• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Limited ability use for Onion Knights

Started by Nyzer, July 18, 2015, 09:08:22 pm

Nyzer

July 18, 2015, 09:08:22 pm Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 09:31:35 pm by nyzer
So I was poking around the Onion Knights and reading here about them, trying to think about some ways to make them more viable for use in the game.

I know the idea of giving them a standard skillset means that the skillset is inherently tied to whatever they've learned in Squire as opposed to their own skillset's abilities. I mean, it works, but it's messed up that way. And if you're changing Squire's skillset, or OK's requirements, there's no guarantee you'll have every ability going into OK.

But something I haven't seen pointed out on here is that, if you change their skillset's Action Menu command to Monster, then Onion Knights always have 3 guaranteed abilities - four, if you put four abilities in the set and walk next to a Beastmaster.

Just thought I'd throw that out there for anyone that might be interested. 3 abilities at least makes the OK halfway decent, right? Depends on how powerful your chosen abilities are...

Something to note is that this setup not only prevents other classes from using the OK's action skills, but it doesn't prevent them from using any support or movement skills you learn in the OK (if you equip Accumulate JP or use that small amount of starter JP, since that's the only way to get any).
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Eternal

This is some really interesting information, and quite needed for FFT KO PSP, since I was encountering a bug with their skillset. Thanks for the info!
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

Nyzer

Couple other things I should mention.

The OK's action abilities don't need to be learned for the OK to use them if you do it this way.

And slapping Innate Beastmaster on the OK doesn't unlock that fourth ability slot for them.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown