• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:37:16 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Need help choosing between WoTL, PSX + LFT, or PSX + LFT with Complete patch

Started by EliteKnightRamza, December 08, 2016, 03:29:14 pm

EliteKnightRamza

Hello. I have played the vanilla version many times and am looking for something different this playthrough. I have never tried the WoTL remake. The improved graphics and animated cutscenes look cool, but I'm not particularly a fan of the olde English dialogue.

When choosing strictly between vanilla and WoTL for someone who has played the original countless times, does the dialogue tend to grow on you or does it seem weird the entire game?

Is it possible to keep the new graphics and cutscenes while retaining the old dialogue?

I see that the WoTL translation can be patched to the vanilla version with the LFT mod + complete patch, but can the LFT mod be patched to the WoTL version in case I decide to make my playthrough with WoTL?

Overall what would you recommend - Vanilla + LFT, Vanilla + LFT with complete patch, or just the WoTL game by itself? There's so many options for my next play through it's kind of daunting to decide.
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL

Angel

Xifanie was screaming at me to stop the last time I read aloud WotL dialogue to her while testing something on PPSSPP. It is really, seriously, heavily overdone. Vagrant Story was on point, FFXII toed the line on some things (humes, magicks, etc) but was still acceptable, but WotL's dialogue is to the point of self-parody. I can read it, but I can't take it seriously. The proper name changes are what I cannot forgive, though. Be prepared for every character you know to have gone through an unnecessary (except for Lede - Lettie is both a more accurate translation and an actual name) and largely inexplicable name change. Lots of ability and item names were changed, too. It's difficult for me to pick up and understand what's what because it's the PSX version that I've been playing for nearly 20 years. Plus, the spell quotes are gone (even if some of them were silly).

Keeping the new stuff while using old dialogue and naming convention is the goal of The Lion War, which is on an indefinite hiatus while getting Journey of the Five chapter 1&2 out takes priority. It is still missing the cutscenes, but does currently have the new title and intro movies.

As far as I know (Laggy doesn't exactly post updates here), LFT is for PSX only.

Not being a fan of any text within WotL, I'd go with vanilla LFT, or Kind Of, or Celdia's Complete Patch for something new to change things up. Or by all means, show some love to the story mods out there (like the aforementioned Journey of the Five, Call of Power, A Stone's Ripple, etc). I just won't hide my bias.
  • Modding version: PSX
* Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
<@Elric> I agree to that as well

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame
At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?

EliteKnightRamza

Thanks I really appreciate that reply. The Lion War seems interesting, I'll check back every now and then to see if it ever gets completed. Sounds like exactly what I wanted, all the good stuff without the dialogue.

LFT and Kind Of both seem appealing to me. I'll be doing a vanilla playthrough with the LFT patch this time around. Celdia's seemed a bit confusing, checked out that forum and couldn't exactly find what the patch was about and it seemed there was two versions. Got a little confused so I'll stick with LFT for this time. Really glad I discovered this site, looks like there is an endless amount of ways to change up every playthrough now with all the patches the people here have made. Really excited to be able to play my favorite game of all time in a new light.
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL