• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:57:51 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

FFTA2 Thematic Mod

Started by TerrageneX, August 15, 2018, 01:32:09 pm

TerrageneX

August 15, 2018, 01:32:09 pm Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 06:17:39 am by TerrageneX
Hi, guys. Long-time lurker here. I've talked with most of the big-guys here, consulted them with modding, among other things. Anyways, I'll be releasing my take on FFTA2 modding soon, and I wanted to share my plans about it.

In a week or two, after editing animations, I'll be posting it here. Here's two for now:

Job Name: Gray Mage (Time Mage)
Ability Set Name (Commands): Gray Magick (Time Magick)
Move Type: Teleport (Yes, the slow one)

Conceptualization: I wanted to have a mage that is capable of the following:
A. On their own, they have no access to damage (except the Attack command and secondary job).
B. They cannot damage/restore HP through abilities.
C. They should have risks/preparation when casting Quicken (and other game-breaking effects).

Storywise: Since they are a neutral job, they will not be joining the not-so-obviously-color-coded version of the Power Rangers that is the Cinquleur. No major story changes whatsoever, so no worries being the sixth ranger.

Abilities: I wanted to represent spacetime to an extent that affects the gameplay. Time represents turn order and/or lack thereof; and space represents tile movement and/or, again, lackthereof. Its really about doing so much by not doing anything directly damaging. The names of abilities are mostly in Latin cause they translate the meaning of them well (and partially because they sound cool and powerful). And most of them are short-ranged and single-targeted (except 5 and 8).

Abilities List:

Levo (Lighten)
Distort spacetime to levitate a unit, bestowing Levis (Move↑).

Magnum Levitas (Great Lightness)
Casts Levo and bestows Evasion↑. Requires Primed.

Gravo (Weigh Down)
Distort spacetime to gravitate a unit, inflicting Gravis (Rooted).

Magnum Gravitas (Great Heaviness)
Casts Gravo and inflicts 0 Evasion. Requires Primed.

Distorting Presence
Applies Spellbound to adjacent units, and then Primes the caster for greater magick.

Ante [Before (in time), Forward (in space)]
Hastes a unit's travel in space, distorting their travel in time. Hastes and delays turn order.
Edited: Removed Primed Requirement for assumed power.

Post [After (in time), Backward (in space)]
Slows a unit's travel in space, distorting their travel in time. Slows and advances turn order.
Edited: Removed Primed Requirement for assumed power.

Tabula Rasa (Blank State)
Stops the effects of spacetime on a unit, and removes all buffs and most debuffs (Debuff Accuracy). Requires Primed.
Edited: Posted the wrong skill for my other modded job. Updated.

Job Name: Alchemist
Ability Set Name (Commands): Alchemy
Move Type: Walk

Conceptualization: I wanted to have a mage that is capable of the following:
A. Utilizes the classical elements through their self-targeted AoE abilities.
B. Bestows buffs in exchange for Resistance ignoring magick damage to self.
C. They are equipped with books. Alchemists in fantasy games are equipped with bombs/grenades. Not sure why.

Game starts with max MP and does not regenerate every turn (for now).

Primum (first)/Ignis (fire)
Bestows Attack↑ and Magick↑ to the caster and adjacent units. Damages HP and MP of the caster.
In-game Description: Let the choleric fire spark you with strength to fight, and empower you with metaphysical might.

Secundum (second)/Ventus (wind)
Bestows Critical↑ and Accuracy↑ to the caster and adjacent units. Damages HP and MP of the caster.
In-game Description: Let the sanguine wind free you from moral desire, and guide your actions when its chances are dire.

Tertium (third)/Aqua (water)
Bestows Evasion↑ and Resilience↑ to the caster and adjacent units. Damages HP and MP of the caster.
In-game Description: Let the phlegmatic water ebb you from harm's way, and flow back to dampen the dangers of the fray.

Quartum (fourth)/Terra (earth)
Bestows Defense↑ and Resistance↑ to the caster and adjacent units. Damages HP and MP of the caster.
In-game Description:Let the melancholic earth offer you a shield, and ward you off from magick so you will not yield.

Quintum (fifth)/Aether (higher air, life giving)
Removes all debuffs on a unit. Damages HP and MP of the caster. Requires Primed.

Occultum (hidden)/Nether
Removes all buffs on a unit. Damages HP and MP of the caster. Requires Primed.

Magnum Opus (great work)
Bestows Prime and Reraise on the caster.

Edited: 08/16/18 Post updated.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

bcrobert

The use of Primed on magic units is a new one. The spell names also remind me of Harry Potter which is fun. But stat manipulation is pretty weak already, so I don't think I'd be willing to take damage for inverted -break skills.
My FFTA hacking tools: http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=9559.0

Believe it or not, I'm still working on this game.

DeSgeretjin

Elemental absorbing gear, gaining hp mp and stat up.

Some of the effects really isn't worth two turn though especially gray mage's Ante and Post.

TerrageneX

@DeSgeretjin
I was worried that Ante and Post would be overpowered so I gave it Primed restriction, I guess not.

@bcrobert
Stats manipulation is really weak in FFTA2, being flat bonuses and all that. I do have another iteration of it though.

bcrobert

Ante and Post probably won't be OP at all. The player will generally want to limit their target selection to a unit very close or very far away from their next turn. This limitation passively balances the skill.
My FFTA hacking tools: http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=9559.0

Believe it or not, I'm still working on this game.