• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:55:42 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

[PSX] How do some events set generic units to unique portraits?

Started by Satoh, August 29, 2017, 05:00:50 am

Satoh

As it says in the title, I'm interested to know if anyone has figured out how events like the Gariland battle set ordinary generic units to have unique faces.

I had to replay the game to confirm it, but the portrait does appear when hovering over the unit during battle, and is still unique.

I looked all over the FFPatcher and did a few forum searches, but couldn't seem to find any information on this.

As a longterm goal I'd like to harness that to possibly make some unique portraits for generic characters like Alicia and Lavian without changing them to uniques, but for now, just knowing where to look would be nice.
  • Modding version: PSX

Xifanie

You want to edit the Unit ID and Portrait ID fields with Raven's tool:
http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=9749.0

It's only one custom portrait per scenario. Also, you cannot have a unit with a special portrait retain their special portrait once they join your party.

You want to check WLDFACE.BIN in Shishi to know which ID to use. You have to take that decimal number, subtract 1, then convert to hex.
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Satoh

(I apologize for changing the title if that's a problem, but I realized I have more somewhat related questions, that don't seem like they'd warrant a completely different thread)
Informative and concise, thank you.

I suppose in the short term I'll need to create new unique classes.

Spritesets aren't linked to jobs directly, correct?
What I don't understand is the method that allows one spriteset to change jobs, and use that job's sprites.
My instinct is that its hardcoded to the 0x80 and 0x81 spritesets (generic male and female respectively), but I'm not certain on that.

Celia and Lede seem to have a pair of unused spritesets, which strikes me as a bit odd.
In theory I could use those spritesets, change the actual image to that of KnightF with a custom portrait, and change Alicia and Lavian's spriteset index, but not their job, to those spritesets, and that would give them unique portraits, right?
But it would also mean they're permanently locked into looking like a knight, yes? (I can attempt all of this of course, but I'm just checking that I'm thinking in the right direction)

More direct version of that question: I don't have to give a unit a non-generic job to allow it to use a unique spriteset?

Xifanie

Quote from: Satoh on August 29, 2017, 04:23:11 pm
Spritesets aren't linked to jobs directly, correct? No they're not, but as far as what you're asking, they are
What I don't understand is the method that allows one spriteset to change jobs, and use that job's sprites.
My instinct is that its hardcoded to the 0x80 and 0x81 spritesets (generic male and female respectively), but I'm not certain on that. Only generic Males/Females will use gender and job specific spritesheets

Celia and Lede seem to have a pair of unused spritesets, which strikes me as a bit odd.
In theory I could use those spritesets, change the actual image to that of KnightF with a custom portrait, and change Alicia and Lavian's spriteset index, but not their job, to those spritesets, and that would give them unique portraits, right? Except that you can't decide to make Knight their special job. It has to replace the Squire job. Which means you would have 2 knights with them.
But it would also mean they're permanently locked into looking like a knight, yes? (I can attempt all of this of course, but I'm just checking that I'm thinking in the right direction) Yes

More direct version of that question: I don't have to give a unit a non-generic job to allow it to use a unique spriteset? Yes you do
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Satoh

Well now. I'm glad I asked. That's some surprising responses.
And thank you for your assistance.