• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:45:02 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Status Ailment Priority

Started by dw6561, November 10, 2015, 05:35:57 pm

dw6561

November 10, 2015, 05:35:57 pm Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 06:16:20 pm by dw6561
Debuff Priority List (top is most prioritized):

Crystal/Treasure
Dead
Invite
Petrify/Blood Suck
Stop
Death Sentence
Don't Act
Charm/Confusion
Frog
Don't Move/Sleep
Slow
Berserk
Undead
Critical
Chicken
Darkness/Silence?
Poison
Oil
Innocent
Dark/Evil Looking

- If two moves have statuses that are considered equal, the move that appears first in the skill set is used.
- If two moves have statuses that are not considered equal, the topmost status on the priority list is inflicted.
- This is really just an observation with no real basis, but canceling a status seems to relate to its priority, which explains why Holy Water isn't used very often whereas Phoenix Downs are used almost every time someone dies.

Words of my original post:
QuoteI used inflict status 7A and 7B (two unused ones) and set them to the skills, made sure that Ramza had only those two skills and got into a random battle. He was a wizard (no spells learned) with the skill set secondary. I tested both Talk Skill and Yin-Yang magic because Talk Skill does not affect sleeping units.

What I found was surprising because it conflicts somewhat with what is said here: http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=8718.0

Some other things I've noticed are that the AI seems to prioritize re-applying status when it wears off rather than inflict it on a new target, and that the AI also loves to stack some statuses on top of each other. When I tested DM and sleep, Ramza would inflict DM then inflict sleep on the exact same target very consistantly (no I did not keep reloading a save state for every action - I left it going for a while). The AI also seems to be very smart when it comes to blind and silence, because it breaks the pattern listed to inflict silence on casters (even prioritized over Don't Act) and Blind on units like Knights (when the status is usually not used often).

Some thing to note here is that I didn't think to swap inflict statuses to see if it was just using the topmost move in the skill set, and that appeared to be the case with sleep and don't move. Since then, I figured out that some statuses are considered equal by the AI like charm/confusion, sleep/DM, and petrify/blood suck. Also, I said silence was prioritized over DA, but that now appears to not be the case. Silence and Darkness don't seem to behave like the rest of the statuses, but there isn't really a good way of testing that without being able to control the skills an enemy unit knows so I may need to start looking at the code for answers there.

Again, I am super interested in learning how the AI works on a level beyond just a "rough heirarchy" of decisions, and I didn't see anything like this being done so I jumped in. Feel free to chime in if you think something's wrong.
  • Modding version: PSX
This is FF Tactics. All the Tactics you can ever have, all in one byte.

dw6561

I know this hasn't been posted in for a long time but I did some new research and recorded this video to show off the sleep/DM thing:

https://youtu.be/8L9IA2j5VbU

I really would appreciate some feedback or acknowledgement that this exists, because it makes me feel kind of weird when nobody responds to something I've done.

Xifanie

Welcome to 8+ years of what I've been dealing with on FFH, and I'm far from being the only one. Just look at Choto or especially secondadvent, who put so many hours compiling routine information on the wiki, and they're never thanked for it. Their work is awesome and has been helping me lots, but really doesn't have a wide target audience.

Unfortunately, your work is not relevant to me as I don't play FFT: Arena, and I'm not actively working on my own mod, thus I don't really need in-depth knowledge of mechanics. While I appreciate the effort of making a video, I'm not sure why this required a video to demonstrate... what, one thing? Especially being 23 minutes long.
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

dw6561

Thanks for the reply. I do agree that 23 minutes may have been excessive, but I wanted to show consistancy. In fact the only reason I stopped the video there was due to the obvious stalemate. Plus I figured that people could stop it at any time.

Again, I thought this was neat and wanted to show it off. I know this isn't going to change the world or anything (nor do I want to, I'm not that reckless), but I thought it could be useful for someone trying to make skill sets that the AI will actually use effectively. Not just for FFT Arena, but for anything really.

And I've found everything on this site, especially the wiki and everyone's ASM hacks to be very useful by the way.

Guru

Yeah the video was a lil long  :P It's cool to see how the AI works though. I never noticed this post before, your list is definitely handy. I'm surprised to see silence and poison so far down on the list. I always noticed in most ff games that the enemies react nicely to spells by inflicting silence. Course that was sometimes an advantage to the player when you could take advantage of the AI throwing away all their turns to keep silence inflicted.

I appreciate all your hard work xifanie! and everybody who contributes to the site. Keep it up guys! I just haven't made my way through all your wizardry yet but I'm getting there  ;)