• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:22:05 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

how to change battle sprites while in battle

Started by kaikaiser, August 10, 2015, 08:36:14 pm

kaikaiser

August 10, 2015, 08:36:14 pm Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 08:43:53 pm by kaikaiser
 Hello everyone. I wanted to say awesome job on all of this. This is my first post here and it's probably a question that has been asked a hundred time so I apologize in advance and thank you for taking time to help me with it so here goes: I want to create a sprite (dart from legend of dragoon) that has an ability that when used in battle will turn the dart sprite into the dragon man sprite (just like he would in legend of dragoon). This sprite would have different abilities. Is this possible? And if so could it be for a limited number of turns? If not that's OK maybe an ability to turn him back instead. Thank you so much for your help!

Angel

Currently, no. You would have to rework the majority of the battle plans to remove one unit to give the space in VRAM for the second sprite sheet, and also write the ASM to switch sheets.

However, if you limited it to a pre-determined battle, you could make it happen with an event (similar to Celia and Lede). Event space is fairly limited, though, so this isn't an option to you for every battle, much less random battles.
  • Modding version: PSX
* Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
<@Elric> I agree to that as well

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame
At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?

kaikaiser

Hmm mm wonder if that is something that could be worked on......

Thank you for the event idea I think I'll use that for now. I wanted to use this idea for a few characters so I will just created an event or something to Introduce  those  character hidden powers and just switch sprites for certain battles or scenes. COOL THANKS!

3lric

Quote from: kaikaiser on August 10, 2015, 11:57:30 pm
Hmm mm wonder if that is something that could be worked on......

Thank you for the event idea I think I'll use that for now. I wanted to use this idea for a few characters so I will just created an event or something to Introduce  those  character hidden powers and just switch sprites for certain battles or scenes. COOL THANKS!

Unless you are going to work on it, then no. The reason being is that yes, you can call conditions that trigger based on a certain condition and use that to transform said player. However, there is no way to do this with random battles. That's just not how the game works. You could only do this for story battles and every single story battle with this would need that condition put it in, so it would have to be a story mod as you wont have the space to do this in vanilla.

You also would not be able to link the transformed version to the version stat/skill wise. They would be 2 different characters. Honestly, the amount of work you'd have to do to achieve this one thing and make it not suck, would be extremely large. And even given all these things, you'd STILL have to take sprite limit into consideration.

The way you mentioned about doing it by introducing via event and then swapping out would be a more viable solution however, I don't know how you'd manage the formation screen without causing some O_o as you'd have both characters in there.

kaikaiser

Cool thanks for the advice elric. Maybe I'm just thinking too big. If I scale this idea way back do you have any suggestions how I could do an idea like this? Any advice would be appreciated.  Again thank you for your help!

Angel

You would really want it to be a boss battle, with Dart being the unplayable boss. And probably no more than one other dragoon, since you're limited to 9 unique sprites in battle due to VRAM limitations (5 player characters + 2 transforming characters = 9 sprites). In either case, you'd be looking at the transforming character being unplayable for cleanness' sake. Not super hard to accomplish, thankfully.
* Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
<@Elric> I agree to that as well

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame
At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?

kaikaiser

Thanks I'm getting more ideas now. I don't mind doing a story mod and thinking outside vanilla. Maybe I can do an entire story around an idea like this.