• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:41:10 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Question regarding Character and Item limitations (PSX version)

Started by matroy23, September 17, 2017, 08:53:46 pm

matroy23

Hello!

I have looked quickly through the forum but couldn't seem to find an answer to this.

Could anyone let me know (or point me in the right direction) if there is a compiled list somewhere of :

Total amount of jobs for generic characters :
Total amount of unique characters that can be created :
Total amount of Weapon types :

**Quick note, I only really want a rough idea of the numbers :P no need to be precise. I just want to make sure I don't go wayyyy over.

I have downloaded Raven's Workbooks which seem to have some information.

I recall seeing a post way back concerning this, and if I recall it also mentioned some jobs present in the game are "glitched" and cannot really be used or modified.

I have not yet played with the editor itself, I'm at the designing stage, and I'd love to know that info before designing a few too many and having to cut some :P

Thanks a bunch!

Bonus question, I seem to recall reading somewhere that there can be a maximum of 16 "characters" on a battlefield at once, and a maximum of 9 sprites shared between all of those.
If we take the Underground Limberry Castle crypt fight, I count 11 sprites (12 if pre-beast counts as one). Does it mean if you use the monster "recolors" (same family, different version) it counts as one?
  • Modding version: PSX

Nyzer

Looking in the Patcher will answer all of your main three questions.

The "unique character" question changes depending on context - you can use more sprites, and more palettes for those sprites, for non-joining characters than you can for party members, as party members use a limited number of Formation sprite slots and are always forced into the default palette.

The really short answer is you can make a lot of new non-joining characters, but the rest will be much more limited.

For your bonus question, no, game-selected color swaps of the same sprite do not count as different sprites.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown