• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:06:29 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Getting started

Started by PabloOaks, February 09, 2017, 10:14:49 am

PabloOaks

Hello, a newbie here... Allow me ask something.

Is there any use to start reading tutorials, or no one is making hacks of FF nowadays? I know, you guys heard it several times, but, a lover of FF, I really wanna help. Of course I dont have any skills or knowledge over hacks and somewhat, but just... I really wanna learn and help.
Maybe it's just "vague" (I'm not even american), but in time, I'll prove my words.
Best regards...
  • Modding version: PSX
"Life is short... Bury! Steady Sword!"

Angel

If you want to mod actual original PlayStation, we want you here. We need you here. If you want to mod PSP/Android/iOS, we neither want nor need you here unless you have a profound knowledge of the hardware and can work within their heinous limitations. Around here, PlayStation is God, and all other releases are steaming piles of dung that nobody will touch or clean up. WotL = no knowledge, no experience, no intelligence, just using tools from a bygone era nobody will bother to update, and few will use.

Note also: I don't say this as an explicit slight against WotL, just that nobody with any intelligence, modicum of common sense, or ambition sticks to WotL, with the exception of BlueVII's stubbornness. If you can't operate on an assembly level, please don't work on WotL. If you can operate on an assembly level, please work on PlayStation, but I'll still be happy if you work on WotL.
* Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
<@Elric> I agree to that as well

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame
At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?

PabloOaks

Thanks for fast reply and sincere words. So, as far I can see, I have to learn assembly (or its not a rule?). I study in a college of IT management,  already had assembly and hated it! (lolll). But, I can try again...
Best regards.

Nyzer

February 10, 2017, 02:24:44 pm #3 Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 06:31:28 pm by nyzer
You'd have to in order to do anything really groundbreaking or unique with WotL - even the PSP version, which is the most moddable of the set.

With the limited tools available for the PSP game, it's nearly impossible to make anything other than a vanilla mod - changing stats, encounters, skillsets, etc. in a way you see fit. I mean, the game's obviously imbalanced in a lot of ways, but there are already lots of (half-completed, if that) vanilla mods lying around, for either PSX or PSP. Another one added to the heap isn't going to do much.

And even a well-done, major vanilla mod just won't be as impressive as something with a greater scope. There's a reason AM2R popped up on my radar, but I couldn't name a single Super Metroid mod if I tried.

You can't do much in the way of drastically changing the game if you don't use the PSX version or aren't ridiculously good with ASM - and even if you were, you'd probably be better served working with the PSX version as it's more well-known and a lot less likely to spontaneously combust. Of course, if you could find a way to beat the PSP version into submission so it stops being so nightmarish to work with, no one would turn that down!

A lot of people would want to replace the PSP script immediately, though.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

PabloOaks

Well nyzer... Thanks for great explanation,  in fact, I'm more frightened than before, because I realised it's so hard and complex. Oh gosh, I'm really don't know what do next... (ouch).

Nyzer

To be blunt, this is kind of why the old guard around here are jaded about people saying they really want to contribute. Within a few posts, you've gone from saying "in time, I'll prove my words" to "really don't know what to do next..."

If projects like Jot5 were easy, simple, or quick, there'd be more of them, and Jot5 itself would have been completed a long time ago.

Now, if all you want to do is just make up your own simple vanilla mod and see what you can do with it, there's certainly nothing wrong with that. It's how I got started. Simple stuff like that is probably how most people started modding games.

But there's a world of difference between doing that and making big contributions to major projects.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

PabloOaks

You got me wrong dude, where do you read what I give up? I just were sincere, or do you preffer to me lie? I really wanna help, but those initial question grow up in deeps thougs...
I really dont know what to do next, maybe will start seeing Assembly vids (I dunno). Please dont jump conclusions so fast. ;)

Xifanie

Quote from: PabloOaks on February 10, 2017, 02:37:51 pm
I'm more frightened than before, because I realised it's so hard and complex.

You have to understand that this is the reason 99% people give up around here. Things seemed easier than they really were, and unable to face the new challenges, they just give up.
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

PabloOaks

Surely this does, but "not on my turn".  :cool:
When I say that, wanted someone take my hand e show me every moves what i had to do next (/dramatic mode on). Lol
Seriously now,  guess my best shot is Assembly huh?
Right now, i have little time to spent on this (already studyng for a contest or 'public tender' --> never used this term in english I dunno how spell it!), but I'll.

Thanks people.  :mrgreen:

Emmy

You could always start with Patcher stuff and move onto doing the harder stuff.  Patcher is mostly self explanatory and you can see the kinds of changes you make right away, which can give you motivation/ideas for what to change that requires asm.  Or if you don't want to start with assembly or Patcher stuff, you can learn spriting or eventing. :)

Angel

I actually like the way Elric went at it; he started with writing events, which is by far the scariest proposition to any newcomer. He jumped right in with what was (at the time) the most daunting and tedious work anyone could do with FFT with the tools provided, and that made everything else seem simple afterward.

Learning ASM is a good idea, and a valuable asset, but isn't required. Dedication and ambition are the best things to have.
* Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
<@Elric> I agree to that as well

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame
At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?

3lric

Quote from: Angel on February 12, 2017, 12:15:20 am
I actually like the way Elric went at it; he started with writing events, which is by far the scariest proposition to any newcomer. He jumped right in with what was (at the time) the most daunting and tedious work anyone could do with FFT with the tools provided, and that made everything else seem simple afterward.

Learning ASM is a good idea, and a valuable asset, but isn't required. Dedication and ambition are the best things to have.

I wish we had a LIKE button xD