discuss the job. Rad mentions that he's heard of them and how they are a group dedicated to protecting a 'crystal' that was said to be of vast importance in ancient religions. Gafgarion is neutral on the idea aside from hearing about the promised reward. Ramza encourages the party to help them out, as he is tired of the weak being pushed around by those with strength. They decide to take the quest for different reasons; Rad wants more information the Mysidians, Gafgarion seeks the reward, and Ramza feels its important to protect those in need if one has the means to do so.

The party then heads to meet the Mysidians at Mandalia Plains [or wherever!] and they are discussing the recent attacks when the Wings arrive seeking the crystal once and for all!

The Red Wings and their gang leader 'King Baron' state they are not leaving without the crystal, and ask how many more lives the Mysidians will lose to protect it. Ramza and company prepare for battle, and a pair of brave Mysidians offer to help out.

Enemy Units [King should be a little stronger than Cecil/Kain, and Knights a little weaker than them]
1x Male Warder 'King Baron' [strong supporting unit]
1x Male EsperBlade 'Cecil' [equipped with Umbra if possible]
1x Male Dragoon 'Kain'
2x Male Knight

Guest Units
1x Mysidan Male Invoker [weaker than the party/enemies]
1x Mysidan Female Cantor [weaker than the party/enemies]

After defeating the Red Wings gang the Mysidians thank Ramza and co. and offer them their reward [not sure on what it should be, perhaps something related to magic though, a grimoire, staff, etc]. If you can keep the two guests alive then the reward should be greater [if this is possible!]. Rad then asks if they can tell him more about their groups history. As they began talking Gafgarion and Ramza stand aside and poke fun at Rad, and in a somewhat rare moment of truth Gafgarion admits that he too was happy to help them out. Ramza is quiet but pleased to hear it and Gafgarion (perhaps a bit embarassed) makes him swear not to tell Rad of this more tender moment.

If you want to have the Barons be killed in the battle that's fine, or if you want them to show up again in the future I can work something out too I'm sure! I can adjust the ending appropriately so that they can get back at the team, or Ramza and company can bump into them again, or whatever!
[/spoilers]

[spoilers]I like it, it's pretty unique, though I was thinking that if one of the two (either Cantor or Invoker) fell that the other one would also fall, (as well... what happens in FFIV). I can make War Trophies dependent on whether they survive or not. Hehe, I also like the bit of the tender moment. Also the touch of the King is nice, also would you like the Knights named Biggs and Wedge, or do you think they should have a more important part to play in another sidequest? Though I am afraid that Rumors have been turned into "Documents", important pieces of history to read, granted that a fair number of sidequests (or main quest) can be unlocked through this, don't forget that "Research" can also unlock propositions. Though that's really the only thing different, just choose a different matter to unlock the sidequest. Also I'm not too keen on Mandalia... too much occurs there already, how about... Fovoham Plains, or the Windmill Shed?

QuoteDefeat the Master IV(lame name)

Chapter 4

Read a rumor in Riovanes Castle about a group of 4 travelers challenging anybody to a match. They mention that it will be held in the month of Cancer(June-July) at... somewhere appropriate for a duel? When you enter the place, you see a lone knight with silver hair. He turns and greets you, introducing himself as Cecil. As Gaffgarion starts to comment about him being along, a dragoon suddenly lands behind the group in black/blue armor. A monk with a ponytail walks up from behind the dragoon and introduces the dragoon as Kain, and himself as Yang. Lastly, a summoner with green hair teleports in next to Cecil and stares around. She cheerfully introduces herself as Rydia. The introductions are held for the Mercenaries, then the match is off!

Battle:
Enemies:x4
Cecil: Party Level +10 Knight, only knows light skills. And white magic.
Kain: Party Level +10 Dragoon, jumps. For a lot.
Yang: Party Level +10 Monk, very powerful and supportive.
Rydia: Party Level +8 Summoner, very powerful summons.

When Cecil gets his second turn, however, he suddenly gets a headache and falls on one knee. The enemy party looks at him, asking if he's okay, when suddenly and evil aura comes out of Cecil. Suddenly, behind Cecil appears a Dark Knight, named Cecil?, with Party Level +20, and he's in a different team from everyone. The match continues, but with a 3rd enemy party. Battle ends when you defeat both enemy parties, or when Cecil? is defeated before your party is. Game over is Cecil? is the winner of the battle.

You win match: The enemy party thanks you for helping them defeat Cecil's dark past, and reward them with an appropriate weapon. Then they walk away from the party and never seen again.

You lose match: The enemy party thanks them for helping them defeat Cecil's dark past, and thanks them for a great match. They get a different reward, and then they walk away and are never seen again.

While this is a good idea in essence, (though I'm not sure if I like the random "Dark Cecil" appearance), it's a bit discrediting to Cecil's actual character to have him reconquered, though it is just an event, there's no way we could adequately portray the whole story of that (not easily anyhow).

Though here we come to another hurdle... I can only say that if you want custom sprites for your sidequests, you will have to make them, or ask someone with talent to do so. As it stands I am an extraordinarily poor spriter and rely on the goodwill of others for them. Once again though, Chapter 4 is a bit too heavy of a point to start a sidequest... mainly Chapter 4 is for finishing up the other chain sidequests, starting new sidequests at that point would betray the sense of urgency I want the fourth chapter (yes... unlike Every Other RPG in Existence, the end game will not be the best time to start sidequests). Chapter 3, is fine for this though

QuoteWell, for F&M, I'd like about 3 bouts with them.

The first could be in the mission I detailed above.

The second could be at Lenalia Plateau. The hunter couples are attempting to poach a Dragon and Ramza and his PETA ways attempt to stop them.

Enemy Units
1x Forza (Berserker)
1x Magissa (Enchantress)
2x Chemist (at top of hill with guns)
1x Ninja (with Use Hand)
1x Thief (with Use Hand)

Guest Units
1x Dragon

The third (and last) time you face them is at Zirekile Falls after reading a Rumor:

"Monster hunters are gathering everywhere at this, the beginning of egg-laying season! Unisex monsters everywhere are hatching new babies, so what better time to poach 'em? Interested parties are being asked to come to Zirekile Falls if they are interested."

Ramza, once again going into Righteous Mode, decides to go to Zirekile and give the hunters a good talking to! Once Ramza enters the area, he is struck by a poison arrow, causing him to be poisoned at the start of the battle.

Magissa reveals that the rumor was a trap, and that it was to get Ramza out into the open to kill him, once and for all. Ramza comments on how life, no matter how menial, is still important. (Hypocrite, you kill monsters AND people) He then goes into battle.

Enemy Units
1x Forza (Berserker)
1x Magissa (Enchantress)
2x Assassin
1x Mediator
2x Sorceror

After the battle, we see Ramza, Forza, and Magissa at the top of the falls. Magissa, refusing to die at the hands of "an environmentally conscious ragamuffin" jumps off the falls, to her death. (The player sees her corpse)

Forza, knowing only how to obey his wife, decides that if she jumps off a waterfall, so should he. You then see him jump and die. Ramza then finds a Goliath Bread on Forza's corpse, and a Yggdrasil Mistletoe on Magissa's body. Ramza leaves the Falls, lamenting how people who kill are destined to but one destiny- to be killed.

Ramza in Mercenaries is not so helplessly naive. He would need another motivation to want to help monsters, of all things, we've discussed on IRC that they could be torturing the monster, but to bring it more inline with the FF5 comparison... should it be a Hiryuu he's protecting? It would make more sense to protect an incredibly rare breed of dragon, ones known to cavort with man-kind rather then a dangerous dragon of which there are tons of.

For the third fight... Ramza isn't exactly the most over bearing fellow anymore, I couldn't see Gafgarion agreeing with him on this one, so easily. Though as for a trap... this is more of a Chapter 4 dealing, of course I won't reveal more then that. I really like it though! Especially since I feel they didn't get enough screen time in FFV

Art of War

Eternal

July 20, 2009, 05:54:55 pm #73 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Eternal248
Sure, if we could make a new type of Dragon monster (Hiryuu) that would be great!

As far as fight 3, Gafgarion would figure that if there are monster hunters there, there's bound to be someone in need of work. Thus, his motivation to go there could be to find more work.

Kagebunji

July 20, 2009, 05:57:12 pm #74 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kagebunji
I thinked of something

Bodyguards request!
Chapter 3

Ramza with Rad and Gaffy are sitting and drinking at the bar when despaired merchant comes, and asks them for help. Because his last cargo was robed by "Tantalus" he want them, to come with him tomorrow, when he will be transporting cargo from Dorter to Zaland. When they are passing Araguay Woods suddenly a 5 peoples apears, merchant is saying that they took his last cargo.

Cause they tooked the last cargo they should have good equipment
1.Baku (slowest, with high HP and ATK, but low defense, have best equipment)
2.Zidane(quite good speed, medium stats and equipment)
3.Blank(good speed, ATK, rest stats are worse than medium, great sword everything else is average)
4.Marcus(medium ATK, speed, HP but good defense, medium equipment)
5.Cinna(lowest ATK,defense, highest speed, medium HP, medium equpment)

In this battle you can't let Tantalus members destroy cargo(5 boxes, or chests)and defeat them before they do.

Rewards:
Tantalus destroyed 1-3 boxes- you get medium amount of gil and good helm, shoes, shield
Tantalus destroyed all boxes- you get small amount of gil and weak sword
Tantalus didn't destroyed cargo- you get big amount of gil and great sword and armor

I can make other episods, just ask.

LastingDawn

July 20, 2009, 06:00:21 pm #75 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Quote from: "cold52"
Quote from: "LastingDawn"Hmm, that is an interesting idea... A very interesting idea! But as this is your idea, may I ask you to decide what you would like done, as a consequence of the two choices? This is quite an idea though, I personally look forward to the conclusion!

Thanks...I have been told I can draw a crowd :P

now then theres three possible endings to this event...

1.GPS (choice 1 end 1)
the people are happy having gotten to safety the give you gold (amount of people saved changes award amount...if there all saved get weapon example:honor Sword...no reward accepted if ramza kills innocent)
but ramza wounder if he made the right choice...both allies displeased and the real mission wasnt complete and now the ghosts may attack again...

2:FTC (choice 2)
amoung the bodys ramza looks in despair seeing such a tragety...asking himself could it have been avoided...gafgarian tells him to suck it up...after all there not heroes...just mercs...trying to make a living.
example:recieve despair Sword as reward.

3:GPS (Choice 1 end 2)
the people are happy having gotten to safety the give you gold
Ramza satisfied it all worked out in the end...gafgarian displeased with his actions though. (if all saved in this you getting not one but two special Examples:hero Sword...but if ramza kills innocent he will refuse any reward).

(Obviously I know those arnt real swords in the game but I think all three versions have a different purpose...which is why they have different rewards choice two's reward will be the weakest since its easiest to obtain.

hope you like it and feel free to revise :P[/spoiler][/quote]

QuoteWell, the whole "dying part" might be a bit tricky to work out, I can make an event for "all dead"though, an event for "all alive", creating a neutral one is a bit trickier, though let's see fitting weapon...

Choice 1 - Honor Sword = Ribbon Cutter (Corbin De Bec)

Choice 2 - Despair Sword = Coffin Nail

Choice 3 - Hero Sword = Judicer's Staff, High Wizard's Rod

Art of War

LastingDawn

July 20, 2009, 06:04:28 pm #76 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Quote from: "Kagebunji"I thinked of something

Bodyguards request!
Chapter 3

Ramza with Rad and Gaffy are sitting and drinking at the bar when despaired merchant comes, and asks them for help. Because his last cargo was robed by "Tantalus" he want them, to come with him tomorrow, when he will be transporting cargo from Dorter to Zaland. When they are passing Araguay Woods suddenly a 5 peoples apears, merchant is saying that they took his last cargo.

Cause they tooked the last cargo they should have good equipment
1.Baku (slowest, with high HP and ATK, but low defense, have best equipment)
2.Zidane(quite good speed, medium stats and equipment)
3.Blank(good speed, ATK, rest stats are worse than medium, great sword everything else is average)
4.Marcus(medium ATK, speed, HP but good defense, medium equipment)
5.Cinna(lowest ATK,defense, highest speed, medium HP, medium equpment)

In this battle you can't let Tantalus members destroy cargo(5 boxes, or chests)and defeat them before they do.

Rewards:
Tantalus destroyed 1-3 boxes- you get medium amount of gil and good helm, shoes, shield
Tantalus destroyed all boxes- you get small amount of gil and weak sword
Tantalus didn't destroyed cargo- you get big amount of gil and great sword and armor

I can make other episods, just ask.

I can make it so you can pick up those sort of items from an event, but I'm not sure how to make it so the enemy would. I like the starting FFIX team, that's a pretty cool addition, though it would probably just be a normal "protect X" rather then anything complicated with Cargo, rewards dependent on how many you kill in X amount of turns?

Art of War

Kagebunji

July 20, 2009, 06:20:56 pm #77 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kagebunji
Yeah that wouldn't be bad, I can make revenge with them, want it?

mav

July 20, 2009, 07:00:49 pm #78 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by mav
Hmmm, I have a new sidequest idea, LD. But I wanna know whether it'd be personal to pull off a tournament-type battle. You start with your team, defeat the enemy, a new enemy appears, and so on and so forth. When you lose, you don't die, but the sidequest ends. For every battle you win, you get a prize. Now, there could be two ways to do this. One would be where you fight, you win, you go to the formation screen, then back to that same stage for the next fight, and the process repeats itself until you lose or all battles are completed. The other way would be that the battle ends and the next battle begins immediately (without the formation screen); thus you're relying on your current item inventory, your current equipment, your current team placement, and most importantly, your own endurance.

What say you, LD? If you want me to flesh out the idea, I'd be more than happy to. And I think we could wrap up some lingering characters this way too.

LastingDawn

July 20, 2009, 07:50:19 pm #79 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Quote from: "mav"Hmmm, I have a new sidequest idea, LD. But I wanna know whether it'd be personal to pull off a tournament-type battle. You start with your team, defeat the enemy, a new enemy appears, and so on and so forth. When you lose, you don't die, but the sidequest ends. For every battle you win, you get a prize. Now, there could be two ways to do this. One would be where you fight, you win, you go to the formation screen, then back to that same stage for the next fight, and the process repeats itself until you lose or all battles are completed. The other way would be that the battle ends and the next battle begins immediately (without the formation screen); thus you're relying on your current item inventory, your current equipment, your current team placement, and most importantly, your own endurance.

What say you, LD? If you want me to flesh out the idea, I'd be more than happy to. And I think we could wrap up some lingering characters this way too.

What say I? I say that sounds like a fantastic idea! It's very simple, and once again shows the use of Equip Change, as a tool to prepare for battle. Which map though? Also please develop this, it sounds like a grand idea!

Art of War