• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 09:45:41 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Counter Learne by hit

Started by Heisho, May 27, 2017, 03:15:52 am

Heisho

In short is it possible to learn IE Counter Tackle if being hit by it?

I know you must toogle the flag on the ability but it wasn't learned when the "master" countered the "learner". Do I must set anything else or it just can't happen?

Thanks in advance.
  • Modding version: PSX
Grrr, arwg, hiss, and some other zombie noises...
  • Discord username: Heisho

RavenOfRazgriz

Learn on Hit abilities are only learned Chance to Learn % of the time.  So if your move has a Chance to Learn % of under 100%, you (obviously) won't learn it 100% of the time.  So, if your Reaction's Chance to Learn isn't 100%, that's step one.  You must also be in the specified Job whose skillset contains that Reaction command.  ie, if this is Vanilla and you're trying to learn Counter Tackle on hit, you must be in the Squire job.  That's step two.  If you're following those two main steps, you "should" be able to learn your desired skill on-hit.

However, I'm not entirely sure you can learn Reaction commands via Learn on Hit.  A number of Reaction commands (Counter, Counter Tackle, Hamedo, Meatbone Slash, Counter Flood, Auto-Potion) are actually countering you by casting the specified skill (and Counter Magic mirrors back whatever skill was used), so it wouldn't surprise me if even for the purposes of Learn on Hit you're treated as having cast the skill being used and not the Reaction itself.  The only Reaction I can think of that "attacks" another unit and isn't actually casting a separate ability on them is Damage Split.

That's the best advice I can give you though, as to my knowledge no one has bothered trying to make Reactions be Learn on Hit before now.

Heisho

Thanks for the info.

As for the two steps you told me I already tried it that, sorry I didn't specify.

I tried by first learning the tackle and then the reaction and also tried the other way around with no results.
I have concluded that it cannot be done. It's a shame because it could have been interesting getting a counter by "learning" it.

But, if somebody proves me wrong I'll happily change my opinion.  :cool:
  • Modding version: PSX
Grrr, arwg, hiss, and some other zombie noises...
  • Discord username: Heisho

Raijinili

For what it's worth, it's possible to Learn On Hit from Counter Magic (though I don't think Vanilla has any Learn On Hits that can be Counter Magic'd).

Here's the code.
http://ffhacktics.com/wiki/Learn_on_hit_1
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown