• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:08:55 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

What is the best way to reduce damage for the whole game?

Started by C1REX, March 05, 2018, 05:59:47 pm

C1REX

Hi,

I'm working on a personal vanilla mod and one of the main features I want in there is reduced damage to keep fights much longer.

What I've done so far is I adjusted grows and multipliers so max PA is 10 for monk and 11 for Knight. Max MA is 22 for Black Mage - this is done to keep scaling better. It's similar how vanilla monsters PA and MA scaling was done.

There is no skills or items to alter PA, MA or SP in my mod. SP is also slightly reduced to keep scaling more under control.

Monk standard attack with Brave 97 and 10PA is about 150 depending on zodiac. Can be double that with dual sword.
Ninja can do maybe a little bit more but it's very unlikely to 1HKO anybody as max HP was improved for all melee jobs.

My questions is what challenges and problems I may get and what are potentially better solutions?
How Jot5 is balanced? The damage at the beginning is about the same as on my patch and it seems to stay low.
How boosting DEF for all jobs would work out?
I really like the genius level of simplicity in Jot5 and would like some of that in my personal vanilla  mod.

Many thanks.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

3lric

Quote from: C1REX on March 05, 2018, 05:59:47 pm
Hi,

I'm working on a personal vanilla mod and one of the main features I want in there is reduced damage to keep fights much longer.

What I've done so far is I adjusted grows and multipliers so max PA is 10 for monk and 11 for Knight. Max MA is 22 for Black Mage - this is done to keep scaling better. It's similar how vanilla monsters PA and MA scaling was done.

There is no skills or items to alter PA, MA or SP in my mod. SP is also slightly reduced to keep scaling more under control.

Monk standard attack with Brave 97 and 10PA is about 150 depending on zodiac. Can be double that with dual sword.
Ninja can do maybe a little bit more but it's very unlikely to 1HKO anybody as max HP was improved for all melee jobs.

My questions is what challenges and problems I may get and what are potentially better solutions?
How Jot5 is balanced? The damage at the beginning is about the same as on my patch and it seems to stay low.
How boosting DEF for all jobs would work out?
I really like the genius level of simplicity in Jot5 and would like some of that in my personal vanilla  mod.

Many thanks.

Trust me, there is nothing simplistic about how Jot5 was made. Its got more ASMs than most patches on here combined, lol
  • Modding version: PSX

C1REX

I understand that jot5 is a very advanced patch. What I meant is that it feels simple to play and a lot of unnecessary stuff were cut off the game.

I wonder how the damage balancing were done.  Most enemies take much more hits to kill than in vanilla. The battle mechanics and overall balance is just fantastic.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

3lric

Quote from: C1REX on March 06, 2018, 03:41:27 am
I understand that jot5 is a very advanced patch. What I meant is that it feels simple to play and a lot of unnecessary stuff were cut off the game.

I wonder how the damage balancing were done.  Most enemies take much more hits to kill than in vanilla. The battle mechanics and overall balance is just fantastic.

You are going to give Raven a big head, lol
  • Modding version: PSX