• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 01:22:07 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Turning Mime into a monster class.

Started by Prometheus-BR, November 29, 2017, 10:48:40 am

Prometheus-BR

Hi everyone.

I was never a great fan of mimes, until i saw them in the AI Tournments, still, for such great requirements to unlock, they should've been a more special, bad ass class... like a red mage, dark knight, sage or whatever.

So here I was thinking of my own custom job system, when it hit me: Mimes are basically one-trick-only-units, so why not make'em a monster class?

This way I can make the original mime the best job unlockable to generics.

I know FFTOrgasm has hacks that allow mimes to work as a normal class, but would it work if gave mimic, for instance for one of the three variants of the mindflayer class?
  • Modding version: PSX

Vanya

Well, you would still have the issue that the Mime class itself can't learn any skills. I don't know for sure if they can be given a normal skill set like the problematic jobs, but if so then you could maybe give them skills that are always learned by default so the lack of SRAM to save the skills could maybe be circumvented. Always on skills would be better than none.

Giving a monster the mimic ability would probably not work, but don't take my word for it. I've been out of the scene for a long time.
It might be simpler to make a custom job with the Mimic skill set and give it to a new recruitable guest character in the ENTD.
Note, though, I haven't messed with hacking FFT in a long time and my duggestion may not even be easy or even possible.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
¯\(°_0)/¯

Myrmidon

Necrobumping!  I did this.  Kinda.

in Mime, change the M.Portrait to 84/85, mattering on if you want to use the male or female sprite. M.Graphic to 1 as well.

in ENTD, change the type of the unit to Monster, job unlocked: Base, and anything else that's generally attributed to a monster.  This will prevent it from gaining JP, or giving trickle JP.  Adjust growths as needed.

Finally, to prevent job changing completely, put the minimum required level for all classes to 1, and Mime to 2 or above.

It feels a little sloppy, as your mime will still get a job ring (with a bunch of blanked out jobs that it can't access), but it does the job relatively well.