• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:52:01 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

ASM Hack Proposals (for modders and ASMers)

Started by Xifanie, August 14, 2014, 05:30:56 pm

3lric

• Modding version: PSX

Timbo

I think he found a slide rule.
  • Discord username: Timbo

Xifanie

September 13, 2014, 10:29:25 pm #42 Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 07:24:21 am by Xifanie
Coded:

• Main randomization routine

• Improved Brave/Faith caps

• Brave/Faith derandomizing

• Levels and regular stat leveling up (includes max level = party level option)

• Job levels unlock and job level boost for current job

• Enabling Serpentarius randomly popping up (3 different options)

Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Zero Dozer

I was just wondering why can't the Mimic imitate abilities from unique classes, like Agrias and Mustadio.

As for the Trasure/Jewel Hunter, I have some opinions:
1. I know ASM on the PSP is still an uncharted territory, but if it is done someday, it would be a good idea to rename the abilities Treasure/Jewel Extractor for the PSP version, as Move - Find Item was renamed to Treasure Hunter.
2. I can imagine a way which this ability would work. It would turn a target immediately into a chest/crystal without having to get past the countdown. Thing is, for the ability to work, a killing blow would be demanded. This is good when you want to farm crystals in order to learn abilities, or when you just want to loot things from your enemies. This could even be combined with Xif's Smart Treasure idea in order to increase its usefulness.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Xifanie

Quote from: Zero Dozer on September 14, 2014, 01:55:09 am
I was just wondering why can't the Mimic imitate abilities from unique classes, like Agrias and Mustadio.

Because you didn't check mimic for those abilities.

Quote from: Zero Dozer on September 14, 2014, 01:55:09 am
As for the Trasure/Jewel Hunter, I have some opinions:
1. I know ASM on the PSP is still an uncharted territory, but if it is done someday, it would be a good idea to rename the abilities Treasure/Jewel Extractor for the PSP version, as Move - Find Item was renamed to Treasure Hunter.
2. I can imagine a way which this ability would work. It would turn a target immediately into a chest/crystal without having to get past the countdown. Thing is, for the ability to work, a killing blow would be demanded. This is good when you want to farm crystals in order to learn abilities, or when you just want to loot things from your enemies. This could even be combined with Xif's Smart Treasure idea in order to increase its usefulness.

Look, first: Treasure/Jewel Extractor? Holy mother of Ajora D:
You go ahead an go think about renaming stuff when you manage to convert hacks to WotL, and everything is personal! It's not like I'd force anyone to use some names. I am forced for the Synthesis Shop and Soldier Office Upgrade hacks because the main menus aren't listed as editable fields by Tactext.
Instant crystal/treasure abilities work, yes. But that's broken as shit. Unless you don't give the slightest fuck about balance, stay away from that option.

You should do some more research before suggesting things and understand there's a reason I proposed/coded some things. I've made some of the biggest hacks on FFH and it's something I've been doing for over 7 years now.

Until you convert a hack for WotL use, I want you to stay clear of this topic and avoid any mention of WotL. Those questions are pointless to answer right now, as they will likely be forever. Your suggestions are honestly a thorn to me right now. Not only are they nothing anybody would care about, but makes me feel like I'm wasting my time. Like ok, I already get little to none feedback on proposed hacks for the PSX version, and then you come and talk about plans for PSP? Fuck off. Either try some useful discussion or don't post in this topic.
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)

TristanBeoulve

What about reinforcements? I know it would sort of break the game, but I suppose there could also be a rule based on level. Say, I have a party of level forty characters, and my enemies are level sixty. All of my characters, save one, die. My reinforcements arrive based on the level of the enemy, so let's say 4 of my soldiers come in, (one for every five levels). This is very similar to the reinforcements in Jeanne d'Arc. Is this possible?
"There is blood on my hands, how long till it lies on my heart?"

Xifanie

Both because of spritesheet limitations and the position of units on the map: No, not nearly possible.

TristanBeoulve

Quote from: Xifanie on September 14, 2014, 09:33:28 am
Both because of spritesheet limitations and the position of units on the map: No, not nearly possible.

Awww..... thanks for quick reply, though.  :D

Timbo

I think the reason you aren't getting nearly as much feedback as you like is that you've trumped everyone's expectations. I think most of us are blown away by what you are offering here.
  • Discord username: Timbo

Angel

* Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
<@Elric> I agree to that as well

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame
At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?

Jumza

I 100% agree with Jack, I have no idea how I could contribute at all, and I don't want to make 20 different posts saying good job in the same thread :P

But I would like to say Great job! I'm really excited to use this :) I'm glad you're making so much progress so quickly.
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

Xifanie

Quote from: Jumza on September 14, 2014, 02:46:07 pm
I 100% agree with Jack, I have no idea how I could contribute at all, and I don't want to make 20 different posts saying good job in the same thread :P

But I would like to say Great job! I'm really excited to use this :) I'm glad you're making so much progress so quickly.

Well, guess what: You can!
People being interested in what I do is a huge motivator boost for me, even though sometimes it just becomes hopeless... but having made it that far, I'm positive I'll complete it. I also figured out exactly how to code a very efficient square root formula too.

If I've been making progress quickly, it's going to slow down quite a bit now. The only times I work on that stuff are during my insomnia hours and when Toshiko is at work. Today I can't even work on the stuff because I used my brain to the point of total exhaustion yesterday, and during the night, my subconscious was like: "Let's do more brain intensive stuff!". So yeah, I'm still going to need more rest.

The Damned

(Rest up then. No need to overwork yourself. [/obvious statements]

Now, as far as feedback goes behind just "good/great/excellent job"....)

I'm guessing that the single-sex jobs don't screw things up for humans--that's good to see.

At present, the only other things I have to ask about your current efforts are these three questions:

1. Are the limitations on what monsters would be for purchase something that you yourself are going to have hard-code into this from the get-go or are they going to be slightly somewhat flexible in workbook or whatever is produced from this?

I'm asking for a variety of reasons, though your example of three non-generic monster classes last page is what made me realize neither I nor anyone else had asked it yet. Another reason I'm asking is because I was starting to wonder if making monsters--or classes in general--available in the Soldier Office based on encountering them would be possible, but it seems like it would be overly complicated & probably quite tedious for relatively little gain.

2. How has the "make specific classes only show up in specific cities/locations" part of this been working out so far (if you've gotten around to it)?

3. Finally, may I ask what it is about equipment on humans that's currently screwing things up?

I'm totally fine with humans being "naked" since, among other things, I imagine it makes things easier for you and I was wary of randomly generated equipment anyway even after you showed the gil display was easily changed. I'm mostly just curious as to what exactly equipment on humans screws up given I figured it would have issues when you first brought up this hack. Is it the pricing? Or...?

Otherwise, things look really good so far, especially the Serpentarius thing. Thanks again.

As far as more universal patches go, all I can think of right now are formula-related things, though I feel like I'm forgetting something now besides that.... Hmm....

Regardless, I'll ask a formula-related question since I think everyone would be able to get some use out of it: Did anyone ever make it so that all of the standard weapon formulas--1-7--save for formula 2 could take status?

I'm pretty sure various people over the years have mentioned wanting HP Absorb or Healing or just Gun weapon formulas to be able take status, but I'm not sure if anyone has done it or if it's in a workbook somewhere already.

*goes off to watch a movie and try to remember what non-formula thing he was going to suggest*
"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

Xifanie

• Look at the screenshots I provided.

• Uh, that's coded. That's like the easiest fucking thing to code.

• Implementing equipment costs would negatively affect other things like stats, JP, Level, since I can't give the stuff for free, and I'm sure people don't want that. Plus, which equipment would be available would vary greatly from a modder to another.

• Stop asking questions about a hack you're not even going to use.

• Stop making such pointlessly long posts.

• Stop starting all your posts with parenthesis (no seriously, that's a retarded tic of yours).

The Damned

September 14, 2014, 07:16:48 pm #54 Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 08:35:43 pm by Xifanie

I feel like I should PM this to you, but I'll just post it here. This will be my last post clogging up the thread regardless.

The parentheses thing is less a "tic" than it is me trying to get anything tangential out of the way, not that I imagine that makes a difference to you. Otherwise my pointlessly long posts would probably be even pointlessly longer. Regardless, I'll try to stop if it so honestly annoys you or anyone else, but I'm not psychic; you're literally the first person to say anything about it IIRC.

So my sincere apologies for that and the other assuredly noisome things. No need to be so rude about it though.

As for not using that hack, I'm assuming you're talking about the weapons I just asked about. I'd totally use that and I know at least ARENA would be able to use it, even if I can't speak directly for FFMaster or anyone else. Still, given you said not to ask for personal hacks, I'm a bit confused about why it would matter if I used it at all if other people found it useful. If they don't, then, yeah, there's no point in pursuing it at all. I figured it would be a pretty low priority anyway; I was merely asking if it already existed despite my not being able to find anything presently. As you are quite aware, I can be completely oblivious to otherwise obvious things, especially given how much textual excrement I fling at the screen; so it may well already exist.

Sigh. Despite the fact that we rarely see eye-to-eye, I thank you again for your work & your quick answers. I also respect and thank that you're using up your free time on stuff like this and the site as a whole instead of the other stuff you could doubtless be doing. I'll stay out of your way from now on, especially since I don't want to clog this or any other thread with fighting. If you want to continue this in PMs, then I'll try to keep my responses, if any, concise there.

Have a good night.
"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

Xifanie

September 16, 2014, 05:04:32 am #55 Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 07:24:06 am by Xifanie
Coded:

• Automatic JP spending with randomized learning order (This way you might get Fire 2 but not Fire), and of course you can just disable it if you want the player to have full control over which skills are learned

• Automatic ability learning is based on the ability's % to learn, so with 1 cycle you'll barely learn any abilities, while with say 10 cycles, you're nearly guaranteed to spend your JP til the last drop.

• Option to bypass "Cannot learn with JP"

• Equip some randomly available secondary skillset/reaction/support/movement

Now, I have another question to ask:
How do you people feel I should implement the bonus JP to jobs globally? It would be excessively tedious to code all options, so I'm looking into what people would prefer.

• Add a static amount to all jobs, even those not unlocked, ex: +500JP all jobs

• Add a random amount to all jobs, even those not unlocked, ex: +0 to 1000JP all jobs

• Only add JP to jobs that are currently unlocked

• Gradually add JP to unlocked jobs, so that if one ends up being unlocked, it could receive bonus JP too

Angel

The only option I'd be against is #3, though I think I lean strongest toward #4. #4 is the most logical, but #2 feels more like what vanilla would have done if it were implemented.
* Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
<@Elric> I agree to that as well

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame
At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?

TristanBeoulve

Choto

#4 is the most logical, I like that one.

Vaan

I'd say 4 is better as it is the most helpful one in there.
"    One of these days I'll fly an airship of my own. I'll be a sky pirate, free to go where I will.    ,,
   ~ Vaan